Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

zombieland, very slight,very short, so so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Men who stare at goats -uTTER rubbish , one of worst films ever , 4 funny bits and 3 are in the trailer

Rosemarys Baby - nO WAY is it one of the best horrors of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lockie83

A Christmas Carol - New version starring Jim Carey, very dark, the first 3/4 of the movie was done excellently but the last bit seemed rushed to get everything included in it. I don't understand why they didn't add 10 minutes on to the run time, the ending seemed awfully rushed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

An Education-Very good for the most part, strong acting from the leads

Law Abiding Citizen-Intelligence insulting, ludicrous rubbish, with some scenery chewing from Gerard Butler (that's two awful movies in a row after the Ugly Truth) and a thoroughly unlikeable, smug performance from Jamie Foxx

The Box- Not as bad as Southland Tales, not as good as Donnie Darko. Solid three star entertainment with lots of ideas it doesn't quite execute, and iffy lead performances, but reasonably entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

American Werewolf in London, first time in about 20 years! Still holds up well, Jenny Agutter still swoonsome and the transformation effects still effective, old school beats CGI anyday. The mix of laughs and creppiness (even a bit grim at times as the decomposing Jack comes back to warn David of his fate) works well. Only thing that misfires is the abrupt nature of the ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭TobyZiegler

The Men Who Stare at Goats - disaapointing. Not funny.

Up - lovely film and v. funny.

Fantastic Mr. Fox - Good, but very strange.

Zombieland - V. good for a mindless comedy

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Men Who Stare At Goats- more teehee funny than ha ha funny, and most of the best one liners are in the trailer, there are some very funny parts in it though, but it kind of falls apart at the end

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

I watched Dark City - Directors Cut for the first time the other day. It's a cracker of a move, I'd highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Un prophète - a brilliant film. Damn French cinema is really kicking my ass lately.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Started watching Pandorum and had to turn it off. The Editing was making me sick.

Watched House of the Devil then, not bad, built tension well initially but ultimately a letdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Anybody watching 'The Men who stare at Goats' should look at the Jon Ronson documentary 'Crazy Rulers of the World'.One of the episodes was called "The Men who stare at Goats" and deals with the actual First Earth Battalion!

Read the book too.

America YEAH! We don't take no **** from goats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

2012 - A pretty damn entertaining popcorn movie, well worth seeing if you fancy a bit of braindead, CGI laden eye candy

Sin City - one of my all time faves, and rightly so... Visually stunning, fantastic casting and perfect pacing. Might even watch the extended version this evening!

Elf - not as bad as I expected, but hasn't exactly done anything to restore my faith in Will Ferrell after the godawful Taladega Nights...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Snesfan

Tony EH wrote: »
    Anybody watching 'The Men who stare at Goats' should look at the Jon Ronson documentary 'Crazy Rulers of the World'.One of the episodes was called "The Men who stare at Goats" and deals with the actual First Earth Battalion!

Read the book too.

America YEAH! We don't take no **** from goats!

Saw it last weekend, great movie. Loved jeff bridges playing essentially "the dude" I'd love to read the book, is it more or less told in the same way or is it more factual?

Sorry, can't say. Haven't seen the film. But the book is a hoot, but strangely spooky too, considering that the most powerful armed nation in the world is engaging in such hairbrained schemes.

There's some sinppets of the 2004 Channel 4 documentary on YouTube.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

500 days of summer. Kinda sweet, great soundtrack.
    And funny people. Not so funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,249 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

zombieland, really liked it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Moon - good movie, but a bit underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

Good will hunting, great movie, dialogue is well written

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

+1 on that big show. Love this scene..............

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Recently I've watched:

Sicko: I'm not really a big fan of Michael Moore films but I actually really enjoyed this a lot. I think my favourite part was when
    when they were sailing to Guantanamo Bay for medical attention.
    Well worth a watch.

The Omen: I've been meaning to watch this for a very very long time but only got around to watching it the other day. Really enjoyed it a lot. Good decent horror/thriller and definitely worth watching.

Beethoven: Purely for nostalgic purposes. Good watch though. Honest.

2012: Mindless entertainment. Well worth the admission price into the cinema. Go see it and be entertained. Little on the long side though.

• Advertisement

'The Core'

Multi-race, multi-ethnic, mutli-sex band of irritating unbelievables go to the centre of the earth because it's stopped spinning and they need to use "weapons of mass destruction" to kick start it again. By the numbers, all boxes ticked, American nonsense.

A load of ****, starring Hillary Swank.

Rated S...

...for Shite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭chakav

The Fourth Kind

Not bad at all. Could have done with a bit of 'gore' to really kick it up a notch I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Glengarry Glen Ross: Simple and amazing.

2012:
    Simpletons and CGI

Adventureland: Dazed and Confused clone set in the 80's

Blood: The last Vampire: Some semi-decent fight scenes, mixed with some tepid acting, and a disappointing anti-climax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Finally got around to seeing '9' last night. Decent film, if not amazing. Technically excellent, the set pieces are fantastic. But that's all it feels like - set piece after set piece. I thought it lacked a little charm. Still well worth a watch though.

I went to see the wrong 9 the other night. Slightly aware of Daniel Day Lewis in a movie called Nine and so thought that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I went to see the wrong 9 the other night. Slightly aware of Daniel Day Lewis in a movie called Nine and so thought that was it.

Hahahahaha! That has made my day.:D
    Easy mistake to make though..
    Hehehehehehehe...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

LazyClouds wrote: »
    Hahahahaha! That has made my day.:D
    Easy mistake to make though..
    Hehehehehehehe...:p

What's even funnier is us sitting there just as it was about to start, hot-dog, popcorn, coffee, two cherry Chupa Chups .. compaining to my companion about how adults bringing kids to movies they clearly won't understand bugs the feck out me :p

Ten minutes later there we were sheepishly sneaking out and off to see Cold Souls instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Empire Records.

I totally forgot how much I love the movie.
    So I promptly bought it from HMV :D

The music, the .. everything in it, it's just great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Watched The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford for the second time Saturday. One of the greatest films of the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Men Who Stare At Goats:

Wasn't great really. A few funny bits but most of those are already shown in the trailer. Pretty random storyline tbh which really didn't make much sense at all. Seems like the story writers just threw a load of random things together and hoped for the best. Good cast though despite the story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

That_Guy wrote: »
    The Men Who Stare At Goats:

Wasn't great really. A few funny bits but most of those are already shown in the trailer. Pretty random storyline tbh which really didn't make much sense at all. Seems like the story writers just threw a load of random things together and hoped for the best. Good cast though despite the story.

I haven't seen the film but George Clooney doing comedy just doesn't work for me, actually i don't think i've ever liked him in anything, i just really don't see anything funny about him at all.

The last film i seen was Adventureland, i really liked it, i was expecting something more along the lines of Superbad as thats how it was marketed, but it was more of a drama with a few laughs thrown in for good measure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement