Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

The Lovely Bones - I've heard some outstandingly negative reviews of this, my flatmate gave dire warnings against watching it. Honestly, I liked it. I thought that Stanley Tucci gave a brilliantly creepy performance, Saoirse Ronan gave quite a decent performance and Marky Mark even managed a good* showing. I didn't find the CG sequences out of place at all, I thought they helped the tone of the film a great deal, except where it wasn't quite up to scratch.

The narration was a bit annoying at times.

Overall I'd give it a 4/5

*In comparison to most of his other roles this was a masterpiece of acting from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Who Framed Roger Rabbit. :)

It was going stupidly cheap & I had to at least have it for the collection.

Seriously funny, always loved it.

I watched that nearly every day for a year when I was little.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Eagle has Landed (had this on tape for a while), good old-fashioned WW2 yarn based on Jack Higgins thriller featuring the worst Irish accent of the 70s I'd say from Donald Sutherland. The Larry Hagman character was like he'd stepped in from another movie, luckily he didn't last too long. Otherwise good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Watched Robocop tonight. Must have been ten years since I watched it last. Blu Ray does it no favours, showing up lots of grain and making Robo look more a plastic man than a man of metal, but the film itself was as enjoyable as ever.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Passenger 57 - My god Liz Hurley was a goddess in that movie. It's clear looking at that that there's been substantial surgery since then. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

watched Heat this afternoon
    great movie

never noticed before how much a young val kilmer looks like brad pitt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Sideways. Hard to fault it really. Great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Watched Funny People tonight. I have heard absolutely nothing good about it to the point that I really wasn't going to view it. I thought although it doesn't rank beside Sandlers greats like "Happy Gilmore" and "Big Daddy". It was a decent movie and I definitely wouldn't echo the totally lacklaster reviews I read from countless critics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

curious case of benjamin button last night , thought it was crap, the whole movie rests on a gimick as its basic premise , after you get past the originality of this premise , the whole thing becomes dull and tedious

after that , i watched taken with liam neeson , quite enjoyed it ( seeing him dish out some fascist vigillante justice to some euro trash ) and what i would call a good - bad movie

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

David Leans Great Expectations (1946) Beautiful looking and great character actors in it, the young Estelle played by Jean Simmons who just died was stunning looking in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Passenger 57 - My god Liz Hurley was a goddess in that movie. It's clear looking at that that there's been substantial surgery since then. :(

I never realised that was her! Damn she was hot back then.

Went to Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea today. Excellent movie. Not Studio Ghibli's finest but its definitely a brilliant film. 4/5

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

Changeling
    Crash
    Eden Lake

All very good IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

watched Taken last night and really enjoyed it but i thought Liam Neeson voice was strange in some scenes, it didn't seem natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

mailrewop wrote: »
    watched Taken last night and really enjoyed it but i thought Liam Neeson voice was strange in some scenes, it didn't seem natural.
    I thought the whole film was ADR'd and that's why some of it sounds weird to me.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Hard Boiled - John Woo's action masterpiece.Arguably the greatest action movie ever committed to celluloid.Flawless IMHO.
    gotta be honest i havent seen it yet but leon is the greatest action film ever. maybe my opinion will change once i see it

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

watched up in the air recently. laughed once through the whole thing. wasnt really sure if it was a comedy or drama but with a cast that has danny mcbride, zack galifianakis, jason bateman and jk simmons i was hoping for somethig much more. garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

The Lovelty Bones - thought the realistic parts were ok but the "heavenly" parts were rubbish, like a bad psychidellic throwback to some Beatles video!!

The Road - very good, bleak but good.

A Prophet - excellent French movie, subtitled though, which would probably put a lot of people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Dead Snow - was pleasantly surprised (if pleasant is the word to use for this film). Not a world changing film but ideal fare to watch on Valentines day (how I got the wife to go for this I will never know!). And quite possibly the best tagline ever for a film, "Ein, Zwei, Die" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Precious - really didn't fancy watching it and had to force myself to, but found it to be surprisingly good!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Watched Harvey tonight.

Jimmy Stewart is excellent as always in it, and the film has far more layers than a single viewing might suggest.

Spielberg had better stay away from the mooted remake of this film though, otherwise I will hunt down him, Tom Hanks, Shia LaBouef and whoever else gets involved with it.

LaBouef is already on notice for being involved in the remake of Rear Window. :D

Yes I'm aware there have been remakes of it already, with one remake starring Jimmy Stewart. But the films of James Stewart need no remaking in my eyes. The man is a genuine film legend, with literally dozens of top performances to his name, and at least ten classic films that time has not dulled in the slightest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

The Talented Mr. Ripley. Just finished the book yesterday. Didn't really care for the film, Suppose that's always the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Few hours to kill yesterday and so went to Cineworld, only film starting within the hour was Valentine's Day, poster looked okay (I don't ever watch trailers).

Walked out after half an hour.

What junk, painful script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Heat. Brilliant film. High on action and plot and with very well developed characters. Also has one of the best action sequences committed to celluloid halfway through, as DeNiro's crooks have a running battle through the streets of L.A. with Pacino's cops. Thoroughly enjoyed it for the 1,000,000th time of viewing.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The last few I've seen in the cinema were:

Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll
    Invictus
    A Single Man
    The Lovely Bones
    Crazy Heart

Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll was disappointing, and Invictus was only okay, but I liked the others, especially Crazy Heart. I thought Saoirse Ronan and Stanley Tucci were both excellent in The Lovely Bones.

DVDs in the last week:

The Big Lebowski
    Mad Hot Ballroom
    Man on Wire
    Mesrine: Killer Instinct
    Sixteen Candles
    The Thin Blue Line
    Zombieland

Pretty diverse, I suppose. I'd not seen Mad Hot Ballroom or - shockingly - The Thin Blue Line before. Both very good documentaries.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Angel Heart - Heard a lot of people raving about this film...Didn't see what the fuss was about. Mickey Rourke gave a good performance but found myself wondering how long was left throughout it...usually not a good sign.

De Niro played his limited role very well and the chick from Cosby show did alright, but only just.

Martyrs - I don't know how I stumbled across this film, but it sure left an impression on me. French with subtitles, starts out very well...mysterious, interesting, chilling but then completely changes gear and really shocks the senses.

Parts are pretty extreme and frightening but would definitely be worth a look if your into these foreign shockers.

Los cronocrímenes (Timecrimes) - Fantastic timetraveling yarn in Spanish with subtitles. I really enjoyed this film...lots of twists and turns and really makes your mind work hard to understand what (and when) is going on. Very clever, maybe too clever at times as the entire premise seems to create a paradox, but decide for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Decided to refresh the 'ol grey cells with some classics I haven't watched in over a decade.

Empire Records: Watched the 2003 fan edition this time. There's some noticeable additional scenes. But the biggest shocker is how many of the cast are recognizable now for their other TV work. Brought back all the memories of being a teenager.

Pulp Fiction: The OH had never seen this film, I couldn't let that rest. First time watching it in HD. Still up there as one of my all time favorites.

Hackers: It's more of a comedy now, but still great. Working with computers I find most of the conversations side splitting. Before the Matrix, before Google, before boards.ie there was Hackers. Oh and Jolie has never looked better.

Heat: That gunfight... Pacino and De Niro toe to toe... does it get any better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Heat: That gunfight... Pacino and De Niro toe to toe... does it get any better.

My friend has a really good surround sound system and that shootout is fantastic,!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

i am legend , thought it was very good , better than i expected and without doubt , one of will smiths best

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement