Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Valmont wrote: »
    I Just watched The Basketball Diaries. I don't see what all the fuss was about; it got quite stale half way through and I just hoped it would end. The good kid turned junkie story is getting old for me.

I'm pretty sure its a true story, I really enjoyed it. IMO DiCaprio is really good in it. I thought James Madio from Band of Brothers was really good in it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 708 ✭✭✭zimovain

Yip, true story. The book is amazing, well worth reading!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

The Messenger, decent

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Brief interviews with hideous men.......it was OK, it doesnt do the book justice, but being able to make a movie from the book is quite an achievment.
    I thought the cast where brilliant and done a suberb job.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Cactus Colm

Watched Give 'Em Hell Malone there yesterday. Very enjoyable film. .. actually ... really enjoyable.

Thomas Jane is great in it. And French Stewart as Johnny Crooner is brilliant ... really wanted to hear the full version of Lou Reed's Goodnight Ladies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

1)A Danish film called Applaus about a woman battling with alcoholism and trying to reunite with the children she abused and ultimately gave up as a result of her descent into alcoholism. It follows her trying to find emotion and meaning in life as she teeters on the edge of her addiction.

2)Precious a roller-coaster journey highlighting the evil humans can inflict on one another behind closed doors and the indomitable strength of the human spirit.

Both blew me away and the acting was raw genius.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

trainspotting last night, forgot how good that movie was and just how long the camera lingered on that dead child :/

watched bedtime story today. david niven doing what david niven does best, being awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭uggy

The invention of lying - I like Ricky Gervais, but did anyone else think he used this movie to push his religous views out to the masses? Good premise, thought it could of been done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,294 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'9'

Interesting, but ultimately lightweight animated adventure. The visuals are stunning and the industrial nature of its inhabitants is convincing. But, in the end, the story lacks a certain "umph."

Overall, it feels like the computer game 'Fallout 3', but with no human characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

uggy wrote: »
    The invention of lying - I like Ricky Gervais, but did anyone else think he used this movie to push his religous views out to the masses? Good premise, thought it could of been done better.

massive Gervais fan, but that film was just brutal for me

cant remember enough now to comment on religious beliefs but the filom itself just bored the life out of me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Mesrine Part 2 Public Enemy No1 - loved it, Vincent Cassel is fantastic in it. Saw Part 1 in the cinema and had to buy the boxset on DVD to see the second part. Finally got around to see it last night. IMO its up the with Godfather 2 at the best sequel ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Ha, what now? :D The first one was very average. If you need to check out a French film from last year, you should probably go with A Prophet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Fat Belly ChopperUnchopped.
    Finding Bliss
    Extract
    Hachiko: A Dog's Story
    Everybody's Fine
    Dread
    House Broken
    Four Minutes
    Case 39

Extract, Finding Bliss, Everybody's fine and Hachiko were enjoyable. The rest are forgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Fantastic Mr Fox: Loved it. Was a little let down by the Darjeeling Limited, but this has Wes Anderson firmly back on form. Something about George Clooneys voice is just perfect for comedy imo, he was the best thing about "Burn after reading" and now this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Ha, what now? :D The first one was very average. If you need to check out a French film from last year, you should probably go with A Prophet.

Have seen A Prophet, would say that the Mesrine movies are better, but thats just personal taste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

marwelie wrote: »
    Mesrine Part 2 Public Enemy No1 - loved it, Vincent Cassel is fantastic in it. Saw Part 1 in the cinema and had to buy the boxset on DVD to see the second part. Finally got around to see it last night. IMO its up the with Godfather 2 at the best sequel ever.

Seen both on the same day at the cinema and they were terrific.

Excellent films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Watched Shutter Island the other night. Very disappointed :( Was really looking forward to it, love Scorcese, saw the twist coming an absolute mile away though, kept telling myself nah, it must twist around again and go another way, Scorcese's surely far too good to just go that way....gah. It could have been soo good but was just trying too hard and the end was quite implausible.

Watched Hook as well on Monday night, I know everyone gets very down on it but I think
    I actually really like it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

we went to see Crazy Heart last night. I thought it was excellent and Jeff Bridges was very believable in his role. Maggie Gyllenhaal was excellent too.

Nice soundtrack too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

recently ive watched:

adaptation: good film imo cage played the parts well and i thought chris cooper was excellent in it also. 8/10

zombieland: thought this film was great. im a huge fan of shaun of the dead im surprised it took me so long to get around to seeing it. some very funny parts. woody harellson was the best part of the movie. the bill murray cameo had me in stitches 8/ 10

A serious Man: ive seen loads of the coen brothers films but i couldnt understand this one at all was completely lost with all the references. wouldnt watch again 4/10

hamlet 2: steve coogan plays a drama school teacher who comes up with the plot to a sequel to hamlet. blah thought it was pretty crap to be honest one or two laughs in it 5/10

Once upon a time in america: whoa what a film watched it last night thought it was one of the best ive seen up there with the godfather. i loved the way the story moved from the 30s back to the 60's. didnt notice the time go bye and only to check twice and realise id been sitting there for 3 hours 40 mins odd. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Oisintarrant

The Underworld Trilogy, Id consider ive watched or at least heard of every film like this out there.. but only caught the tail end of one on tv, watched the trilogy in one sitting and was glued to the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

My One and Only.

"In My One and Only, the moviegoer can see how a generous spirit is the deciding factor that separates comedy from drama"

Indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭extrinzic

damselnat wrote: »
    Watched Shutter Island the other night. Very disappointed :( Was really looking forward to it, love Scorcese, saw the twist coming an absolute mile away though, kept telling myself nah, it must twist around again and go another way, Scorcese's surely far too good to just go that way....gah. It could have been soo good but was just trying too hard and the end was quite implausible.

Watched Hook as well on Monday night, I know everyone gets very down on it but I think
    I actually really like it :eek:

Feck off

extrinzic wrote: »
    Feck off

:confused:

You don't like about Shutter Island or Hook?
    Hey, it just reminds me of being a kid, I just want to be a kid again....forever:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just finished all about lily chou chou, it'd been a few years since I watched it last and I remembred it being an amazing movie but it still blew me away

hoshino was an absolute bastard and all, but I still felt kinda sorry for the kid

damselnat wrote: »
    :confused:

You don't like about Shutter Island or Hook?
    Hey, it just reminds me of being a kid, I just want to be a kid again....forever:p
    I haven't seen Shutter Island, but Hook, with the pirates and ****?? WTF?

+1

extrinzic wrote: »
    I haven't seen Shutter Island, but Hook, with the pirates and ****?? WTF?

+1

OK, OK, I admit, I just have fantasises about a food fight with colourful goo! It just looks so fun :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I'm working my way through all the Studio Ghibli films. SO far I've watched Grave of the Fireflies, Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke, Ponyo, Pom Poko, Porco Rosso, My Neightbour Totoro, Laputa and Kiki's Delivery Service.

While technically they're kids films I can't get enough of them. Not only is the animation top notch but the storytelling is much better than many live action films I've seen lately.

AFAIK I am the crayon maestro, so bring that colouring book over here and I'll paint a picture that would put the Mona Lisa off a shade.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm on a Humphrey Bogart streak at the moment, just watched The Big Sleep. Have African Queen and Angels with Dirty Faces at work waiting for me. Ah times when drinking and smoking were only for the classy and sophisticated. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

I'm on a 80's childhood binge right now. Little monsters, night of the creeps, the burbs, monster squad, stand by me, lost boys, mac and me etc. Seen them when i was a kid but were all dubbed in Spanish. Now that i speak english the experience is much better.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement