Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

trustno1 wrote: »
    not just your average run of the mill Zombie - but Nazi Zombies, great fun, great gore.. 8/10

No no no... it is just your average run of the mill Zombie film. The Zombies just happen to be dead Nazis. This doesn't make them any less of a Zombie, in fact you could completely remove the Nazi angle and the film would play out exactly the same.

This film epitomizes for me what is wrong with Zombie horror atm. Instead of innovating and providing a fresh and original twist on the Zombie genre (see [rec] or Shawn of the Dead) they just take the tired, trite and clichéd formula for a Zombie flick and cover up it's blatant unoriginality by mashing it together with some pop-culture (coming next year, Pirate Zombies... "Dead Sand", to be followed by Ninja Zombies... "Dead Rice")

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dracula (1931). I loved the madness of Renfield! Tonight...The Harder They Fall.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

watchmen , , it was like sin city , x men and doctor strangelove all rolled into one , didnt like it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

(500) Days of Summer. I really relish the experience of watching anything that breaks the cursed Hollywood formula and original romantic comedies are far and few between. I had today off work so I watched this at 10am; it was heavenly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Ruu wrote: »
    Dracula (1931). I loved the madness of Renfield! Tonight...The Harder They Fall.:)

Bela Lugosi is awesome! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Not for the faint hearted or squeamish, in parts. A bit long and the subtitles are hard going (but you'll get used to them). Overall I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I'd want to see it again on DVD or TV.

Go see it before the American remake arrives because you know they'll make a balls of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

L31mr0d wrote: »
    No no no... it is just your average run of the mill Zombie film. The Zombies just happen to be dead Nazis. This doesn't make them any less of a Zombie, in fact you could completely remove the Nazi angle and the film would play out exactly the same.

This film epitomizes for me what is wrong with Zombie horror atm. Instead of innovating and providing a fresh and original twist on the Zombie genre (see [rec] or Shawn of the Dead) they just take the tired, trite and clichéd formula for a Zombie flick and cover up it's blatant unoriginality by mashing it together with some pop-culture (coming next year, Pirate Zombies... "Dead Sand", to be followed by Ninja Zombies... "Dead Rice")

For me it was a hugely fun film and the best Zombie film I have seen in a while, it was fun, original (haven't seen any a) Nazi Zomibe films before or b) any Zombie films set in the snow) and hugely enjoyable... dying to see 'Dead Sand' and 'Dead Rice' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

The Informant!

Matt Damon stars in this apparently true story about an employee of a fortune 500 company who turns informant for the FBI about price fixing with other similar companies. Starts pretty slow but gets better as it goes on. Damon plays the character well and comes across as kinda naive (especially for someone in a VP position) but well intentioned. As the film develops we learn more and more about Damon's character and the FBI get more and more frustrated with him.

Good not great film with some funny moments...

"double 0-14" "why double 0-14?" "cos I'm twice as smart as double 0-7"

6.5\10

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Slammin' Salmon - starts off slow, but soon enough i was laughing my head off throughout the film. There was one brilliant moment of black humour towards the end of this movie that had me in stiches.

Also, Michael Clarke Duncan was brilliant in this movie.

La teta asustada/The Milk of Sorrow - the pace is slow throughout, furthermore the story is not compelling because the film lacks real character development in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

Cape Fear
    On a real De Niro buzz at the moment so went looking for this one..
    Hadn't seen it since 1991 when it came out so a little nugget for Paddy's Day..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

QDog10 wrote: »
    Cape Fear
    On a real De Niro buzz at the moment so went looking for this one..
    Hadn't seen it since 1991 when it came out so a little nugget for Paddy's Day..
    The original of this film is brilliant:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

not sure if its been talked about already but i saw the fourth kind last night,
    i wasnt expecting a classic but god it was awful
    the so called "real footage" was awful
    loads of things just didnt make sense

any one else see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

SUNGOD wrote: »

any one else see it?
    yeah..awful

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

SUNGOD wrote: »

any one else see it?

Couldn't agree more, although I heard the film wasn't great. The film was slow, boring, cut between two film segments -which kept telling you that mila jovovich's part was fake- and was an overall crap film. Why would she keep hypnotising/regressing people if she knew she was going to make them crazy? Did she ever care for her kids? What a selfish bitch!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

The Hurt Locker - Decent, bit overrated though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

The Notebook - I've seen it before and I'll definitely see it again. I just really like this film despite the fact that I cry when I watch it. :o

They - Was good but much preferred the alternate ending that was on the DVD extras.

Girl, Interrupted - Really liked this. Angelina Jolie is really really good in it. My only problem was Jared Leto wasn't it in enough! :P

Muriel's Wedding - Was ok. Bit of a strange one but Toni Collette is good in it.

American History X - Really like this. Some scenes are still in my head and I watched it about 3 weeks ago. If you've seen it you'll know I'm talking about
    the curb stamp - that really makes me feel queasy
    the rape scene
    and
    the ending where the younger brother is murdered and Edward Norton's character finds him in the school bathroom

Antichrist - Have to say I was half asleep watching it but I didn't like it. Had that 'WTF?' feeling when I was finished watching it. Might watch it again to see if it was just tiredness that gave me that feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zombieland

Thought this was really good. Not as funny as Shaun of the Dead, but still definitely worth a watch. Funny, entertaining, rewatchable... what more could you ask for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

The Fourth Kind (2009)

Film about alien abduction....not very good really. Don't even know what to say about it only Mila Jocivich (wrong spelling) is in it along with some dude who looks reallly like Robert De Niro.

The Descent: Part 2 (2009)

I really enjoyed the first one when it came out, thought it was one of the best horror films in the past few years. Saw it in the cinema too which really aded tension and feeling of claustrophobia. This sequel however, just redoes the first film except with some extra gore...i can't say much in case people read this who haven't seen the first film so all i'll say is if you were trapped underground with scary lookin monsters with pointy ears who eat people, would you go back there again within...lets say...A DAY OR TWO!!!

Hmm...interesting, neither would I :eek:

Leaves of Grass - Good film. Edward Norton was great in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Saw The Dark Knight for the first time last night, on DVD: possibly the last person on this planet to do so. A bit overwhelming - I'll have to watch it again, but first I have the Extras. Now I can go and read the 622-post thread on the film. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Cash - A solid performance from Sean Bean. An ok film really.

Triage - Colin Farrell was very good in this. A good movie overall, but some scenes were not as good as they could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Paranormal Activity - scared the crap out of me but then I believe in all that stuff. Amazing what you can do with a very small budget and some clever little camera tricks. The scenes in between the "night mode" were a bit annoying esp her annoying boyf who insists on provoking something he knows feck all about, like he's going on some U.S military mission, saying some really cheesy "nobody messes with my Girl" crap in the process...

New Moon - won't say too much on this one as I'll be eaten alive but suffice to say, the books are my guilty pleasure. This just didn't do much for me. Felt a bit too grown up for it! My OH like the werewolves in it tho. Best thing I think about the films is the music. Preferred Carter Burwell's score on Twilight but both films have used Thom Yorke/Radiohead and really appreciating his stuff again..

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

A serious man.
    Just a bit too disconnected for me. Love most of the Coen brothers stuff so I get where it's coming from. I guess there just weren't any likable characters really. Nothing to hold it together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

zombieland

Crazy fun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

watchmen, id give it 7 out of 10.. worth a watch, could have been alot better

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The Crazies - Wow the best straight horror type flik I've seen in years.

Shutter Island - Big let down for me. Was so looking forward to this one. Figured out what was going on pretty early on, after that it was a chore to the end.

The Pacific - Another big let down. I really cant put my finger on why I didn't like it. I suppose I was expecting a 2nd Band of Brothers. This feels very different.

Brooklands Finest - Good Cop/Bad Cop. Strange that it's basically 3 separate unrelated story lines that end in the same location but it worked. Had me gripped to the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

Batman. I didn't think that i would have liked it, but i did! it was very good. didn't really watch it from the start though, so ill have to watch it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The Road

I won't say much about it, but simply that this is one of the greatest films I've seen in years.

Utterly devastating and grim beyond belief. But, all the better for it. It one of the most serious films that I can recall ever seeing.

It's rare for me, but there isn't a single thing wrong with this film that I can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Survival of the dead, it's another one of George A. Romeros Zombie films and he's really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. This film is god awful, it's all over the place, the plot is just terrible, it's full of all kinds of holes that just make you want to beat up your tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The eclipse: Very good Irish film. A medley of a love triangle drama and a ghost story. Well told and acted. Definitely worth a watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement