Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Fantastic Mr.Fox - I really enjoyed this. Most people have said that it's strange, but that is precisely what I enjoyed about it. Loved the animation and the landscapes.

Agree about the animation and the design - it looks amazing, but the combination of Wes Anderson's quirky style and the children's story just didn't work for me and a lot of the kids in the cinema (including mine) were bored and restless when there wasn't any actual action on the screen.

Also saw (very belatedly) "300" recently. Enjoyable nonsense, though a bit dubious that the good guys were all white and the bad guys all black or arabic (also the evil king is a 12ft camp homsexual maniac.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Films I watched recently:

Up - very good
    Hot Fuzz (again) - still excellent
    An American Werewolf In London (again) - Class film.
    Doghouse - a bit meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Ransom: Was on TV3 on Sunday night. Was ok. Kept me entertained but sure isn't that what films are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Films I watched recently:

Up - very good
    Hot Fuzz (again) - still excellent
    An American Werewolf In London (again) - Class film.
    Doghouse - a bit meh.

Jesus that was an awful film, i'm a sucker for a zombie flick but that was really bad.

Finished the book Perfume:the story of a murderer yesterday and watched the film last night, i don't think the story really translates to the screen that well but it was a decent enough watch if only for the fantastic set design.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

halloween = stone cold classic
    forgetting sarah marshall = hugely over rated
    oceans 11 = never fails to entertain , a movie that whizzez by , even the always awfull andy garcia cant damage it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

last two weeks i've watched:

taken - liam neeson goes to paris. then liam neeson kills paris.

law abiding citizen - entertaining enough. gerard butler's family gets killed, then gerard butler kills everyone.

i love you man - very funny movie where a guy has no mates, then meets a nice mate.

memories of murder - detective movie, absolutely excellent.

labyrinth - cool muppet-based movie in which david bowie has a frighteningly large cock-bulge.

chinatown - jack nicholson in a noir-style detective movie. thoroughly awesome.

haute tension - french horror movie. shyter than martyrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

watched crank last night-surprisingly enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭domcq

Dead Snow - Nazi zombie flick set in the mountains where an isolated ski group get butchered. Good fun.

Looking for Eric - Absolutely loved this movie. Another Film 4 triumph.

Fish Tank - Saw this in the cinema recently. A smashing film with a sense of foreboding throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Also saw (very belatedly) "300" recently. Enjoyable nonsense, though a bit dubious that the good guys were all white and the bad guys all black or arabic (also the evil king is a 12ft camp homsexual maniac.)

Its silly to take 300 as anything less than comic fantasy, the "persians are evil" criticism would work if it was set in the real world but it isnt, its also got goat headed men playing the flute, a quasimodo like deformed turncoat, a man with crab claws for hands, diseased mystics, ninjas with monster faces, its not meant to be taken seriously in any way shape or form

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Watched Tropic Thunder yesterday on Sky Movies HD. Good film:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

watched crank last night-surprisingly enjoyable

Watched this and the sequel recently. Complete and utter nonsense, but strangely watchable. You have to admire the way they worked in an excuse for them to shag in public in two movies in a row!

Had my annual Halloween splatterfest on Saturday and went to a double bill of Saw 6 and Zombieland. Saw 6 was surprisingly good, at least compared to the two most recent episodes, and there was at least one good if not jaw-dropping twist in it. I loved Zombieland, best comedy-horror since Shaun Of The Dead.

blastman wrote: »
    Watched this and the sequel recently. Complete and utter nonsense, but strangely watchable. You have to admire the way they worked in an excuse for them to shag in public in two movies in a row!

Had my annual Halloween splatterfest on Saturday and went to a double bill of Saw 6 and Zombieland. Saw 6 was surprisingly good, at least compared to the two most recent episodes, and there was at least one good if not jaw-dropping twist in it. I loved Zombieland, best comedy-horror since Shaun Of The Dead.

thanks for the heads up, but i'll give it a few months before i look at crank 2. would be scared it might be overkill watching both too close to each other. glad to hear there's another public shag scene!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

watched Kung Fu Hustel I really liked it funny in places and some of the fight scens where class.

Drag me to Hell , didnt like it got a laugh or two but nothign more,could see everything coming ,liked the water scene towards the end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

Watched the first Twilight film the other night, Jesus, i have a new favorite movie. Its so good plus Edward is fine. CANT WAIT for the sequel coming out soon. :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Watched the first Twilight film the other night, Jesus, i have a new favorite movie. Its so good plus Edward is fine. CANT WAIT for the sequel coming out soon. :):):)

i saw that with my girlfriend, i thought edward looked like he was missing a chromosome.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

genericguy wrote: »
    i saw that with my girlfriend, i thought edward looked like he was missing a chromosome.
    haha, now now, theres no need for that ! haha :D Awa i know hes a bit weird looking in the film with the pail skin and all that but theres still something yummy about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

thanks for the heads up, but i'll give it a few months before i look at crank 2. would be scared it might be overkill watching both too close to each other. glad to hear there's another public shag scene!!!:D

Especially when the delectable Ms. Smart is involved :)

It's not a bad idea to watch them close together as the second one picks up literally from the minute the first one finishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I watched an interesting one called 'Hush' about a fella and his girlfriend travelling on the M1 in england and have a near miss with the van in front - when the van swerves the back shutter opens halfway and they can see a naked girl screaming... so the film poses the question 'what would you do'?.. very good for a directorial debut..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Twilight is horrible, watch this instead:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Twilight is horrible, watch this instead:

Great film, bought it on BluRay and i'm gonna read the book soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Life is hot in cracktown

An independent drama depicting some of the harsh realties associated with living in poor urban United States. The film revolves around 4 different stories and portrays a range of characters struggling to survive in a ghetto infested with crack. It's pretty gritty at times and presents a nice sense of realism. It's slow moving and quite depressing but a worthwhile watch.

Infestation

Another indepedent release where a slacker awakes to find his office and indeed the outside world infested with these giant flying bugs. Despite it's low budget the film does well and keeps you entertained. Some decent humor along the way. Yeah it's predictable in how the end pans out but it's a good film. Way exceeded my expectations.

Sex drive

Took me a long time to get around to watching this one but well worth it in the end. It's up there as one of the funniest films i've seen in a while. Nothing original about it but it had some good jokes and characters. The last 20 minutes in it were probably the best.

Franklyn

I thought this was going to be a full on sci fi film but turns out to be more of a pyschological drama. It's four seperate stories that drag out until around an hour into the film. It's really slow starting and it's only close enough to the end that you get any pay off. It's not a bad film but i thought it tried to be a bit too intelligent than it was. Some of the stories didn't really come across as important when it was all said and done. None the less the twist of sorts isn't too bad and you could watch a lot worse. I'm some people would find this good-very good.

blastman wrote: »
    Especially when the delectable Ms. Smart is involved :)

It's not a bad idea to watch them close together as the second one picks up literally from the minute the first one finishes.

what he's alive???:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hello

Terminator Salvation

Oh dear oh dear we watched this last night and all i can say is d'oh..What were they thinking..I didnt watch the previous one because well i just thought it was wrong that terminator was a girl not being sexist but no twas the wrong way to go...

This one it didnt start of to bad but it seemed to loose it after a while, ok they blow something up saying oh this will bring them out which it does and then they blow up something else and nething happens mmm wrong should have thought a lot more about it and mm where was the theme song..Nope not impressed at all it looks like he took a few things from Transformers aswell and what was the whole point of the lady getting her boobs out why put a megan fox in it..

Awake 2007 with Jessica Alba

This was a good movie now I thought, very sneaky had lots of surprises in it..Jessica Alba is actually quite surprising never thought much of her being an actress but any movie i have seen so far with her in it has been really good..Well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Sex drive

Took me a long time to get around to watching this one but well worth it in the end. It's up there as one of the funniest films i've seen in a while. Nothing original about it but it had some good jokes and characters. The last 20 minutes in it were probably the best.

Watched Sex Drive aswell recently it cracked me up, had it for a while aswell and never thought to much about it until picking random movies one night well worth a watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Black Dynamite sucka!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

TomCo wrote: »
    Black Dynamite sucka!

Word.

Watched Big Fish for the first time tonight, I liked it although I don't think I was missing much by putting off the viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Frost/Nixon which a dramatized recounted tale of David Frosts famous three one hour interviews with former president Richard Nixon a few months after Nixon resigned over the Watergate scandal. Michael Sheen who played Frost gives pretty much the same performance he gave in The Queen where he played Tony Blair in terms of facial mannerisms.
    . Of the two films based around the Watergate era, I preferred "All the Presidents men. Still Frost Nixon has a strong cast with Frank Langella playing Nixon and Oliver Blatt (who you'll remember as the White house counsel from West Wing) playing journalist Bob Zelnick.
    The premise of the movie is very much about Frost's Goliath taking on the Nixon's Goliath as he seeks to out maneuver Nixon in a series of interviews culminating in the climatic Watergate interview that ultimately made Frost a household name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Frost/Nixon which a dramatized recounted tale of David Frosts famous three one hour interviews with former president Richard Nixon a few months after Nixon resigned over the Watergate scandal. Michael Sheen who played Frost gives pretty much the same performance he gave in The Queen where he played Tony Blair in terms of facial mannerisms.
    . Of the two films based around the Watergate era, I preferred "All the Presidents men. Still Frost Nixon has a strong cast with Frank Langella playing Nixon and Oliver Blatt (who you'll remember as the White house counsel from West Wing) playing journalist Bob Zelnick.
    The premise of the movie is very much about Frost's Goliath taking on the Nixon's Goliath as he seeks to out maneuver Nixon in a series of interviews culminating in the climatic Watergate interview that ultimately made Frost a household name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Alien Trespass

Brilliant throwback to 50's sci fi. It plays like a spoof but i think it came off more as a homage to films like the blob, war of the worlds, day the earth stood still, etc. They captured the color saturation, language, sets, clothes and even the casting perfectly. I thought Eric McCormack was great in it. It won't blow you away but it's a fun 90 minutes if you like simple old sci fi classics.

Shottas

This was heralded as the Jamaican version of City of God but turned out to more like their version of any stereotypical American 'gangsta' movie. It started off a bit promising and the actors weren't too bad. Bob Marley's son and another actor called Paul Campbell done well enough but the film just suffered from too many cliches, bad direction and cheesy shoot out scenes. Never really captured the realism behind the life of someone aspiring to be a shotta. The music was probably the best part about it. I can't believe this actually has a cult following. Also if you decide to watch it, stick on the subtitles.

Still Waiting

Watched this because i had seen the first one and liked it. It's okay and has a few moments and laughs but it falls so short of it's predecessor which wasn't even a great film by any means. It brings nothing new to the table and seem to rely on racist jokes/toilet humor a little too much. Worth the watch if you liked the first one but don't expect it to be as funny.

A Perfect Getaway

This is one of those films with a twist close to the end but it just falls so flat and pretty much treats the audience like an idiot.
    I mean there are times when the couple are alone and they refer to the other couple as possibly being the murderers. Why would they do that if they were alone? The only reason i can assume is to trick the viewer
    Anyways the first 2/3 of this film is quite boring and the actors don't really bring anything to the table. At least the scenery made a good backdrop and most is filmed in daylight. I can get why some people might like it as a thriller but for me it just seems like they added the twist for the hell of it and decided not to make the effort with anything before it.

The Killing Floor

Hadn't heard of this before and didn't know what to expect but i was glad i checked it out. A man buys a new penthouse and begins to receive photos of a murder that took place there and then begins to feel stalked in his own home. A pretty decent thriller that done well despite it suffering from a known cast or big budget. The end was pretty clever and not overly predictably. Worth checking out.

Zombieland

Even though it's quite a mindless zombie film that doesn't really have much direction i really enjoyed this for what it was. Some really good comedy moments and the Bill Murray scene was brilliant. Some great kills and i like that Jesse Eisenberg fella. He's awkward and shy without being annoying in the way Shia LeBouf is. And Woody Harrelson finally plays a bad ass again. Not as good as Shaun of the dead but it comes pretty close. My main problem with was that there seemed to be a lot of filler inbetween the gore. Almost like they tried to squeeze a coming of age film into the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Surrogates - really not as bad as some people say is it, it's enjoyable enough, just not brilliant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement