Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Ridley wrote: »

Never been particularly attached to Newt and Hicks to get the hate for Alien 3 (but if I had a chance to see the original "[FONT=arial, helvetica, courier, *]Wreckage and Rape: The Making of Alien³" [/FONT]I might). It brings back the danger of just one xenomorph but what undermimes the film compared to the first two is the facehugger inconsistency.
    Where does Ripley's go since they're shown to fall off and die right there, and why does the cow xenomorph chest burst long before the queen?

Its in the novelisation that the queen embryo has a longer gestation period than the regular alien, theres something about how a facehugger can lay a queen egg at will as well to restart a colony afaik, still doesnt explain how they got on the Sulaco though...

I love Alien 3, its unfairly lambasted since it release but its still miles better than Resurrection, which was sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think Resurrection has the bones of a decent film, but it's let down by the last half hour or so - the hybrid thing is both cringeworthy and laughable at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

krudler wrote: »
    Its in the novelisation that the queen embryo has a longer gestation period than the regular alien, theres something about how a facehugger can lay a queen egg at will as well to restart a colony afaik, still doesnt explain how they got on the Sulaco though...

Cloaked PredAlien? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 tylerJ

Polanski's Ghostwriter -fantastic, well-made, gripping thriller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

'Little Criminals' - Canadian drama about juvenile delinquents in a poor neighbourhood and their respective backgrounds. Must watch. 8.5/10 *found it on youtube, some real gems uploaded there*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Just back from "From Paris with Love"..Twas pritty awsome :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Kill Bill Volume 1 just showed on FX.

Hadn't seen it since it came out.
    Bit of a mess in all fairness.
    After watching "Basterds" I can safely say that QT has just made two good movies - Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

jayteecork wrote: »
    Kill Bill Volume 1 just showed on FX.

Hadn't seen it since it came out.
    Bit of a mess in all fairness.
    After watching "Basterds" I can safely say that QT has just made two good movies - Resevoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction.

What ?????? :eek::eek::eek:
    QT has made some brilliant movies......including "Basterds".....
    What movies do you like ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭John-Holmes

Crazy Heart (4.5*)

I watched this last night. Loved it so much I want to go to America and become a country singer with a drink problem lol.
    Highly recommend even if you don't like country music!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

The Cove

Not sure I'll be recommending it to the locals. Curious to see what kind of press coverage is generated if it claims an Oscar as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Just watched G.I Joe on sky box office. What a waste of money, should of spent the money buying a dvd from amazon.

I would not recomend this to anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

The Road - well worth seeing Mortensen is excellent.
    Appaloosa -a western with Mortensen in it. Decent enough flick.
    Seraphim Falls - a western with Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan. Starts well but tails off into boredom. Avoid
    Body of Lies - Ridley Scott CIA movie. Better than previous CIA films as doesn't enter into a web of confusion. Di Caprio is solid in it which probably makes the movie for me
    Crazy Heart - excellent performance from Jeff Bridges. Good story line to it and an easy one to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭swapple

Funny People: Not as bad as I heard it was, got a bit muddled somewhere near the end though.

Waking Life: I should've taken notes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Rumble in the Bronx ♥

Excellent movie. Jackie Chan, you are awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Precious - The most uncomfortable experience I've had in a cinema for a long time. So horrible to watch, makes you grateful for the comfortable life you lead. Thought Miriah Carey's acting in one particular scene with Precious and her mother was outstanding.

Milk - Love a good bio pic, and this one is a good one. Sean Penn is superb and highly deserving of his Oscar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

seven pounds with will smith , i liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

The Wrestler: Still my favourite movie. Crazy Heart my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Not quite a film but have recently finished watching Season One of The Forsyte Saga... didn't realise there had been more than one series because this one was hours long... but here goes Season Two!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Many years since I've seen either but watching them during my current Aliens Vs Predator fix:

Predator

Predator 2 - It's Robocop when it should be Die Hard and The Terminator. Would have been a much better film if it was sent in contemporary LA without Morton Downey, Jr. and Bill Paxton being so annoying. I don't mind Danny Glover.

Not sure whether it's illogical to take the stairs to get to the next building rather than climb down the wall from the perspective of Harrigan's POV but there's something missing about the predator going from cemetery to moving on to the subway rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

From Paris With Love

Horrible horrible movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Death Wish the first and last time I saw this was on a double bill with The Warriors (I bet the New York tourist office was thrilled when they hit the screen) in 1981. It turned up on ITV last night in what appeared to be a fairly unedited form, that said its not got any better with age. Michael Winner never was much more than a competent hack its starts fine with New York thuggery layed on thick but to some effect then Paul Kersey gets seduced by the power of the gun while on assignment in the wild new west of Arizona and returns to NYC a changed man both appalled as his own actions and yet seeking out the scum. From there on though its a pretty routine 'shoot a mugger/see the cops turn up late' saga which build up no tension at all. Not helped by a strange score by Herbie Hannock who's jazz skill is dropped in favour of a "traditional" string/piano score until quite late on when we get to hear some proper funky chops which the film could have done with right from the get-go. It did the business in '74 and the slew of sequels are all worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

Just watched Finding Bliss. Leelee Sobieski plays a virginal New York Film school graduate who moves to Hollywood and ends up working in the adult entertainment industry, battling her conscience and prudishness til the end. It was woefully trite but, hey, it's a Saturday night!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

Zombieland - actually quote a funny film. Better than i would of thought
    500 Days of summer - absolute manure. Lasted all of 20 minutes before pulling the plug on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Magic eye

North Face. The best climbing film I have seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

The Crazies - Its quite an enjoyable film. Some bits are a bit predictable but it got a few jumps out of me. There are a few minor annoyances with it such as
    the fight with the coroner didn't really gel properly
    but overall I liked it. I'd give it 3.5/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

White men cant jump. Excellent film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The Hurt Locker - very enjoyable film

Black Dynamite - overrated much???

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Innerspace, am a massive Joe Dante fan so had a marathon this weekend, Gremlins 2, The 'burbs, Matinee and Innerspace, nobody does small town kooky humour like Dante, love Denis Quaid in this, "well if we're not balls to the wall with all American heroes in here!"

what the hell ever happened to Martin Short anyway?aside from his genius part in Arrested Development

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

I Just watched The Basketball Diaries. I don't see what all the fuss was about; it got quite stale half way through and I just hoped it would end. The good kid turned junkie story is getting old for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Valmont wrote: »
    I Just watched The Basketball Diaries. I don't see what all the fuss was about; it got quite stale half way through and I just hoped it would end. The good kid turned junkie story is getting old for me.

What if you had watched it closer to it's release date? It was made in '95!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement