Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Anakin.S wrote: »
    My friend has a really good surround sound system and that shootout is fantastic,!

So do I ;) Last time I watched it was on a crummy 17" CRT. I now have a full HT setup and it's fantastic. The rest of the film is rather quiet in comparison, and then it suddenly bursts into this amazing gunfight (almost went to turn down the volume for the neighbors, but then I said "nah, screw them, I'm watching this as it's meant to be watched"). You can hear the bullets flying past all around you. It's accentuated by the complete lack of any distracting musical score, and the echo of the surrounding buildings in the shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Hard Candy.

Good enough to pass a couple of hours, and I really liked Ellen Page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Saw A Single Man AND Crazy Heart yesterday.

Colin Firth is brilliant as a man trying to keep up a happy outward appearance as hes mourning the loss of his partner of 14 years. It looks beautiful too as does Julianne Moore who plays his depressed semi alcoholic neighbour and only true friend.

Jeff Bridges is the stereotypical washed up country and western singer playing toilets and having one night stands whos life is turned upside down when he meets an aspiring journalist and is invited to tour with an ex protege that he feel out with previously.
    Excellent support from Maggie Gyllenhaal and Colin Farrell!

Both highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Watched Two For The Money Again tonight

and i still enjoyed it!

Matthew is capable of playing certain roles for sure

also saw Its Complicated yesterday

It was alright i guess, enjoyed Alec Baldwin in it

had some funny parts but overall i think its one for the ladies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Giselle wrote: »
    Hard Candy.

Good enough to pass a couple of hours, and I really liked Ellen Page.

i liked that film (about as much as a man can ;)) and thought she was excellent in it

definite potential in her as an actress

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Seen Crazy Heart tonight.

Great little film. Great performance from Jeff Bridges, he really seems to live up there on the screen. You never get a sense that he is acting at all. Very underrated actor I think.

Story is meaty enough for a small movie.

Really liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

jeff is the man.. watched thunderbolt and lightfoot the other day.. brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Astro Boy

I liked it a lot and the four year old I used as an excuse to go see it brought to see it was very impressed and spent the rest of the day pretending to be Astro.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Watched Adventureland tonight, it's really good! Soundtrack is deadly too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Richard Noggin

I saw ''Up in the Air'' on Thursday. It is really enjoyable.

Clooney is very good in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

ashyle wrote: »
    Watched Adventureland tonight, it's really good! Soundtrack is deadly too.

Snap, I thought it was mis labled as a comedy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Snap, I thought it was mis labled as a comedy though.

yeah it's totally a drama. I was expecting a silly comedy cos Ryan Reynolds is in it, so I was pleasantly surprised!

Solomon Kane
    Star Wars in Sherwood Forest.
    An episode of Scooby Doo has more plot.
    Boring but passes the time I suppose.

The Last Station
    Superb.
    Great script, great performances, will stay with you.
    Terrific stuff indeed.
    Will watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Funuke: Show Some Love, You Losers! - Weird Japanese dark comedy about a budding actress returning home to live with her brother and the wife he abuses, and wannabe manga artist sister, after her allowance is cut off by the untimely death of their parents who died in a road accident involving a truck and a cat
    (they ran in front of the turck to save the cat...)

The last twenty minutes are all over the place like the humour but
    the wife rolling along the ground three times like on a slop after being hit
    was an unexpected laugh.

Also rewatched:
    Aliens
    Alien³ (Assembly Cut)
    Alien vs Predator

Never been particularly attached to Newt and Hicks to get the hate for Alien 3 (but if I had a chance to see the original "[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]Wreckage and Rape: The Making of Alien³" [/FONT]I might). It brings back the danger of just one xenomorph but what undermimes the film compared to the first two is the facehugger inconsistency.
    Where does Ripley's go since they're shown to fall off and die right there, and why does the cow xenomorph chest burst long before the queen?

Same problem's in AVP
    with the chest bursting happening much faster than in Alien
    . I'm one of the few that prefer Requiem. Even if I couldn't see most of it that's what benefits the xenomorph. ;) Plus it leaves a good opening to adapt the Eternal comic:
    A man finds a crashed Predator ship and discovers the Predator blood grants immortality - which I'd change to curing cancer or something for the film - gets rich reverse engineering some of the technology and incubates some xenomorph eggs in the hold believing them to be predators he can essentially farm them. Many years later, a journalist goes investigating the man's HQ in Tokyo when predators show up to claim their missing tech.
    And it will never happen.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Dawn of the Dead (2006 remake I think)

Very much enjoyed it.

Always love watching movies like this, because it brings about discussions of what you would do if a Zombie outbreak happened.

Where would you go, what would you do, & with what weapons, that kinda stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Black Dynamite:

Yep, Is a very good comedy as posted earlier. Does get a tad bit silly throughout though. In some places I was thinking this is as stupid as Kung Pao Enter The Fist but only in some places.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Yesterday I watched

Bronson - not a great movie, but the lead role is played well I thought.

Dead Man Running - Danny Dyer & Tammer Hassan - exactly what you would expect from this pair, cockney wide boys up to no good. Not bad really.

Precious - Not as bad as I was expecting it to be, lead role is played very well, and Mariah Carey doesnt look great with no make up!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

TopBombing wrote: »
    Dead Man Running - Danny Dyer & Tammer Hassan - exactly what you would expect from this pair, cockney wide boys up to no good. Not bad really.

How could you expect anything else from these two :D

24761_2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

The Dammed United Loved it, great retro feel to the film and Michael Sheen is Brian Clough for that hour & a half.

The Invention of Lying I like Ricky Gervais but I found this to be tepid at best.

Das Boot Rewatched this again, still a wonderful movie, all glorious 3 hours of it.

The Road Heard it was a depressing affair so took a little time before I got around to watching it but so glad I did, thought it was excellent and well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

TopBombing wrote: »
    Mariah Carey doesnt look great with no make up!!
    She doesn't look great with make-up!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

frost - nixon , was good but not as great as i was led to believe , frank langellas potrayal of nixon was the standout here where as micheal sheen could have been potraying tony blair for all i knew

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

Two Lovers - Very disappointing. Avoid, it's miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Sex Drive (Unrated Edition) - Was enjoyable. Made me laugh a good few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The Hurt Locker - I'd highly recommend it, great watch

Fish Tank - Michael Fassbenders latest movie, it was only alright didn't really get into it

The Lovely Bones - utter ****e imo, one of those movies you could slag almost every scene if you were in the mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

The Wolfman

Let me set a prefix for this one.. it was the 16:00 and there was nobody else in the whole cinema except me and my cousin.... cue plenty of scene bitting and pure laughter... film was so bad we even decided to talk about what would LOTR be like if it was narrated by 'travellers'. Cue more laughter. Cue Agent Smith cue plenty of more Matrix LOTR infused Wolf howls....

So basically its pure rubbish.

Alien Resurrection - I rewatched the Special Edition with the bad CG xenomorph bug at the start and desolate France ending. Can never qute place what it is about that doesn't hold up to the previous three movies. I suppose it's that the ideas are fine it's the execution. But unlike Joss Whedon I can't blame everything but the script.

I'm willing to supend disbelief on the cloning process but
    the queen going from eggs to pregnancy
    is too much. I don't even mind the "Newborn".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

The Crying Game - Intriguing film, some great scenes full of tension and poses a lot of questions. Very interesting film. 7/10

K4t wrote: »
    The Crying Game - Intriguing film, some great scenes full of tension and poses a lot of questions. Very interesting film. 7/10

I have often wondered if anyone ever came home from the Pub and flicked on the TV and never had seen it before started getting all frisky with themselves and then .... BAM!! :eek:

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

came across a ( KIDS ) movie from around 30 years ago last night , the dark crystal , one of the weirdest movies ive ever seen but quite marvelous none the less

• Advertisement

irishh_bob wrote: »
    came across a ( KIDS ) movie from around 30 years ago last night , the dark crystal , one of the weirdest movies ive ever seen but quite marvelous none the less

The Dark Crystal is a classic. The sequel Power of the Dark Crystal is supposedly due out next year but it's been in development for a while.

Have you seen David Bowie's crotch Labyrinth or The Storyteller TV series from around the same time (ie the 80's) at all? You should. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement