Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I watched recently Benjamin Button...didn't think that much of it, overrated....i thought Forrest Gump or Bicentenial Man wrre superior.
    I also saw an ULTRA low budget movie called Kicking The Dog...sheesh, it had some interesting dialogue in a brief few scenes, but it was just consumed with frat boy sex talk...all the way through.

just watched Tron for the first time

its AMAZING, cheesey but short and sweet, told its story clearly,fantastic funny adaption of computers/games as they make there way to the central computer, graphics are amazing, grey suits not so good.

TRON is a totally underrated movie!....from a technological perspective it raised the bar, it was truely groundbreaking....just like Termintor 2 was for it's use of CGI.

The story is kinda crap, but i appreciate it from a technological perspective, the next evolutionary highpoint was The Last Starfighter.

Then we had Young Sherlock Holmes, the first true CGI character, and of course introduced Pixar.

Can i recomend y'all go rent The Mist....the ending is totally shocking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

The Bucket List - completely average

The Illusionist - fantastic recommend it to all

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Watched The Godfather Set Again :D Truly A Classic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

I saw "The 9th Company" on Film Four last week. Best descibed as a Russian "Full Metal Jacket". Follows a group of young army recruits through basic training and on to the Soviet war in Afghanistan. It is based on a real battle that took place in 1988. Good film.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I saw "The 9th Company" on Film Four last week. Best descibed as a Russian "Full Metal Jacket". Follows a group of young army recruits through basic training and on to the Soviet war in Afghanistan. It is based on a real battle that took place in 1988. Good film.

I saw this as well, the battle scenes were very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

I saw this as well, the battle scenes were very impressive.
    Me To

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Watched The Wrestler tonight. Fantastic acting by Rourke but storyline felt a bit flat at times. Worth a watch though.

Just back from Knowing and I have to say that I absolutly loved it. it's one of the most refreshing and original sci fi films that I have seen in a long, long time. While not quite up there with Proyase's Dark City it's not too far off.

• Advertisement

sillyputty wrote: »
    The Illusionist - fantastic recommend it to all

+1 on that. Amazing film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Crank High Voltage again last night.

Other than that, 'Role Models' I think is about it recently.

There's a chance I watched the two Harold & Kumar movies, Jay & Silent Bob, some Dave Chappell crap but I'm not sure :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Watched The Wrestler, as was said, great performance from Rourke, but everything else about it was forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Nausicaa: Valley of the Wind - really enjoyed this

Spirited Away - great also

Seven Pounds - not so great, i was skipping ahead of the predicatble scenes just to get to the end

• Moderators Posts: 51,789 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Max Payne. Really wish I could have that time back:mad:

If you can read this, you're too close!

Monster Vs Aliens 3D. If it weren't for the 3D the film would really having nothing going for it. It's a quite bland and unoriginal film lacking a distinct voice. My biggest gripe was just how much more could have been done with the 3D technology but wasn't even attempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

'Burn After Reading' - really funny - no-one's as good at swearing as Malkovich. Also funny and sweary, 'In Bruges', which I watched for the first time last week. And two Billy Wilder classics that I hadn't seen for ages - 'Double Indemnity' and 'Sunset Boulevard'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Hot Rod-Kinda cheesy but it had its moments and did make me laugh now and again so it was worth the watch.

Last night I watched Babe, Drillbit Taylor, Back To The Future and Knocked Up.

Babe I watched out of complete boredom and thought it was quite good. I'd seen it before but I never really appreciated it until now. Still hasn't deferred me from eating pork mind you.

Drillbit Taylor was ok. Few laughs here and there but it wasn't amazing by any means. Made we want to hit someone though by the end of it. Not because it was so bad but there's a strong theme of violence embedded in there.

Back To The Future.... Well it's a timeless film really isn't it? :)

Knocked Up was very very good. I'd highly recommend it. There was a few films last year that touched on pregnancy but I think this was the best one. Very very funny and extremely heartwarming. They manage to mix serious issues with comedy extremely well. I'd definitely check it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The Darjeeling Limited
    My Neighbour Totoro

Both utterly fantastic. Great for lifting the mood.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Last night i watched 'Cleaner' on Sky with Samuel L Jackson and Eva Mendes, it was average, i have seen far better thrillers.

sillyputty wrote: »
    Last night i watched 'Cleaner' on Sky with Samuel L Jackson and Eva Mendes, it was average, i have seen far better thrillers.

Thinking about watching that myself tonight actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Last night I made a a date with Eacape From New York, first time I'd watched in about 15 years. Rather enjoyed it, obviously the future didn't quite work out that way but its always fun looking back on the future as projected in the past.

Also caught up with Children of Men last week, very good I have to say after a while I nearly forgot it was all makey-upy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Watched The Perfect Storm on TV last night, quite enjoyed it too.

Just watched Back To The Future Part 2.

Wasn't as good as the first but still very very good. I wish I had a flux capacitator to travel backwards and forwards in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ended up watching "Trading places" on sky one at the weekend.

had forgotten what a really good film it is ! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭*Simone*

Saw 'Observe and Report' last night - really enjoyed it! Wasn't expecting it to be such a black comedy but it really was! Same league as Bad Santa. Also, I have a huge thing for Seth Rogen so that made it even better for me ;)

And just saw 'State of Play' there tonight. Enjoyed it, even if it did confuse me a little. Little bit too long though. Helen Mirren annoyed me hugely in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Death Race (aka Death Race 3000):There was no real storyline but who needs one with the action and special effects that are in this.Great fun to watch.8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Someone mentioned Donnie Darko in another thread, so I watched that again this evening, several years after the previous first time. It's both simpler and more complex than I remembered. I should go to sleep, but I can't, not yet.
    The whole "tangent universe" thing reminds me of one of Terry Pratchett's books, Mort, where the universe is also "split" by someone not dying when they're "supposed" to. In the book there's a "front" where the universes rub up against each other, but in this case, Donnie seems to be inhabiting a tangent universe, a split in the space-time continuum.

My main source of confusion is about what Donnie actually did at the end, if anything. I mean, he's been attacked, his girlfriend has been killed, yet he seems happy somehow, knowing he can "make it right". Did he cause the turbulence that ripped the engine from the plane, sending it back in time, cutting off the tangent universe by killing himself?

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Six Shooter. Short film directed by the In Bruges director. Brendan Gleeson's in it and it's set on a train in Wexford. Very funny, got it on DVD in Laser (in Dublin) for a fiver

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement