Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Dead Man's Shoe's - What a film, from start to end it's just superb. Best film I've seen in a long time.

The fourth Kind - Went to the cinema to see this last night. It is based on a true story of paranormal activities taking place in a small Alaskan town.
    The way this film is shot it seems more like a documentary than anything else. I thought it got fairly messed up in parts, a fairly average film IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Last watched The Condemned and Dragonball Evolution. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

How to lose friends and Alienate People

- Simon Pegg needs to stop making the same film over and over again.

- For all the crap she takes, Megan Fox is probably a better actress than Kirsten Dunst.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

How to lose friends and Alienate People

- Simon Pegg needs to stop making the same film over and over again.

- For all the crap she takes, Megan Fox is probably a better actress than Kirsten Dunst.

I saw that last night too. I like Simon Pegg, but I do agree he does seem a little repetitive. But Fox is not better the Dunst. Fox annoys me. She was good in this film but I really disliked her in Transformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

I watched changeling last night and ive decided its in my top ten saddest movies of all time.:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Mary and Max

Was recommended to me by a friend of my girlfriend, who also recommended Elf, so I wasn't exactly expecting anything great with this...
    Very different film, and a very entertaining watch. (even more so when I found out it is based on a true story)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

angel heart , saw it for the 1st time last night , very weird but excellent film , mickey rourke was such a wasted talent for so long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

In the past week:

Paranormal Activity (2007)
    Ambitious horror movies like this usually fail miserably. And I'm a tough critic, most horror movies fail for me. So I tried to be gentle going into this film. But so boring, so repetitive, I almost did walk out. Just over halfway through, when things picked up, it got a little bit better. The best thing about this movie is the way it plays off the audience. It would be terrible to watch it on DVD or on your computer. The last scene makes it worthwhile. The lack of credits at the end had a great effect in my small cinema, nobody wanted to be the first to leave, so for 5 minutes everyone sat staring silently at a blank screen.

Up (2009)
    I've come to the conclusion that Pixar movies are just not quite my cup of tea. I felt the same with Ratatouille, Wall-E, The Incredibles. Entertaining, great animation, a few laughs... with a couple of tweaks or cuts, these would be top notch. But I feel like I just don't fit into their target audience. Still, another good movie, better than Wall-E in my opinion, not quite as good as Ratatouille. The first 40mins were excellent, then it went downhill. The dog was very funny.

The Hurt Locker (2008)
    Bomb disposal unit in Iraq gives plenty of opportunity for tension. Gripping opening scenes, maintains it fairly well all the way through. I think the film was weakened by
    James going a bit nuts
    towards the end. The casting could have been better, but a decent show overall.

M (1931)
    Starts out as a straightforward manhunt for a child murderer. Really comes together by the end, though. Love the final scenes
    the trial by the criminals, where the meaning of Grieg's "In the Hall of the Mountain King" becomes obvious... and then the great scene, the child murderer issuing his defence... with those eyeballs! What a great scene.
    Chilling and well made.

I Love You Man (2009)
    Surprisingly funny, in the beginning at least. The jokes get old quickly enough, but remains entertaining enough. "Brosef Goebells".

Roman Polanski: Wanted and Desired (2008)
    Very relevant now that he's been caught. A feature length documentary about Polanski and the court case in the 70s. If you're a fan of his movies, it is interesting to see how so many of his twisted themes emerge in these real life events. A good story - the lawyers and the judge in the case all very individual.

Die Fälscher / The Counterfeiters (2007)
    If I had known that it was a Nazi concentration camp movie, I wouldn't have started it, but it was intriguing from the very beginning. Great movie, top notch performance by the main guy, and poses some interesting ethical questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Therese and Isabelle
    The Ugly Truth
    The Bridge to Nowhere

The Ugly Truth is quite funny. The other two films weren't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Black Dynamite! :D
    Awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spudayto

Just watched "Adventureland". Which ,although the name might suggest otherwise, has a serious tone to it with comedy around the edges. Also recently saw "The Wackness" with Ben Kingsly(spelling?) and that was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

Escape From Alcatraz great movie, a classic. Although slow moving, I never got bored, in fact I'd've liked a few more minutes. I didn't want it to end.

And recently I've watched Duel Spielberg's first film I believe. I have always loved that one. And the original Superman with Christopher Reeve and Gene Hackman, what a movie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

BopNiblets wrote: »
    Black Dynamite! :D
    Awesome.

Very funny film! i was in stitches a lot of the time. Brilliant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

500 Days of Summer - really enjoyed this, funny and moving in places, good leads and far more real than most rom-coms. Soundtrack is pretty great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Tried to watch 'Orgazmo' - turned it off after 40 mins of hoping it would get even a bit funny/decent.

but no. terrible movie - tried hard but no, didn't work at all for me and I got bored.

Shame cos Trey Parker does have some talent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Watched "An American Werewolf In London" last night on blu ray.

It really scrubs up well on the newer format, and made watching an old favourite even more enjoyable.

I also picked up The Wizard Of Oz and It's A Wonderful Life on blu ray, so am looking forward to seeing how they look. Especially the colour version of the latter as I have never seen it that way, as the blu ray has both the B/W and colour versions on it.

The Wizard of Oz is a cool little set too as it comes with two blu ray discs and a dvd disc.

The blu rays discs are the film on one disc and the extra on another.

The dvd then has the standard version of the film and the singalong version of the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Pontypool - really is sausage, bad is bag, this is balloon, is is aunt. Balloon aunt sausage bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Pontypool - really is sausage, bad is bag, this is balloon, is is aunt. Balloon aunt sausage bag.

Sorry, what? You saying it's crap or great?

the taking of pelham 123 - snoozefest. Denzel saves the day again!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

Disney's "A Christmas Carol"

Found it very disapointing. A few good moments for the 3D and good voice acting but thats about as far as it goes. . .

Although supposed to be a kids film, I cant see kids enoying it or even really following it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 spudayto

Watched "A guide to recognizing our saints" based on the memoirs of the director with shia lebouf,Channing Tatum,Rosario Dawson and Robert Downey Jnr. One of the best film's I have seen this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Saving Private Ryan - First time I've ever seen it and I dunno if I was in an emotional humour but I feel well and truly unable to sleep because of it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Went on a movie marathon.

1st - Boondock Saints to ease me in. Still a brilliant film, a must see.
    2nd - King of New York. The ever cool Christopher Walken.
    3rd - The evil dead. Bruce Campbell. Says it all.
    4th - Van wilder. Chewing gum for the brain and funny as hell.

That kinda killed 9 -10 hours. Wa tired so went to bed. :D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Finally got around to seeing '9' last night. Decent film, if not amazing. Technically excellent, the set pieces are fantastic. But that's all it feels like - set piece after set piece. I thought it lacked a little charm. Still well worth a watch though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lockie83

ZombieLand - Very Witty, Fast Paced and just out and out eye candy.

Its up there with Shaun of the Dead in terms of being a good horror comedy.

I also saw "How to Alienate People and Lose all of your Friends" - Very very bland, I really wanted to like this film I really did but it was bland. Simon Pegg was ok in it, Megan Fox looked as hot as hell in it but seemed like she didn't care about the role and I just didn't buy or invest in the love story in it.

Tormented - A decent Horror Comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭GEM_13

watched Drag me to hell last night.if this is the best horror of the last decade as it is billed ,then there have been some bad horrors in the past 10 years.honestly,it was absolutely terrible.the script must have been written on a booze-filled night out and the acting was terrible.it was more of a comedy than a horror

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

I thought the film was advertised as an "evil dead" type film. And thats how i thought of it when i watched it, and enjoyed it for that. Twas an ok film

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Law Abiding Citizen - Brilliant, Gerard Butler has made up for all the shíte he's come out with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

pontypool brilliant! if flawed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement