Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I have just finished watching Superman II Richard Donner's cut.

The whole story behind this is interesting. If you think Superman II is Superman II full stop, you may be surprised if you watch the Donner cut.

Another dude called Richard Lester 'directed' the cinema release, but Donner actually filmed a lot of it, some of his film was used, some was not.

Anyway, I thought it very good, a little darker than the 'original' and very, very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Twilight:

Just... awful. Really didn't appeal to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Jennifer's Body - oh deary F*ckin me!

I'm gonna watch Twilight at some stage soon to see what the fuss is about!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Shifty: Worth a watch, few things I didn't like about it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

fluke wrote: »
    Jennifer's Body - oh deary F*ckin me!

Terrible, isn't it?

I wouldn't say this is any better!

• Advertisement

jasonorr wrote: »
    Terrible, isn't it?

What was the point of this movie, not scary, not funny and no sense of depth to it. Thick really.

I wouldn't say this is any better!

Twilight - prob not but i just said i'd either read the book or watch the film - so i'll watch the movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I watched it last night after a year of solidly refusing to go near it. Well I didn't dislike the the film but at the same time it's a bit meh. I really didn't like the camerawork and the special effects weren't all that special, they didn't look right. Overall its just an ok film, with plenty of teen angst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

schindlers list
    awsome movie....just love it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Last night on TG4, one of the most strangely-titled films I can recall: Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson. Directed by Robert Altman, starring Paul Newman in the title role, and a whole lot of other people. It even has a young Harvey Keitel as a comedically ineffectual hanger-on cousin.

The general outline is straight from history: Buffalo Bill Cody's Wild West Show hired Sioux Chief Sitting Bull to take part: basically, to ride out in front of the crowd and get booed at. Sitting Bull's men were famous as the group who took out General Custer at Wounded Knee, so this was going to be quite a PR coup for Buffalo Bill. It took quite a bit of negotiations, since contracts as we understand them were a foreign concept to a nomadic tribe. Then Sitting Bull arrived, and it went downhill from there: he wasn't some huge, glorious tribal chief, but a complicated shaman type, not very tall, old, and weak after years of incarceration, yet still proud.

So, you can probably guess the rest: a clash of cultures on multiple levels. White man vs. Indian; nomadic life vs. the relatively fixed and repetitive world of the Wild West show; money and possessions vs the "natural" lifestyle; happiness vs pride; history vs. "progress"; and the real world vs show business, a theme Altman would return to more than once in his career. I admit to getting slightly bored in the middle, though some of the side stories helped keep things moving, such as watching Annie Oakley's expert shooting despite wearing a corset and suffering an injury.

The film is not 100% historically accurate, and ending was not conventional - but this is Altman we're talking about here, after all. I was left to wonder about the battle of wits between Buffalo Bill and Sitting Bull, and who actually won, in the end.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

500 days of summer: Cookie cut indie tripe. Sweater Vests ✔, Quirky outfits and conversation seques ✔, Indie music ✔, nauseating amounts of browns, creams, leathers and antique wood ✔.

Moon: Terribly predictable. Sam Rockwell was amazing though. Spacey was criminally underused. Overall though the script wasn't the best, nor the plot and progression.
    Like a copy of 2001 that's been through a shredder with multiplicity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope.

It was on UTV today. Freakin' sweet film and one of my all time faves. It was a shame they didnt show the original version. They showed the new and improved(:rolleyes:) version.

I don't care though because I love that film. Hopefully they'll show The Empire Strikes back next Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Moon, Paranormal Activity and Funny Games (the American version)

Moon was great, really enjoyed it. Clint Mansell strikes again with a killer soundtrack too.

Paranormal Activity... not so much.

Funny Games, harrowing and so well shot. I could say so many good things about it but all that needs to be said is that I still feel a little chill at the events in the film.

New Moon: Was dragged to see it kicking and screaming by my girlfriend. It really is a terrible film and one which has some seriously inappropriate and messed up messages. The way it glamourises teen suicide is in no way appropriate for the films intended audience.

New Moon: Was dragged to see it kicking and screaming by my girlfriend. It really is a terrible film and one which has some seriously inappropriate and messed up messages. The way it glamourises teen suicide is in no way appropriate for the films intended audience.

What you are saying is true...but i get the idea the films are being marketed towards the twee emo generation...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Ciaran B

Black Dynamite

A spot-on satire of the blaxploitation genre but done with real heart. One of the funniest films I’ve ever scene. Sucka.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Watched Bruno last night.Jesus it was bad,not one single laugh from me seriously unfunny and i actually quite enjoyed Borat the first time is saw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

weiland79 wrote: »
    Watched Bruno last night.Jesus it was bad,not one single laugh from me seriously unfunny and i actually quite enjoyed Borat the first time is saw it.

Jasus, your a 'tough crowd' .. did you not even laugh when he got whipped and jumped out the window? Or how about that 'Gay Converter' guy, when after the speech, he asked him was he coming on to him? Or the Taliban guy when he slags off Bin Laden? Or the bits with Donny the hick!? Or the Swingers Party when the guy flips when he's staring at shagging the chick??

I've seen it twice now and thought the above scenes were a real good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 RexBanner316

Havent actually seen bruno, but thought borat was funny stuff. cant wait for paranormal activity. Cos when blair witch came out first it scared the pants off me! Makes ya wonder why do we put ourselves through somethin that is intentionally attempting to terrify us??:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 woggas

Havent actually seen bruno, but thought borat was funny stuff. cant wait for paranormal activity. Cos when blair witch came out first it scared the pants off me! Makes ya wonder why do we put ourselves through somethin that is intentionally attempting to terrify us??:eek:

don't want to burst your bubble...but its rubbish..not scary at all, and it had great potential

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Rented Terminator: Salvation last night.

Nowhere near as bad as some made it out to be.

Way too many nods to the original terminator film and to the second film though.

And
    Marcus getting into a fistfight with the guys that attacked Blair and not pulping them when he hits them, but can go toe to toe with Arnie (T-800) and can send him flying through the air quite easily with his blows.

I mean wtf?

Far better than the crap that was Terminator 3, but they could have done a lot more with it.

Maybe a 3/5 film as I am in a decent mood.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Die Hard:

Haven't seen it in about 5 years. Still a classic.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Jasus, your a 'tough crowd' .. did you not even laugh when he got whipped and jumped out the window? Or how about that 'Gay Converter' guy, when after the speech, he asked him was he coming on to him? Or the Taliban guy when he slags off Bin Laden? Or the bits with Donny the hick!? Or the Swingers Party when the guy flips when he's staring at shagging the chick??

I've seen it twice now and thought the above scenes were a real good laugh.

Ok to be fair i suppose there may have been a snigger or two at the above mentioned scenes but overall it was pretty abysmal.As i mentioned i really enjoyed Borat and found myself laughing out loud in the cinema but that really wasn't the case with Bruno.

woggas wrote: »
    don't want to burst your bubble...but its rubbish..not scary at all, and it had great potential

Ah don't say that was looking forward to that one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I watched Crank 2 last night......ugh. Another hollywood budget pile of crap!

The first one was at least funny in a couple of parts, but #2 was just a complete waste of time. I'd actually gotten 15 minutes through it and had to turn it off, but went back to force myself to finish it for the sake of it.

Painful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭McGrath5

American Beauty - Possibly Kevin Spacey's best performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Surrogates - bruce willis

is a ok movie overall,since the story is nothing refreshing already.

3/5.average actions/story/effects.kinda surprise actually bruce is in it,the actions are abit less not as i expected as a standard Bruce 's movie.

a small time movie with big star,probably worth to watch it on a nothing happening monday or tuesday night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There Will Be Blood - good movie, nothing spectacular but good. Fully deserved oscar for Daniel Day Lewis though! Wow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

American Beauty - Possibly Kevin Spacey's best performance.

He has too many good performances to name just one.

Se7en, usual suspects, LA Confidential and The Negotiator all need a mention

Watched 'Lions for Lambs' tonight, fantastic movie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Anakin.S wrote: »
    He has too many good performances to name just one.

Se7en, usual suspects, LA Confidential and The Negotiator all need a mention

Watched 'Lions for Lambs' tonight, fantastic movie

hated lions for lambs, the other movies you mentioned are indeed all good though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Watched Cliffhanger on RTE, perfect viewing for a lazy sunday night. Sly Stallone impalling one of the bad guys with a stalactite is one of the most outrageous deaths i've ever seen in a movie.

Honorable mention to John Lithgow too, he plays the over the top sociopathic bad guy to a tee.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement