Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

irish_bob wrote: »
    the world is not enough this evening , IMO , by far the best of the brosnan bonds but thats not saying very much tbh

I won't hear a word said against Goldeneye!

I watched Bad Santa but it wasn't very good.

Hunger was pretty good but obviously quite bleak.

The Bad Lieutenant with Nick Cage was fairly tremendously bad. I wanted to like it, but no. Just no.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I watched Pandorum the other night. The trailers made it look a bit naff so I skipped it in the cinema... but I actually really enjoyed it.

Sure, I guessed both the twists pretty early on and some of the editing was pretty confusing... but over all it was nice little atmospheric film with some interesting designs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Waltz with Bashir.

Second viewing and it's still very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the world is not enough this evening , IMO , by far the best of the brosnan bonds but thats not saying very much tbh

Goldeneye is way better imo, and Tomorrow Never Dies has a piss poor villain but its got some fantastic setpieces, TWINE has a brilliant opening but its pretty dull throughout, and Denise Richards is the worst bond girl ever, Christmas Jones indeed

Watched Inglorious Basterds last night, missed it at the cinema thought it was Tarantinos usual overly self indulgent stuff but i enjoyed it all the same, strangely all the best scenes are the ones where the Basterds themselves are nowhere to be seen, Hans Landa was one of the best characters in a movie in years, could have done without the Kill Bill music reusage and the same title fonts, its like Tarantino is building himself a little brand identity thing, hes as bad as Tim Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Finally got round to watching How The West Was Won on blu ray.

As always the film itself made for a delightful rambling romp of a tale, with a steller cast, but the transfer to blu ray makes it seem like a new film, and it looks better than many films of recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Watched the new Harry Potter film with the family last night! :o

Night before, I watched The Hangover, which was pretty funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

krudler wrote: »
    Goldeneye is way better imo, and Tomorrow Never Dies has a piss poor villain but its got some fantastic setpieces, TWINE has a brilliant opening but its pretty dull throughout, and Denise Richards is the worst bond girl ever, Christmas Jones indeed

Watched Inglorious Basterds last night, missed it at the cinema thought it was Tarantinos usual overly self indulgent stuff but i enjoyed it all the same, strangely all the best scenes are the ones where the Basterds themselves are nowhere to be seen, Hans Landa was one of the best characters in a movie in years, could have done without the Kill Bill music reusage and the same title fonts, its like Tarantino is building himself a little brand identity thing, hes as bad as Tim Burton

i liked nothing about tommorow never dies ( incl the chineese bond girl ) and i agree that jonathan price is a terrible bond vilian , denise richards is crap as expected but sophie marcau is so deliscious , it gives this one the nod , judy dench is great in it aswell

as i said earlier , all brosnans bonds are pretty poor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Public enemies- Another polished effort from Michael Mann on the life of John Dilinger. A bit like Heat in a way and Depp very good in it. Well worth the look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Fine, Totally Fine
    The Empreror's New Groove

Rewatched The Incredibles and The Good The Bad The Weird
    i liked nothing about tommorow never dies ( incl the chineese bond girl )

I hear you're a racist now, Father. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

In the loop: Hilarious. Very well written and acted. Would highly recommend it. Any write up you read will probably only make it sound 10% as good as it is.

Sling Blade: An old Billy Bob film I'd missed on release. Finally got around to watching it. Very well acted and paced. Thornton steals the show though.

Land of the lost:
    Really "meh" Will Ferrell film. Sounded like it would have so much going for it, but the majority of it falls hopelessly flat on it's face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Little Children - Watchable but the 3rd person narration gave off an unintentional comic tone, and had a weak ending. Still enjoyed it.

Paranormal Activity - Quite scary, and the ending I saw
    Katie kills herself
    was okay but having seen the other two endings i prefer the one with
    Micah being thrown at the camera

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The Invention of Lying: Starts off mildly humorous, then dive bombs 40 minutes before the credits into possibly the most painful slog through tedium that I've ever witnessed. Nothing even remotely funny happens in the latter half of the film, they take up all the time getting to a point that the majority of the audience will have assumed 5 minutes into the film. I actually liked Ghost Town and Gervais' other work, but this... this was just bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The Blind Side....3.5/5......i'll be watching `Brothers` later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Watched The Princess Bride a couple of days ago, hadn't seen it for a few years. It has lost none of it's charm and remains one of my favourite films of all time. Would highly recommend anyone who hasn't seen it check it out.

The Invention of Lying - fails as a movie. It's just not funny enough. I really like most of Gervais' work but this is far from his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Heat on Blu-ray. Still one of my fav movies

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Waltz with Bashir.

Second viewing and it's still very good.

I thought it was incredible

I watched Paranormal Activity yesterday. Very impressed. I thought it was very creepy, as opposed to terrifying. The ending was a bit of a disappointment. Anyone else see it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I watched Paranormal Activity yesterday. Very impressed. I thought it was very creepy, as opposed to terrifying. The ending was a bit of a disappointment. Anyone else see it ?

saw it, loved it. what ending did you see?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

The Hangover: I found it really enjoyable. The plot is quite good and most of the humour comes from the funny scenarios as there's not a lot of hilarious laugh out loud jokes.Despite this,it's a very entertaining bit of banter.

I would recommend it for a party.

fluke wrote: »
    saw it, loved it. what ending did you see?

I sent you a private message on this !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Ally Dick wrote: »

6th got me in free and liked it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford'

Pretty decent study in the myth of how Jesse James was shot by Robert Ford. All done with elaborately straight faces and with a creepy menace that's maintained throughout, largely helped by Casey Alfleck's uncomfortably good performance. Everyone's in good form in the film, with Brad Pitt (as Jesse) coming off the worst of the lot. Even though he isn't that bad, his limitations just shine through.

Unfortunately, however, while it is a very good film, it is simply far too long. Even though it did hold my attention throughout its running time, some trimming here and there would have been a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭andrew90

Best film on tv over christmas had to be Bad Santa, hilarious, Billy Bob Thornton ideal for the role, played the womanising, alcoholic, conman very well
    Orphan was very good as well, kid was really creepy played the part very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Nowhere Boy ..

Very good.

I thoroughly recommend a film called "Deep Cover" with Jeff Goldblume and Laurence Fishburne. It's about fifteen years old. Absolutely superb.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The Count of Monte Cristo on RTE this morning. Quite enjoyed it. Had James Cav..........James Calz.............James Cavez.......the dude from Passion of the Christ, Guy Pearce and Richard Harris.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Watched 1408 - a pretty average Stephen King horror film. Starts out very well but goes downhill towards the end. For some reason I was convinced that it was Kevin Spacey in it right up until the end credits where it clearly says John Cusack, and it still took me a few minutes to realise!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Gone In 60 Seconds: Watched this for the first time in ages. Still a pretty decent film even if the acting is dreadful at times. Decent car chase towards the end. It'll never rival the French Connection's car chase but it's still entertaining nonetheless.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street: What a load of crap. Really did not enjoy this at all. I like Tim Burton and I enjoy the majority of his films but this for me, is one of the worst he has done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

District 9 (on blu ray) Bought this over christmas and i wa blown away by it.
    I had to put that i seen on blu ray as there no other way to see amazing effects that go into a film like this.
    brilliant story, great cast. overall, a must see.

Law abiding citizen. Brendan Butler has done nothing great since 300, and its a shame he keeps getting these suck ass roles.
    Bottom line, very violent, pointless plot. bad cast. Leave your brain outside.
    Kinda like Taken, but not as good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs What a film! I didn't stop laughing all the way through it. I think this may be my favorite film of 2009, above Avatar and even District 9. Very few films make me laugh out loud like this did.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement