Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Up - I'd heard great reviews of it but I found it a bit meh to be honest. The first half is very good with quite a few laughs, but if peters out far too early. Disappointing.

Maybe a 6/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Let us know what you thought. I was so let down with TDK after watching Begins.

Got around to watching The Dark Knight.
    Not disappointed as such, but I didn't like it as much as The Batman Begins. Little too moralistic and tbh it was getting close to a formulaic action movie at some points. Some great performances no doubt, but not as good as The Batman Begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Charlie Wilsons War, decent show, staring tom hanks and phillip seymour hoffman, about a U.S congressman that got approval to help the afgans fight the russians during the cold war,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Gran Torino - saw it on Sky Movies HD over the weekend. Thought it was excellent, 9/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In the Loop (2009), a big screen spin off from BBC comedy The Thick of It, but certainly not as good simply because the sheer intensity of the 30 min format has to be diluted for a feature film. Its not bad just make sure you see Loop before Thick.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    In the Loop (2009), a big screen spin off from BBC comedy The Thick of It, but certainly not as good simply because the sheer intensity of the 30 min format has to be diluted for a feature film. Its not bad just make sure you see Loop before Thick.

Just finished rewatching it myself. Absolutely love the film though it's not a patch on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Aurora Borealis

Just back from the Lovely Bones. Great book, ridiculous film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Watched Atonement last night: not the kind of film I would need to see on the big screen, I was happy to wait till it came out on TV. It's one of those films that leaves you with more questions than answers. What is "atonement"? Is it possible? Did Briony achieve it, in her fashion, or was she just deluding herself? She was just 13 and clueless, can she be blamed for the effects of her childish misunderstanding?
    Because of the false accusation Briony made against Robbie, he went to prison and ended up in the Army as a private, dying at Dunkirk. He was supposed to go to university, and would have been an officer or possibly not in the Army at all. Once the war started, Cecilia ran away to London and became an ordinary nurse, and was killed in a bomb raid. The happy life they had to together was just fiction, written by an elderly Briony in the present day, as an attempt at atonement for what she did at 13. Only 60 years too late ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I watched 'Up' last night. Oh god I babbled like a baby. It's just beautiful to look at with the vibrant colours and the story is so engaging and inspiring

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

perrier's bounty - Saw this last night, funny in parts, but I cant say that I was overly impressed......

Due to the fact that I got the tickets for the thing here, I am afraid to say any more,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Exam season for me goes hand in hand in watching films :o:o:o

Spirited Away - I got this on DVD many years ago and never took it out of the wrapper. Finally got around to watching and was thoroughly impressed.

Ponyo Another Miyazaki movie . Because I liked the above and went and got this and was again, thoroughly enjoyed it.

My Neighbor Totoro as above except I enjoyed this the least. Perhaps because I watched them in the above order and in such a relatively short space of time MNT seemed weak in comparison.

Jason and the Argonauts Classic claymation movie from the 60s. I actually found the acting quite brittle but it's reputation kept me going.

Clash of the Titans as above except released in the 80s, a better movie.

7th Voyage of Sinbad i think this was the best of the bunch, very much enjoyed this.

So after my classic anime, than classic claymation, i went on to cultclassic B movies

The Warrior's The trailer was actually a bit better than the movie. I enjoyed it but really felt it lacked good dialogue and narrative.

The Princess bride first time re watching this as an adult, again it's hard not be critical of the selfparodying style but overall very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

bnt wrote: »
    Watching Stardust on C4 this evening - first time. Very weird in certain ways. I'll watch anything with Claire Danes in it: she's luminous here, which is hardly surprising given the nature of her character ... :cool:

(Ricky Gervais is annoying ...
    but not for very long. Ow.
    )

I liked Stardust. Felt it should have been bigger than it was. Plus you get to play spot the comedy actor. Mark Williams was wasted though.

Ricky Gervais plays the same character in everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I should be studying (university break), but got sidetracked when I saw the listing for a Western on TV: Sam Peckinpah's Ride The High Country (1962). It's one of those elegiac Westerns, set in the early 20th century, about how the old days are gone for good. In the opening scene, the main character nearly gets run down by a car - talk about changing times, eh? I really liked it. The story starts off simple, but gets weird when a girl gets involved. There's a wedding, but hardly the stuff of dreams for her; more like a nightmare from a Fellini film (which Peckinpah surely had seen by then). :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Freddy Got Fingered. Still makes me laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

Demolition Man on Sky Movies. I love it, even though I know I shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

gran torino this evening , disapointed , thought the whole premise from start to finish was implausible and while i love clint , his charechter was a mix of dirty harry , the man with no name and your man from one foot in the grave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭applehunter

Watched Two Lovers on TV this afternoon.

Jouquin Phoenix and Gweneth Paltrow star.

I suppose you could call it a tale as old as time. Unrequtied love and the concequences.

Well made and acted but nothing new here.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Watched 'omega man' last night and 'west-world' tonight....sweet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Sleazus wrote: »
    Demolition Man on Sky Movies. I love it, even though I know I shouldn't.

Pfft, Demolition Man is awesome, Snipes is brilliant in it "what seems to be your boggle?"

• Registered Users Posts: 43 belly19

watched mike leighs naked last night,hadnt seen it for ages.still brilliant,david thewlis is excellent as johnny!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Orphan - Enjoyable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Black Dynamite - Loved It
    "'Cause tonight-"
    "Dynamite's gonna make everything alright."
    "Euphoria, shut the *beep* up, I knew that was you, didn't even have to look! Maybe I should send you back to Crenshaw Pete, with his hot-ass coat hangers, would you like that, bitch!?"
    :D

Beyond A Reasonable Doubt - predictable ending to a lame film
    Law Abiding Citizen - Decent film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Kingdom of Heaven: Directors Cut

Far far better than I remember the Cinema version being.
    Much more happening, greater detail and Orlando Bloom scenes more spaced out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Alice In Wonderland 3D unfortunately. Visually great; otherwise apalling apart from a few moments of near-redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Freddy Got Fingered. Still makes me laugh.

I nearly pueked laughing when he tried to be "more creative" with the piano and sausages.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Saw The Hurt Locker lastnight, thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Alice in Wonderland - it was okay, not amazing, the girlfriend loved it though.
    The Citizen - only average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Alice and Wonderland 3D - Felt they were trying to play safe with it. They wanted to make it darker but didn't want to frighten the younger kids.
    I thought it was only ok.

Legion - Oh this movie is so bad. Terrible. I just dont know how it got made or how Paul Bettany and Dennis Quaid ended up in it. I just skipped past the tediously bad character development until the action and that was all talk as well. Dont watch it. Not even for fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Triangle
    Interesting low-budget horror. Not as clever as it thinks it is, but definitely worth a watch.[/QUOTE]
    Bang on the button there..it could have been very good, I got this out when i saw the lads behind 'creep' made it...very far from the raw feel creep had..Set's where very bad and it Lent very heavy on it's story line which at first i thaught ..ok, this could be good but all it did was slap itself on the back again and again eventually fizzled out like a wet fart..worth a watch, but crashes into a cul de sac in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched Harry Brown again recently, good film but I still think the morals are warped and hypocritical.

Watched Song For A Raggy Boy again tonight and, man, what a bleak but powerful film.

I was watching Borstel Boys now but ultimately it's shìte and I lost interest in it. It just makes me want to watch the superior Borstel prison film Scum again with a young Ray Winstone in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm watching Ruthless People. I forgot how brilliant this film is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement