Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

humanji wrote: »
    I'm watching Ruthless People. I forgot how brilliant this film is.

Excellent film. Gonna watch it now.

But I've just wrapped up watching Eden Lake so I could use a laugh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just seen Shutter Island, what a pile of ****, scorsese and di caprio films have taken a missive dive in my list of must see films, the script was brutal and extremely un-original,

2 out of 10,

the break down is, 1) for actually writing a script and 1) for actually gettin a studio to make this, :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

don ramo wrote: »
    just seen Shutter Island, what a pile of ****, scorsese and di caprio films have taken a missive dive in my list of must see films, the script was brutal and extremely un-original,

2 out of 10,

the break down is, 1) for actually writing a script and 1) for actually gettin a studio to make this, :mad:
    While I do think it was unoriginal and I guessed how it would turn out 5/10 minutes in, I really enjoyed it.

I just thought that even though we've all seen similar plots before that it was carried out very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

We went to see this yesterday and really enjoyed it, sure it wasn't perfect but it was enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

In the last couple of weeks I have watched -

The Wrestler
    Pineapple Express
    Step Brothers
    The Number 23
    Tropic Thunder
    The people under the stairs
    Star wars: The Clone Wars
    The Kingdom
    Burn After Reading
    The wrestler..that was really good as it happens, quite surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just Watched the 1941 Hitchcock thriller Suspicion, as I mentioned in the "films on TV" thread. I deliberately avoided reading about the film until after I watched it. I was disappointed in the ending, and now I read that it was changed by Hitchcock from the novel: he complained about studio interference, but other sources say it was his idea. It's a bit like the first Blade Runner ending.

Two more things I learned in the reading: Joan Fontaine won the Academy Award for Best Actress for this film, the only time that an actor won the award for a Hitchcock film. (Hitchcock himself never won an Oscar, though Rebecca won Best Picture in 1940.)

The other thing I learned is that, as you probably guessed, there's a remake in the works, starring ... Will Smith. :confused: :mad: :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I went a bit mad this week for film watching mainly due to having to do all nighters for college. So, this week I have watched:

Italian Job (original)
    Italian Job (remake)
    Dreamcatcher
    Trainspotting
    The Hurt Locker
    Up
    Toy Story 1 & 2 Blu-ray
    Terminator 1-3 and Terminator Salvation
    Pans Labyrinth
    Rocky
    Psycho
    The Birds
    Empire of the Sun
    The Machinist

and

Shutter Island - hadn't read the book but I thought it was excellent, if a little weird

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

El secreto de sus ojos (The Secret in their Eyes) - A great film tbh, well worth a viewing. Big fan of the washed out colours, lack of all the glitz and glamour of movies, just gritty cinema. Loved it. Suppose I could mention it got the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar this year too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 tough_cookie

watched 3 good movies this week Fatal Attraction, Crash and Snatch

watched 3 good movies this week Fatal Attraction, Crash and Snatch
    Is that the new 'crash'? you should watch David cronenberg's version...brilliant

• Advertisement

Highly recommend this film..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PZkXgk4hZM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

watched
    patriot
    crash
    hurt locker

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Where the wild things are: It just wasn't good. A sad case where being too true to the original literary work doesn't pay off.

Un prophète: Scarface meets The Godfather meets Felon... astoundingly good.

9: Doesn't really have much depth or plot but it's watchable. It's also relatively short, but not shorter than it should of been.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

Shutter Island I thought it was very good. Kept me interested the whole way through and was done very well. Really liked the last thing Leonardo DiCaprio said.

Very big spoliers below. Don't read if you haven't seen it.
    Only thing is though is that it's basically a cross between Identity and The Number 23. Still good though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Watched The Fourth Kind, didnt really like the way it was filmed but the story was interesting enough & it did make me jump out of my skin at one point when I wasnt expecting it so kudos for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Green Zone, decent enough show, (more political that action just in case you go expecting things to blow up every 2 seconds,) i think its one of the more truthfull films about how the war in iraq started,

8 out of 10 for me

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

Shutter Island - really enjoyed it! kept me interested throughout and you could had the Scorsese feel throughout the movie!

definetely worth a watch

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The Hurt Locker - pretty good film, IMO.

Sleepers - it was OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The Hurt Locker: I thought almost everything about it was amazing, except for the last minute, which completely felt out of place. Felt like an ending to a Micheal Bay film.

mudokon wrote: »
    Watched The Fourth Kind, didnt really like the way it was filmed but the story was interesting enough & it did make me jump out of my skin at one point when I wasnt expecting it so kudos for that.
    :(Each to there own but This was a really bad movie..and there's no getting away from that, my dog can make me jump if she hears the postman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

L31mr0d wrote: »
    Yes well guys like you said "Any film with fighting Robots that Transform cannot be described as dull ffs.", or "more Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies, that's not a bad thing ffs"... and frankly both of those ships have sailed.

I don't care if it's Nazi Zombies or Clones of Chuck Norris riding bareback on Ninja Raptors the first half of that film was incredibly dull and the second half was laughable bad, so bad.

I Love you man. Loved that movie. You know those irritating people on plane journeys who are watching some movie on their laptop and laughing out loud, yeah well that was myself and the missus watching that movie.

"projectile vomiting... that's a real thing! did you know that?" :D

I recently saw Dead Snow and have to say it was just brilliant - not just your average run of the mill Zombie - but Nazi Zombies, great fun, great gore.. 8/10

I was also unfortunate to see 'I love you man' and its amazing the way peoples opionons differ as I didn't laugh once and found it incredibly dull. Which was a shame as I was looking forward to seeing it. 2/10

• Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Shutter Island Good movie. Was a little annoyed that I saw the ending coming a mile away.

Milk Great movie, Sean Penn gives a great performance in it.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

'Hachiko: A Dog Story' - truly moving stuff!

Not "artificial-moving" like 'Marley and Me'.. had a lump in my throat. Any dog owner will!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Chloe:
    Good movie without being great. Julianne Moore & the young blond actress were good, Neeson kind of phoned it in.
    Not as clever or as thrilling as it could have been. A good 6/10 though

Watchmen
    I had no idea about this before seeing it on Sky on saturday.
    I really enjoyed it. It was long but i got the feeling there was more there.
    Loved the visual feel of the alternate timeline.

The happening
    Watched this on sunday morning. I got the feeling that somewhere in there there was a good movie. let down by a truely awfull script & that Zooey doop-de-doo woman.
    Read about it on Wikipedia, M.Night said he was trying to make a B movie.
    If that was so he could have saved some of the $48 million he spent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Mao's Last Dancer.

A superb film.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

basquille wrote: »

Yes. The adult dog put in a great performance:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

Re-Animator, Gotta love 80's horror movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

basquille wrote: »

Not "artificial-moving" like 'Marley and Me'.. had a lump in my throat. Any dog owner will!

Is this out on DVD - or did you see it in the cinema?, can't find any trace of it in either format!..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yes. The adult dog put in a great performance:D
    Yep.. and unlike Richard Gere, he didn't chew the scenery! :D
    trustno1 wrote: »
    Is this out on DVD - or did you see it in the cinema?, can't find any trace of it in either format!..
    http://www.amazon.com/Hachi-Dogs-Tale-Richard-Gere/dp/B0031RAOVY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1268667260&sr=8-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Triangle

On the face of it, it is presented as a typical Killer on the loose kind of film but about half way through you can see that there is something a lot, lot deeper that the director trying to present here.

He used this typical tired format of a group of good looking people getting chased by a deranged killer as a platform for this head teaser of a film.

Id recommend it, but expect to scratch your head a bit. I had it figured out within about 15 mins but still cant fully understand it. Re-watch necassary.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement