Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Had a DVD day today

Truman show - fantastic idea for a film, really enjoyed it

Seven Pounds - such a good movie, really sad but has a good story to tell

Fight Club - Excellent movie I must of seen it 15 times still picking up on things (like Marla calling him a Schizo)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Exterminator'

Exploitation flick from 1980. Made in the wake of the 'Death Wish' success, this film isn't as rubbish as the title suggests. It's actually quite good. Maybe I just like it because it's one of my "childhood" video movies that made an impression on me.
    The decapitation scene especially at the beginning especially.

Like 'Death Wish' itself, this film has more to say than the viewer may first imagine. The vigilante at the heart of the film is not an Arnold Schwartzenegger or a Sly Stallone type. He's a quiet, mild mannered everyman, rather like Bronson's "Paul Kersey" in 'Death Wish', who is corrupted by the filth of 1980's New York city and takes matters into his own hands. He isn't loud, or brash and he doesn't use silly quips.

Recommended to lovers of 70's cimema.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 F4Fake

Rewatched Synecdoche New York last night for the fourth time. I absolutely love that movie. I tend to take away something different every time I watch it. I noticed the dvd says "The smash-hit comedy of the year!" on the cover, which seems like the worst possible way of describing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mishimab

watched It's Complicated in cinema. casted meryl streep, alec baldwin and other guys.. cute and funny movie.. suitable for couples.. i went to see alone, hovewer loved that movie..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Went to see The Road this morning. It's a very good film, genuinely touching at times. Viggo Mortensen was brilliant, the kid not so much. Did anyone else think the kid looks a lot like Charlize Theron? I stayed until the credits just to see if he actually is her son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Watched "The Cove" the other night....really enjoyed it.

Its a documentary following a world famous dolphin trainer and a team he recruited trying to uncover what goes on in this hidden cove in Japan where migrating dophlins are herded into. Some are sold off to the aquariums around the world, and the rest are killed.

This trainer (Ric O Barry) was behind the training of the original "Flipper" in the 60s TV show and the success of this show really gave rise to the exploitation of dolphins and whales in places like sea world etc... He feels bad for this and has spent the last 30 years trying to bring down the business he helped create.

As I said, he puts together a team of various people with various skills to get evidence of what goes on and this was something I really enjoyed. However, in parts it is quite graphic what these poor dolphins go through but it is well worth watching just to open your opens and hopefully allow you to open your friends\family.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Watched The Lost World on tv3 yesterday, its so full of plot holes and stupidity by the lead characters its staggering, Julianne Moore wanderin about coated in baby T-Rex blood having previously lectured us as to how protective and parental the bigger Rexes are, then acting all shocked as one (tiptoes presumabley since the earth shaking only seems to happen at certain times in these movies) into the camp for a sniff of her jacket soaked in its infants blood, sigh...

Also Peter Stormare wandering off into the jungle on a dinosaur infested island to take dump, falls down a small hill not 50 feet away from where he was, and instead of doing the smart thing and firing off a round from the gigantic rifle he has to attract the attention of the other 2 dozen armed hunters, he wanders further into the woods and gets his face eaten, moron

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

krudler wrote: »
    Watched The Lost World on tv3 yesterday, its so full of plot holes and stupidity by the lead characters its staggering, Julianne Moore wanderin about coated in baby T-Rex blood having previously lectured us as to how protective and parental the bigger Rexes are, then acting all shocked as one (tiptoes presumabley since the earth shaking only seems to happen at certain times in these movies) into the camp for a sniff of her jacket soaked in its infants blood, sigh...

Also Peter Stormare wandering off into the jungle on a dinosaur infested island to take dump, falls down a small hill not 50 feet away from where he was, and instead of doing the smart thing and firing off a round from the gigantic rifle he has to attract the attention of the other 2 dozen armed hunters, he wanders further into the woods and gets his face eaten, moron

Yeah, but I don't actually think it's a bad movie. Should have ended on the boat though.

Last watched: You Don't Mess with the Zohan - I'm really going to have to stop watching Adam Sandler movies. If not for the get-a-girl plots then for Rob Schneider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 foreman1916

funny games, you can either watch the german version (probly the better one) or the english version. i have to say it was probly one of the best film i have seen. well worth the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I thought Reign on me by Adam Sandler (and Don Chedle) was good....its a far cry from Don't mess with the Zohan anyway!

Punch drunk love is supposed to be very good too...havent seen it though.

Funny People was pants though....I want those two hours back!

• Advertisement

I thought Reign on me by Adam Sandler (and Don Chedle) was good....!

yeah totally agree.. reign on me is worth watching..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭pkumohideeile

F4Fake wrote: »
    Rewatched Synecdoche New York last night for the fourth time. I absolutely love that movie. I tend to take away something different every time I watch it. I noticed the dvd says "The smash-hit comedy of the year!" on the cover, which seems like the worst possible way of describing it.

What things did you see the other times that you didn't take from the first screening? I've seen it once and liked it but never thought about rewatching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I was in London over the weekend, got bored on Saturday night, and went to the Prince Charles to see Fireball. This is a Thai film that's a bit like Rollerball, I suppose, in that the "sport" is pretty much a pretext for gangs to inflict heaps of the old ultraviolence on each other, while mob bosses look on and rake it in from bookies.

The "plot", such as it is, involves various working-class guys in Bangkok needing money for various reasons, such as one guy keeping a roof over the head of his family in the slum. The main character, Tai, was sprung from prison with bribes bought by his brother Tan, but Tan suffered severe head injuries in the process of winning the money in Fireball and needs surgery. So Tai needs to get money, and also has a revenge motive, and is almost identical in appearance to his brother. Cue lots of "ultimate fighting" over a basketball. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

mishimab wrote: »
    yeah totally agree.. reign on me is worth watching..

It's Reign Over Me

Reign On Me...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Recently I watched...

Inglorious Basterds - Second viewing and loved it more this time around.

Big Trouble In Little China - Hadn't seen this in quite a while, decent fun!

There Will Be Blood - Quite enjoyed this actually.

fluke wrote: »
    It's Reign Over Me

Reign On Me...:p

oops, my bad.. :D
    i knew smth was luking wrong :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

cruel intentions-such a hot film

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pauric_g

MASH - classic dark comedy, don't know why I'd never seen it before, definitely lived up to it's reputation.
    A Fistful of Dollars - great Clint Eastwood anti-hero type performance, wouldn't watch a lot of westerns but this would encourage me to watch more.
    Shaun of The Dead - one of my all time favourites, clever story telling, great performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Thirst - good film imo, well worth a watch. It dragged a bit in the middle after the
    murder of Kang-woo
    but the ending more than made up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Sherlock Holmes:

I enjoyed it but to be honest some of the dialogue was cringeworthy. It was like they were trying to make things funny but it just ended up falling on its face. Wasn't too bad though really aside from that.

Jerry Maguire:

Damn I love that little kid in this film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Avatar Yeah Avatar is Dances with Wolves for Gamers really. Visually stunning but ending is cheesy. Not a bad way to spend a few hours. Not sure the 3d thing will take off though. But fair play to Cameron for having the ambition to take on a project like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

avatar. - loved every second of it. 10/10 from me.

a dangerous man - watched it last night. segal doing his thing. decent 6/10 from me.

jenifer's body - megan fox lesbian kiss scene just made it good.

basterd's for the second time. so much better the second viewing.

daybreakers - loved the plot of the movie, the ending, annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Pandorum - Very B-movie Sci-Fi feel to it (which I've grown a taste for). It's ok, nothing amazing, will probably never watch it again. Highly predictable and with a disappointing ending.
    a dystopian ending would of suited it better personally
    No real stand out performances either.

The Cove - Save the Cheerleader save the Dolphins. Ok Hayden Panettiere is only in it momentarily. It basically covers the slaughtering of Dolphins in some hidden cove in Japan (oddly, the doc Earthlings featured similar footage of a similar Dolphin slaughter in Japan but it was wide out in the open) It was very well edited, and definitely worth a watch, mainly, imo, as a warning to not eat anything when in Japan that you may imagine is whale or some other large fish, you could well be eating toxic dolphin meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Funny People going by the title and cast, you would expect some laughs. It is one of the most un-funny "comedies" ever made, i watched two hours of it and had enough.

The Godfather trilogy There is never a bad day to have a godfather marathon!!! Legend Films. Watched all of them in the past 3 nights.

Scarface following on from what the Godfather, think im having an Al Pachino week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

watched "Up in the air"

very smart film, not sure why it's being billed as a comedy although it does have its funny moments, Clooney plays the character to perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I just finished watching Runaway Train with Jon Voight and Eric Roberts!

Strange film really. A mixture of over-acting and not-so-good acting but yet it's a really enjoyable movie. It has some great scenery, and an interesting atmosphere.

If you're a bit of a nerd like me, and like trains, I recommend it!

7 out of 10

just watched The Lovely Bones (2009) .. can't stop thinking about this movie after watched.. gave me weird feeling.. i recommend you this movie.. my every cell of skin has risen up.. :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

A Serious Man.......

I think ya need to be Jewish to get it cause I didnt !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

dario28 wrote: »
    A Serious Man.......

It's the Coen brothers. It's against the Charter to say you didn't like / get it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Raging Bob

dario28 wrote: »
    A Serious Man.......

I'm not Jewish and I think I 'got it'. :/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement