Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mesrine - Part one Killer Instinct
    Part two public enemy number one

Watched both these last night as a double bill.
    Vincent Cassel is brilliant as Jacques Mesrine,
    the french gangster known as the man of a thousand
    faces. Part one is his earlier career, part two maybe
    tries to get behind the myth a bit.

The action never flags in this, sometimes a bit too much.
    But there's some excellent set pieces. I would have preferred
    for the movie(s) to explore his past a bit more - Algeria
    is briefly referred to. And you never really get to know
    the motivations of the character. Still, a enjoyable gangster
    film, always watchable because of Cassel, who can go from
    threatening to charming in the blink of an eye. Though he
    looked ridiculous in the opening scene!

Watched these two on Saturday night. Utterly absorbing stuff. 4+ hours and my attention was kept throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I watched Hot Rod last night. I wasn't expecting much, but I thought it was hilarious. I can easily imagine people hating it as the humour is the kind of Superbad/Anchorman humour that people love or hate. But I recommend it to anyone who likes that type of film.

Also, it's got Isla Fisher in it, so it does it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

humanji wrote: »
    I watched Hot Rod last night. I wasn't expecting much, but I thought it was hilarious.

The riot scene alone is worth watching the movie for!

Recently I've seen "Up in the Air" and "The Lovely Bones".

"Up in the Air" is very good and worth a watch,

"The Lovely Bones" is not as good. Different to the book, if you have read it. But worth a watch for some wonderful visuals and a great performance from Saoirse Ronan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Watched Avatar last night, enjoyed it for the most part. Didn't look at my watch once, which is a good sign for me. Basically Cowboys & Indians in space, but with a different ending. Oh, and the ending turned a bit Disney for me. Was expecting a bit more tactically from the battle scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

availed of a 3 month half price offer with sky for the movie chanells last week so been hungrily devouring recent releases

watched juno this evening for the 1st time , wonderfully sharp , funny and unsentimental comedy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The Road - Touching film
    Session 9 - Best thriller/horror?? I've seen in years.
    Observe and Report - Brilliant off beat comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Banderas was a complete miscast in the role, and utterly unbelievable. Have you seen Outlander? It's pretty much the exact same plot but with a sci-fi twist, I personally found it to be more enjoyable, I'm also an effects junkie so Beowulf was great for what it is.

With the 13th Warrior, I guess I was expecting better combat sequences. I could forgive the fairly basic premise if the fighting was up to scratch, but it just seemed laboured and obviously acted.

Watched Outlander over the weekend, thought it was really boring. Definitely prefer the 13th Warrior!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

believe it or not , id never seen one flew over the cuckoos nest untill the past few days , definatley an all time classic and the charechter of nurse ratched is quite possibley the most evil ever put on screen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

watched Dancer in the Dark for the first time the other night, sweet lord what a depressing & sad film but also excellent at the same time. I suppose I've only become aware of von Trier from his latest 'offering' which I won't go on about.

Seven Pounds, just finished watching this 5 minutes ago and the missus is all upset over it, not me, I can handle this Hollywood lightweight depression compared to what Bjork managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Sky Blue - Bit of a strange one. It was good but as mix of animation styles (mostly 2D characters on to CG everything else) that took seven years to make, the story doesn't quite live up to the visuals.

And the DVD case:
    Language: Japanese
    Subtitles: English

You're an English dub and you don't have an option for subtitles. And anyway, you're Korean.

Oh and I also watched Jurassic Park III again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭slothrop

Hello all, this weekend I watched three films -

The Hurt Locker, which whilst being admirably well made on a slender budget was also unengaging.
    This was unintentionally ironic because it was the very desire to get me involved in the characters that left me even more disaffected with the cultural war on terror.

Terminator Salvation, which really was a poorly plotted, cliche ridden, waste of energy.

District 9, a much better, if ultimately frustrating effort, in that it had a rewarding go at satire before settling more comfortably in to the misunderstood-alien-pines-for-home action/adventure genre.
    Reassuringly misanthropic: More ET GO home than ET goes home.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dude, Where's My Car?:

Was quite bored last night so just stuck this on. Got a few chuckles out of it. I took it for what it was and actually rather enjoyed it despite its crazy storyline.
    "Zoltan" :)

Cloverfield:

I love this film but the guy holdinig the camera for the majority of the film is fcuking annoying. "Dude we gotta go" Multiply that by 20 times in about 2 mins and it gets on your nerves at times.

Still a great idea for a film and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Sideways: Had only seen bits and pieces from it when it was aired on TV. Well written and acted. Recommended.

30 Days of Night: Surprisingly good Vampire film. Was not expecting something that would hold my attention right up until the closing credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I watched 12 Rounds and enjoyed it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

Funny People - Not as hilarious as Apatow's other work but still worth a watch. Could have done with being half an hour shorter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I've watched 2012, Avatar in the cinema and Drag me to Hell, the hurt locker, district 9 on blu ray. So it's been a pretty decent run of movies for the past month. The hurt locker would be my no1 as the tension is palpable when the bombs are being difused. Avatar was a lot better than I was expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

humanji wrote: »
    I watched Hot Rod last night. I wasn't expecting much, but I thought it was hilarious. I can easily imagine people hating it as the humour is the kind of Superbad/Anchorman humour that people love or hate. But I recommend it to anyone who likes that type of film.

Also, it's got Isla Fisher in it, so it does it for me!

I watched all 3 as I was interested in what American pop comedy has to offer, superbad wasnt bad, anchorman I didnt warm too but it has some great actors, hotrod is one of the ****est movies I've ever seen, jokes were lame and seemed like they tried real hard to be funny.

some movies Ive seen recently, the yes man actually quite good, jim carrey gives a nice restrained performance

slingblade couldnt see what all the hype was about this one, I'd give it 7/10 max but people seem to love it

watched gran torino again and loved it, some hammy acting and some of the characters arent believable like clint's sons and grandchildren, horrible people. we never get to learn about his wife but she was supposed to have been a church person so you would think that the sons would have some kind of respect. the asian 'actors' are terrible in some parts, but they arent pro actors, the story is strong enough to forgive/carry it tho

whats eating gilbert grape just a pleasant movie, watchable but not exciting. leonardo does a better job than billy bob thornton(who reminds me a little of simple jack from tropic thunder'), such a great actor at a young age

the hills have eyes (original) enjoyed this one, basic story, horror meets revenge in the middle of nowhere /in middle american dessert

Apocalypto starts off good and seems promising but didnt realise it was gonna become a 'chase movie', wanted to see more of the ancient city and some kind of revolt or mass escape, instead its a guy being chased thru forests by warriors. I remember reading bad reviews when it came out in the cinema and hearing that it was based on a made up civilization 1000's of years ago but its actually based in south america 100's of years ago and the language in the movie is authentic/not made up. didnt realise till the end, it makes it better imo.
    (**thinking back it perhaps was a review of 10,000bc I had heard)

Raising Arizona and Barton Fink, my least favorite coen brothers movies, wanted more from barton fink, raising arizona was just daft.

I wonder how many more movies with the same 'plot' they can get away with and keep them original, 'ordinary people, in need of money, opportunity arises, briefcase of money, some people die, nothing goes to plan, the end.'
    No country for old men and burn after reading are good movies tho, its the build up/suspense that makes them worth watching

dances with wolves really loved this, very nice movie, costner is great, white man is evil!

*slingblade score is great tho, daniel lanois sounding very brian eno'ish, tho they did both work together on some U2 albums including 'the joshua tree'

Just sitting through Antichrist.

Outraged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

slothrop wrote: »
    Just sitting through Antichrist.

Outraged

What did you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Bet he didn't expect
    stupid talking foxes :D

Great movie, though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Un prophète (A Prophet)...

French movie, absolutely brilliant, 10 out of 10...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

FAME
    The new one. Fairly shite to be honest. Seen it all before in the numours dance/music movies out lately.

4/10 (Only because the blondie one was a bit of alright)
    The Hurt Locker

Amazing. Absolutely loved it.
    From the opening slow motion shot to the final shot, I was hooked. Thought it was well acted and some good tension in it.
    Would recommend it.

9/10

Didnt expect what?

The FGM?

Nah, I saw that coming a long way off, bit like Defoe's bloody member...

All very domestic but then I do live in Howth.

No. I refer you to the excellent Lars Von Trier thread.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Book Of Eli:

Saw this last night. I went in with very low expectations. Wasn't too bad at all really. It was just like watching a post apocalyptic Western. Some of the early fight scenes were rather good and a pretty decent twist towards the end. I'd recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Saw the Book of Eli on Monday night with the GF. Very enjoyable.

What are the opinions on Brothers out there? May give that a watch later in the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Saw Brothers today.

Good film with some amazing acting performances.

Couldn't help but think that it was edited very well. Scenes jump around too fast and then aren't finished at all it appears at times.

The little girl in this film should get an Oscar. She's unbelievable. Her performance alone is worth seeing. Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

28 Weeks Later on TV this evening. Reviews were a bit mixed, so I didn't know what to expect, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The scenes with the "infected" were so completely OTT that I was grinning like a loon.

On the other hand, seeing London in such a ruined state was as disturbing as anything I've ever seen. I lived there for years and was back there a few weeks ago. I was in Canary Wharf, and walked along Whitehall, while in the movie
    the kids were being driven along there by Scarlett, dodging fire from high-powered machine guns, running from clouds of gas
    . Imagine a beautiful painting shot through with holes and covered in blood. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

watched The Invention of Lying last night

boring pointless film

and im a gervais fan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Watched Flash Gordon the other night. All together now - "Gordon's alive?!"... Classic. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I saw Book Of Eli recently too, nothing special but it was ok, Denzel and Oldman made it really.

Others:
    Copland - oldschool kind of corrupt cop stuff but entertaining and loads of big names
    Mesrine: Death Instinct and Mesrine: Public Enemy No. 1 - they were ok too, French John Dillinger stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement