Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

ScumLord wrote: »
    Survival of the dead, it's another one of George A. Romeros Zombie films and he's really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. This film is god awful, it's all over the place, the plot is just terrible, it's full of all kinds of holes that just make you want to beat up your tv.

Agreed 100%.

Absolutely terrible film. I was disapointed with 'Diary of the Dead', but this is even worse.

Terrible writing, terrible acting, terrible plot, terrible accents, terrible and unconvincing set pieces.

I can't believe that this was from the same man that made 'Day of the Dead'. :eek:

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Shutter Island.
    Not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Watched 'The Harder They Fall' (Bogarts final film :(), a fine role in the end of his career though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

The Box - the bollox more like, pure crap!

Without A Paddle - decent enough.

Sex Drive - had some decent moments but very formulaic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada on BBC last night.

It had Tommy Lee Jones playing a lead character which wasn't all that dissimilar to the one he played in No Country No For Old Men, and it had a similar setting and theme (West Texas/Mexican border and violent death).

Very slow paced but I thoroughly enjoyed it, then again I am a fan of Jones as it is. He does the whole jaded Texan thing really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

fluke wrote: »
    The Box - the bollox more like

:D ROFL

Jesus, it started out pretty good then just completely went to ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

fluke wrote: »
    The Box - the bollox more like

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!! had a good laugh to that one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

The Way of the Gun - This some how flew under my radar back in 2000. Finally got around to watching it. It's good, but has one helluva gun fight that needs to be seen. Up there with Heat imo (definitely in my Top 5 movie gun fights). Best part for me personally though was
    Sarah Silverman getting punched in the face
    :p reason alone to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Watched The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada on BBC last night.

It had Tommy Lee Jones playing a lead character which wasn't all that dissimilar to the one he played in No Country No For Old Men, and it had a similar setting and theme (West Texas/Mexican border and violent death).

Very slow paced but I thoroughly enjoyed it, then again I am a fan of Jones as it is. He does the whole jaded Texan thing really well.

Yeah very good film but didn't really receive the recognition it deserved (cost $15m but only took in $9). Has been a while since I've put it on but I'll go back to it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Case 39 (2009)

Run of the mill horror that is not very good at all...Rene Zellweger has her first try at a horror in a good few years as far as I can remember, however she won't be remembered in this. Ian McShane also co-stars but doesn't have a big role.

Basic plot - A kind hearted social worker develops a soft spot for a young girl who seems to be neglected\abused by her distressed parents and sets about taking her under her wing...but all it not what it seems (queue dramatic music..de-de-deaa)

Another horror that disappoints and leaves me wishing they would have stopped at case 38 (see what I did there :rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Zonad.

Some funny bits but mostly meh!

The girl who plays the daughter in it could play Gwyneth Paltrow in a bio pic though, very nice indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Corcs001

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Been meaning to watch this for ages. Great movie I thought. Jim Carrey is excellent in it. I find Kirsten Dunst so annoying though.

Sunshine. Great movie although the last half hour it loses its way a little imo. I love the whole atmosphere the film has in the beginning.

The Box. Started off interesting. Ended up being complete rubbish.

Shutter Island. Not bad. Saw the ending coming after about 20 minutes though and I was hoping it didn't end up like it did but it was handled well I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭PatsyStone

Three Kings is on the telly tonight. Is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 baawhoosh

PatsyStone wrote: »
    Three Kings is on the telly tonight. Is it any good?

I liked it, bit of a caper.

I just watched Sweeney Todd. Despite the fact i dont really like musicals i thought i might as well since it got such great reviews but its a bit over-rated really in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Corcs001 wrote: »
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Been meaning to watch this for ages. Great movie I thought. Jim Carrey is excellent in it. I find Kirsten Dunst so annoying though.

Thanks for reminding me, I watched yes man last night (entertaining enough) and had a hankering to watch that again, but completely forgot about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Would recommend "THEM".. bought it in HMV really cheap

French film but only a small bit of dialogue subtitled at the beginning and the end - the middle is just one hell of a scare..

Basically similar to the plot of The Strangers (Liv Tyler)- a couple who have moved into an old house (in the middle of a forest of course:rolleyes:) begin to hear things go bump in the night.....

The end was harrowing, very afraid to move to the countryside now...

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭blue movie

I watched "I went down" last week had to order it from hmv and pay a little extra for it but well worth it.

Great Comedy/Gangster film starring brendan gleeson an oldie but a goodie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Greatest - a little sugary, but not bad.

My name is Khan - a good film

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

Watched Three Kings last night..
    A good flick about the Iraqi War back in 1991 and a group of 4 US Soldiers who go looking to steal back Kuwaiti Gold held by Sadaam's army...
    Excellent film with a decent cast.
    Well worth a watch if you missed it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Basically similar to the plot of The Strangers

Remakes generally are.
    ;)
    I agree that it is a great movie though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Taste of Fear 1961 (aka Scream of Fear). Hammer Studios.

This "minor" entry in the Hammer canon is actually rather good, no vampires or indeed any supernatural/trad horror elements. This is really a thriller based around confinement and deceit. Well worth seeing if you are an aficionado of the studio and films with a genuine twist (this has two, the first you might spot, the second you won't and its a doozy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 itsbillythehick

I laughed my head off watching Zonad. You'll have a hard time convincing me it wasn't funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Remakes generally are.
    ;)
    I agree that it is a great movie though.

Crikey, didn't realise it was a remake, thanks for that.. Thought there were parallels alright but the French version was much more sinister and was actually based on a real case.. I mean did you honestly think
    a little kid could be so God damn evil
    !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

The Strangers falls into the rip off category more really. The makers claim that the director had the concept two years before Ils, based on something that happened to him as a child but to be honest my opinion is it was a slightly similar film until Ils came out and they lifted from it what they wanted. I thought Ils was horribly overrated though so The Strangers wins out for me!

Anyway, watched Fantastic Mister Fox recently, meh. Stop motion is still simply art at it's greatest form and Clooney is some of the most spot on casting I've ever seen but I think Anderson overdid his kooky thing a bit too much herre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Untouchables. Great turns from Connery, Costner and de Niro to elevate this above your average gangster flick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I re watched Armageddon on tv tongiht, you know what, it aint as bad as it gets stick for

tear in the eye at the end i must admit

Harry is da man

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

niallon wrote: »
    The Strangers falls into the rip off category more really. The makers claim that the director had the concept two years before Ils, based on something that happened to him as a child but to be honest my opinion is it was a slightly similar film until Ils came out and they lifted from it what they wanted. I thought Ils was horribly overrated though so The Strangers wins out for me!
    I have to agree..

.. Ils wasn't spooky, sinister or unsettling at all. I kept waiting for some genuine scares and all we kept getting was these strange noises from outside the door / the next room or outside the house.

I enjoyed The Strangers much more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

preferred Ils myself, much more atmospheric imo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Accidental Hero - Back when I first watched it I thought it was a meh but im in a Dustin Hoffman phase and I now believe this film is very under-rated. I love the performance of Hoffman and Garcia. The struggle with Bernie to accept his feeligns for Gale and the responsibilty for being the real Hero. Its quirky and sweet. I liked it with a more mature viewing.

The Warriors - Epic hostile urban movie. Felt enthralled with the dark undercurrents in the city adn the feelings in the gangs. The uneasy, macho, cowardly,eccentric and also coolness mix of characters and personalities clash in everyway across the screen. Cant recommend this enough as a MUST watch for everybody.

• Advertisement

In recents days I've watched:

Dead Man Running: Entertaining Danny Dyer flick. The late 90s Lock, Stock overtones are there but overall it impresses and Dyer is on good form. Entertaining but hardly original.

Armored: Decent heist film with some great performances from some truly underappreciated actors. Again not the most original film ever but it's entertaining as hell.

Men of War: Dolph Lundgren classic with a script by John Sayles. I'm surprised that no one has compared Avatar it to Avatar as the plot is similar. A great supporting cast, some gorgeous scenery and fantastic action sequences, what more could you ask for.

Sukiyaki Western Django: Tarantino gives one of the worst performances in history but the rest of the madness on offer manages to save what is a rather entertaining film.

The Interceptor: Utterly bonkers Russian sci fi with a plot defecit. Some gorgeous visuals but the overall effect is of watching a film missing the first 30 or so minutes.

Alice in Wonderland: Rather poor attempt by Burton to expand the Alice mythos. It's like watching the middle part of a trilogy having missed part one. For me the biggest thing was seeing my friends name in the credits above that of Johnny Depp. Visually gorgeous but with redundant 3D, some flat performances and a lack struck script.

The Ladykillers: The Coen brothers biggest misfire to date. It's not a patch on the original and overall left me cold. the cast tries hard but overall it's an unrewarding experience.

The Krays: Chilling performances from the Kemp brothers in the first cockney gangster film. The story is a little loose but there are enough moments of greatness to redeem it.

Waist Deep: One of the great modern ghetto action film. Tyrese Gibson is great as he rushes around busting heads, robbing banks and causing all manner of mayhem in order to save his son.

Already Dead: One of the tautest, most suspenseful opening acts in years leads into a rather less entertaining cat and mouse thriller. Til Schweiger is impressive as ever and Ron Eldard is equally good. Well worth a watch.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement