Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I went to see Shelock Holmes and I didnt hate Jude Law!! for once, anyhow it was an entertaining couple of hours and that's about it.

Watched Almost Famous again last night - it never fails to cheer, one of my all time faves :) 5 stars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Finally got around to seeing 'Drag Me To Hell' ..meh.. Give me 'Evil Dead' any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Saw The Firm (2009) last night. It's yer usual football hooliganism except with very little fighing and vomit-inducing camera work during the so-called riots. Everyone is 'ard!

Acting is horrible, dialogue is forced and, well, we've seen it all before.

Even if you liked Football Factory or Green Street (Didn't like this one) you'll find this one to be shìt.

Avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I watched "right at your door" this evening...found it quite good. Nice little twist at the end too. Self preservation is the name of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Watched Pandorum. I will never get that time back, NEEEEVVVVEEEERRRRR:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Saw the remake of the Omen with Julia Styles and Liev Schreiber. Big fan of the old so watched it through. The remake barely deviates from the original. The deathes in some cases look like something from a final destination.

I did like the cast bar the most important one, the Child. He didn give me the Willies like the original does. And the epic chilling pounding religious music 'raptuos, dominous' doesnt feature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Watched Inglourious Basterds on Sunday night really enjoyed it, not the most factually correct piece of cinema, but good fun all the same.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a fantastic film, watched it last night and was fighting back tears. The make up and special effects in the film are fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Finally got around to seeing 'Drag Me To Hell' ..meh.. Give me 'Evil Dead' any day of the week.

:eek:, I loved Drag me to Hell!!.. but I do like the Evil Dead as well. I watched Evil Dead 3 there recently.. good lord.. how did it end up such a mess when he had a bigger budget?!

Watched District 9 last night and absolutely loved it... intelligent, well written, thought provoking.. brilliant stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

trustno1 wrote: »
    :eek:, I loved Drag me to Hell!!.. but I do like the Evil Dead as well. I watched Evil Dead 3 there recently.. good lord.. how did it end up such a mess when he had a bigger budget?!

Hail to the king, baby! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The King Of Comedy: Absolutely loved this. Very very enjoyable. Great story and I love seeing DeNiro playing a totally different character than what I'm used to seeing.

His acting is superb in this film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Just listen, please.

And that without these rules...we really wouldn't be able
    to function at our best.You follow my point?

I get the point except...

Please, Mr. Puffer, please.

No. After you.

After you, sir, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Watched Bad Lieutenant on C4 last Friday night and I thought it was excellent. First time seeing it and Harvey Keital's character is brilliantly entertaining. The scene when he is in his car and he hears the result of one of the Baseball games he has put a fortune on was memorable. Definitely one to watch for anyone that hasnt seen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

Saw the remake of the Omen with Julia Styles and Liev Schreiber. Big fan of the old so watched it through. The remake barely deviates from the original. The deathes in some cases look like something from a final destination.

I did like the cast bar the most important one, the Child. He didn give me the Willies like the original does. And the epic chilling pounding religious music 'raptuos, dominous' doesnt feature.

that was a case of putting the 1976 original through a photo copier , every line and scene is copied yet its completley awfull

director was irish btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭extrinzic

Zombieland
    Short review – Apart from the opening credits, it’s really bad.
    Reader’s discretion is advised.
    Zombie land seems to me to be a pile of stinking ****. Never mind the zombies; the characters are all utterly uncomplicated morons who clearly represent the decline of western culture.
    The protagonist is a jerk, a bland everyman who can’t get laid because he hasn’t me the right person (because he plays video games all day, the sad ****). The chicks, who provide the survivors of the apocalypse with a purpose, that is, to continue the existence of degenerate behaviour so that we can go home and **** each other over forever. Woody Harrison, the Twinkie eating rebel without a cause (not that this distinguishes him) is complete jerk who comes out with line after line of moronic crap, whilst acting as some kind of self serving anti hero. Of course, it is suggested that he in fact does have a heart, the heart of a neurotic dick head with the psychology of a nasty five year old. Bill Murray turns up for retirement, and its so cringe worthy that I am glad he is killed off sooner rather than later. My guess is that his role was reduced; for fear that it would actually make this rubbish worse than it already is. Sure he may attempt to represent the heart of Hollywood, the human face, but that will have to go. It has to go because its rubbish. Perhaps the point of this celluloid stain is to mock the consumer, and debase the public’s sense of self worth. It wasn’t bad enough to take the republic of Zombeland from the Indians; I can just imaging the powers that be smiling sinisterly at our moronic laughter as we lap up the destruction of plastic Native America by our want to be heroes. The scene at the end of the film, where none of the characters make any rational choices only stands out because there is no rationality in it whatsoever. At least you can understand how these creeps could rationalise mocking the destruction of Native Americans, I mean; it’s sick to the core, but consistent with the historical fascism that the characters represent and attempt to justify (by smashing **** up, true Nazi justification there ya got to admit). One may stretch ones imagination to rationalise how Bill Murray may go out with a bang, for what is a king without subject, or at least a handful that aren't worth ****? Hollywood feeds of us like a vampire, so it’s no wonder he looks like ****, and has no actual personality. No, the final scene can only make sense if we envisage what I suspect is the kernel of contempt this film has for its viewers. I think that from the producer’s point of view, it probably goes something like this: Humans are always, I mean always good for a fair ride (as in the ****ing carnival, not like justice or anything). “Just jump in dummy, ya paid yar fair, now off you go around the track of dumb ass and enjoy yourselves because we have givin up stuffing anything that might be construed as worthwhile down the fat, stupid, lazy pie holes you call a face” Ladies and gentlemen, this movie should be studied in school as an example of why the world is a ****in mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,708 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Zombieland is meant to be big and dumb. Come on. It's worth it for Bill Murray's cameo alone !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Zombieland is meant to be big and dumb. Come on. It's worth it for Bill Murray's cameo alone !

I agree, Bill Murray is by far and away the best thing in the movie...acting out GhostBusters in the living room...HAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

Have to say I loved Zombieland too, I thought it was hilarious.
    And Bill Murray's cameo was the highlight of the movie!!:D

Moon:

Absolutely brilliant and compulsive watching. Sam Rockwell is unbelievable in this film and I'm very surprised that he wasn't nominated for an Oscar this year.
    Compelling viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 BaelNaMblath

Let the Right One In - Swedish vampire flick. Really, really good. Surprisingly had a lot of heart, even if that heart was black and wasn't beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

Seven Pounds - 7.5/10

Good film, interesting story if a little sappy but performances all round were excellent and not your conventional ending. Didnt receive much acclaim when it came out but definitely worth a look.

Dancer In The Dark - 4/10

Heard alot about this and very disappointed. I am familiar with Lars Von Trier so was expecting something off the wall but this seems overly contrived and needs too much suspension of disbelief to sympathise with any of the characters. Some of the actions of the characters utterly defy normal human behaviour, you are left thinking wtf? in several scenes, and not in a good way. I usually cant stand musicals in general but was willing to stick with this because of the hype and all the acclaim Bjork received for her performance. Lars Von Triers anti American theme is getting trying these days. If this is high art they can keep it!

Valkyrie - 8/10

Excellent, it runs like a thriller but is very true in its historical accuracy. Originally Singer was slammed for getting Tom Cruise on board to play the part of a national hero in Germany but once the film was completed, credit was given from the family of Von Stauffenberg after they saw the completed project. Cruise was flamed elsewhere, in the American media but he handled the role more than adequately. A fine cast keep the suspense and tension moving along nicely. There were many attempts on hitlers life but this was the one that so very nearly did the job. Well worth a watch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Ouijaboard

That_Guy wrote: »
    Moon:

Absolutely brilliant and compulsive watching. Sam Rockwell is unbelievable in this film and I'm very surprised that he wasn't nominated for an Oscar this year.
    Compelling viewing.

Moon is a great movie, amazing suspense and tension. I love this sort of Sci-Fi!

The Academy have been more miss than hit in the past few years, I'm beginning to think that they might aswell shut it down.

What are the 3 academy themes requirements for success?

1. Historical figure films

2. Minorities...usually gays but jewish or african american rights will do nicely.

3. the holocaust.

The awards are a load of arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Noise, interesting idea for a film. Well acted with some humorous moments.

Robocop:

Always a classic. Decent enough adaptation from the comic book series.
    It always gets me when that ED machine falls down the stairs when chasing Murphy. Why does it sound like a dinosaur though? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Let the Right One In - Swedish vampire flick. Really, really good. Surprisingly had a lot of heart, even if that heart was black and wasn't beating.

it's amazing and im really pissed off it got no nomination for the oscars

it's amazing and im really pissed off it got no nomination for the oscars

It's because vampires aren't an ethnic minority or gay.... although Twilight.... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

The Hurt Locker - 9.5/10 Quite simply the best film I've seen all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

That_Guy wrote: »
    It's because vampires aren't an ethnic minority or gay.... although Twilight.... ;)

ugh...... actually im surprised new moon got nothing :P

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Adam & Paul:
    Watched it with the gf last night and she got really depressed asking if Dublin was really like that and now does not want to move to dublin :P. ( we live in Austria )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Just watched Black Dynamite.

Oh sweet lord. If you, like me, loved Anchorman. You should love this movie.
    I thought it was hilarious.
    Complete piss take on any of the Blaxploitation movies ever released. Dodgy camera work, dodgy acting and "sticking it to the man" What's not too love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

By the time I got the IFI Open Day today, the only film for which there were any available tickets was the one I most wanted to see: Bringing Up Baby. They don't make 'em like they used to. :D

I think a lot of the audience were people who wanted a free ticket for anything, that was all that was left, and they didn't quite know what to expect. Not that anyone was disappointed: this is (I think) the greatest screwball comedy ever made, starring Cary Grant, Katherine Hepburn, and ... a leopard named Baby, sent from South America by her brother.

Bringing-up-Baby.jpg
    "He's three years old, gentle as a kitten, and likes dogs." I wonder whether Mark means that he eats dogs or is fond of them?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement