Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Finally watched Crash the other night, had been meaning to watch it for ages but eventually got around to it because I had to do college work on it. Really good movie even if some part were predictable.

Funny People- Had heard really bad things about this but I found it good and even Sandler is tolerable.

I am legend- Decent movie ruined by bad effects and a really bad alternate ending.

Up in the Air- I am not having a mid life crisis so a lot of the movie flew over my head what I did get I enjoyed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I saw Avatar in 3D recently.. such nonsense.. whoever coined the phrase 'Dances with Smurf's' nailed it. I reckon the people raving about this at the moment will be very embarssed when the hype dies down and they can see it in all its ridiculous glory... 'I see you' indeed!. James - you should have spent more money on the script and less on the 'spectacular' special effects..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

trustno1 wrote: »
    I saw Avatar in 3D recently.. such nonsense.. whoever coined the phrase 'Dances with Smurf's' nailed it. I reckon the people raving about this at the moment will be very embarssed when the hype dies down and they can see it in all its ridiculous glory... 'I see you' indeed!. James - you should have spent more money on the script and less on the 'spectacular' special effects..
    They "I see you" stuff was referring to to shamanism I thought. Just like apologising to the animal they killed. Both of those things are spoken about in Carlos Castanedas books (among others). This is among the many reasons I really liked the movie. Predictable - sure, OTT - absolutely but it is what it is - A special effects fest with a decent story to keep you interested and some nice references to shamanism to keep people like me who like that sort of thing happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Avatar looked incredible. That's what did it for me tbh. I was so busy figuring out what to focus on that I wasn't paying much attention to anything else. Whole package, no. Important, yes.

Also, do people really think Crash is a good movie? Thought it to be absolute tripe myself.

Tristram wrote: »
    Avatar looked incredible. That's what did it for me tbh. I was so busy figuring out what to focus on that I wasn't paying much attention to anything else. Whole package, no. Important, yes.

Also, do people really think Crash is a good movie? Thought it to be absolute tripe myself.
    I thought Crash to be hugely over rated and very cliche.
    The racist saves the woman and the black woman turns out racist
    who'd have thunk it?

• Advertisement

Tristram wrote: »

The only scenes that I thought looked impressive were the start when they are coming out of the sleep chambers and the part in the large meeting room when the troops are being addressed by Quaritch. Other than that I thought the rest of it was alright and the parts in Ferngully.. I mean on Andora looked rather tacky, animals also looked awful.. Also thought The Matrix was ripped off big time..

trustno1 wrote: »
    The only scenes that I thought looked impressive were the start when they are coming out of the sleep chambers and the part in the large meeting room when the troops are being addressed by Quaritch. Other than that I thought the rest of it was alright and the parts in Ferngully.. I mean on Andora looked rather tacky, animals also looked awful.. Also thought The Matrix was ripped off big time..
    Well I did think of the Matrix alright. Guess it's just a difference of opinion. But - The I see you part was cool if you know what it referenced IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

budgemook wrote: »
    Well I did think of the Matrix alright. Guess it's just a difference of opinion. But - The I see you part was cool if you know what it referenced IMO.

I assumed it was a reference to some culture, just like when they killed an animal but, I thought it was overplayed to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Oh, we're not talking about Cronenberg's 'Crash'? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Oh, we're not talking about Cronenberg's 'Crash'? :(

Sadly no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Saw Frost/Nixon last week too

really enjoyed it i must say

would recommend it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Watched Men who stare at goats a few days ago and loved every single bit of it.
    Seen Sherlock holmes to, loved it all apart from any part where Jude Law was on the screen on his own. Hate him grrr shoo jude shoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I sky+ed Crash for my mother the other night and adviced her to look at what I thought was a really cool interesting movie.........................Yep the wrong "Crash". My mother now thinks I'm a bit mental

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I sky+ed Crash for my mother the other night and adviced her to look at what I thought was a really cool interesting movie.........................Yep the wrong "Crash". My mother now thinks I'm a bit mental
    Was it the one with the car crash sex storyline?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Kidulthood:

I enjoyed this film a lot. The acting wasn't great by any means but it felt very real and raw. The accents got on my nerves for the first 10 minutes or so but you get used to it.
    Decent storyline to it. Well worth checking out.

Adulthood:

The sequel to Kidulthood. Didn't enjoy this at all really. It was pretty poor imo throughout.

Misery:

What a film. Really enjoyed it. Kathy Bates is a fantastic actress and she really plays her role very very well. I definitely recommend that you see this film if you haven't already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Most recent would be
    Joe Kidd
    Not Eastwood's best but enjoyable. Robert Duvall good in it.
    Really enjoyed Once upon a time in the West with Fonda playing a brill role
    Old stuuf but good esp Once upon...
    ps Just noticed recently that Clint seems to like working with the same actors for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Went on a DVD-buying splurge on amazon.co.uk there not too long ago... Been glued to films ever since!:D

Here are some I've watched recently

Gran Torino: excellent film that perfectly captures how out of tune the older generation can get, but also a brilliant story of hostility, conflict and final redemption. Moral of story: never, ever fúck with Clint Eastwood.

15 Minutes: criminally under-rated Robert de Niro flick, co-starring Edward Burns and a perfectly cast Kelsey Grammer (as a sleazy tabloid TV news anchor). Break-neck pace and some truly exciting actions sequences and some very dark humour (one character telling his friend who is sewing a wound together he has to light the scene properly, "Like the movie, 'Silence of the Sheeps'"). Well worth a look for fans of good, frenetic action and fans of de Niro won't be disappointed either.

Mystic River: powerful, powerful stuff. Dennis Lehane's novel is perfectly transferred onto the silver screen. Sean Penn and Tim Robbins deservedly picked up Academy Awards for their performances, and the strong supporting cast includes Kevin Bacon and Laurence Fishbourne.

The Damned United: Michael Sheen IS Brian Clough. Hilarious, dark, brooding and at times sad, Clough's 44-day reign at Leeds United (coupled with flashbacks to his glory days at Derby County) is captured to a tee here. The film also reminds us that Clough was "... the greatest manager the England National Team never had..."

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

State Of Play - 8/10

Very good, fantastic performance again by Russell Crowe as investigative journalist, a little let down by Ben Affleck, but movie is fast paced with lots of small intricate plot twists. Need to pay attention.

Sunshine - 8/10

Surprised by this, wasnt expecting much but it was suspenseful and beautifully shot, it had just the right sci fi sense of claustrophobia and impending doom at every corner. Let down a little by a very obscure and distracting final quarter but well worth the trip.

Zodiac - 9.5/10

Brilliant film, surprised it didn't get more praise when it came out. Very long and intricate but brilliant acting and is the definitive serial killer movie if you ask me, completely loyal to the actual zodiac murders case, unlike many stories that were "inspired by true events" or "based on true events", this is the actual case on film. Phenomenal. 2hr 45 mins long so not for everybody but criminally underrated. Fincher is an amazing film maker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just watched The Book Of Eli, pretty crap film I thought. Production and cinematography were fine but the story was dull and as predictable as a kettle. Action scenes were handled surprisingly well. Mila Kunis is still getting hotter :pac:
    Denzel being something like a terminator when disposing of the goons while the ol' "we-can't-shoot-the-good-guy-for-shìt" cliche was well intact.

Dialogue was pretty hammy - everyone referring to the past as "the world before", classic apocalyptic-story talk.

The ending was predictable that I didn't even want it to be true (That the book wasn't exactly what it was supposed to be and that Denzel knew the entire thing word-for-word off the top of his head........*sigh*)

And the thought that it was soooooo vital that the bible needed to re-created in order for any hope for humanity was a bit naff. I like my films that have religious themes to them, usually brings a certain sense of class to them, but this was just lazy.

And Mila's character essentially turning into Denzel's protagonist at the very end was the final nail in this movie's coffin.

Like so many of their lesser films, this would've been truly crap had it not been for the talents of Denzel & Oldman to keep your attention above water.

Still, there was nothing but shìt on TV so this did it's job. You want a good apocalyptic movie then go see The Road, this is more for the visuals than the plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Watched black dynamite and had a smile on my face the whole time. It's a film that plays on the so bad it's good again theme but is a superb film.

It's almost like a film made for film buffs as some of the jokes only stand out if you've watched allot of bad films. The fight scenes are done really well and look very convincing when not trying to be funny. The acting is great/bad and perfect for the film, the blinking during numchuck play is hilarious. I just can't fault it for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

cougar1 wrote: »

Zodiac - 9.5/10

Brilliant film, surprised it didn't get more praise when it came out. Very long and intricate but brilliant acting and is the definitive serial killer movie if you ask me, completely loyal to the actual zodiac murders case, unlike many stories that were "inspired by true events" or "based on true events", this is the actual case on film. Phenomenal. 2hr 45 mins long so not for everybody but criminally underrated. Fincher is an amazing film maker.

Rewatched Zodiac myself; another big Fincher fan here!
    It tends to be overlooked but in my opinion it was one of the best films of the decade.
    "The definitive serial killer movie" is indeed a suitable accolade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

just watched The Hurt Locker, It's very tense, but other than that, good, not really great at all. I'm a little disappointed after all the hype.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

indiana jones and the kingdom of skulls , by far the worst of the series , terrible movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

9th District: enjoyed it, different and nice social metaphors in there

Last house on the left: meh, didnt get the hype...... was there even a plot? i mean where do the 4 baddies come from anyway, whats the motivation? and why the **** would you bring a poker when looking for a killer when you have a gun? enjoyed some of the violence though, rape scene was also over hyped, not glorifying rape in any way, just from the reviews i read i was expecting to be disgusted, maybe im just sick?

500 days of summer: not as bad as i thought it would be, but wont be watching it again

seanybiker wrote: »
    Seen Sherlock holmes to, loved it all apart from any part where Jude Law was on the screen on his own. Hate him grrr shoo jude shoo.

I went to see Sherlock Holmes last week - and I was dreading it because it had Jude Law in it, and I have to say I really enjoyed him in this!.. the storyline was very poor - but the onscreen banter between Robert D Jnr and Jude was very entertaining!..

Also watched Inglorious Basterds - switched it off halfway through as I found it extremely boring and the small yellow subtitles were highly annoying..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

I felt like taking a blowtorch to my eyeballs after seeing this.
    Good god is it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I watched Copland last night. Fantastic film with an amazing cast. Everyone was on top form.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched sunshine cleaning, an ok bit of fluff, a bit of talent to look at and an average story, 6/10

also rewatched down periscope, what a laugh, i didnt think id still find it funny after so long, but it really stands up to repeat viewing, they just dont make them like they used to, 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Ponyo on the cliff by the sea: Like everything Ghibli, it's beautifully animated, full of colour, with an immaculate musical score. Watch the subtitled version if possible. Absolutely loved it.

Law Abiding Citizen: It's watchable. I can't really decide whether I liked it or not. It has some good parts and definitely keeps you interested, but the plot is beyond believable and the ending feels tacked together. Worth a rental, maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Watched Seven again last night hadn't seen it in years,what a movie!
    "Whats in the box? Tell me whats in the box!"
    Eh Your wifes head
    Great stuff! And only noticed how little screen time Kevin Spacey gets but my God what a serial killer,and he doesn't really do anything but sit in a car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement