Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

In recents days I've watched:

The Krays: Chilling performances from the Kemp brothers in the first cockney gangster film. The story is a little loose but there are enough moments of greatness to redeem it.

Ive been tempted.... really?

Ive been tempted.... really?

It's a fantastic little film and the Kemp brothers really do impress. It's one of those rare films which really could have done with another hour in which to tell the story. I picked it up in Tesco for 3 euro and for that price you can't go wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Hocus Pocus :D
    Hadn't seen it since I was about eight, nice to see it again, even if it is pure cheese!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

hancock , possibley the most incoherent script ive ever seen , awfull , made seven pounds look like seven samuari

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Hocus Pocus :D
    Hadn't seen it since I was about eight, nice to see it again, even if it is pure cheese!

ah Hocus Pocus:D i still have affection for this film because it was my first time seeing the yummy Vinessa Shaw on screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Robocop trilogy on Sky ScFi/Horror WOOO!!! Get me club rockshandy and doritos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Shutter Island, really enjoyed it. Leo impresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Watched Dark City, excellent sci-fi film, very dark. I don't know what reception it got but I think it deserves to be up there with other sci-fi classics.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Ruu wrote: »
    Watched Dark City, excellent sci-fi film, very dark. I don't know what reception it got but I think it deserves to be up there with other sci-fi classics.

That movie is like the matrix before the matrix was made. Really interesting, dark. Kiefer was a bit of a stretch but I love that film. Funnily enough I just re-watched it last week :D

Ruu wrote: »

Please tell me you watched the superb directors cut which is a step above the excellent theatrical cut. Easily one of my all time favourites its a film which gets better with each viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭QDog10

Watched Felon last night on Channel 5.
    Give it a 7.5/10
    One of the better Prison movies. Plenty of violence if your into that and a decent script to go along with it.
    Val Kilmer and Stephen Dorff star in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

Watched Blazing Saddles for the first time the other day. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Often wondered what do they do all day up in Leinster house?

242xwqs.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

This week, I watched 3 movies that I had regrettably missed in 2009.

The Wrestler was amazing. Terribly sad and evocative. Great performance, great ending and made me feel like crap! :)

(500) Days Of Summer swore at the start that it wasn't a love-story. I didn't believe it. I was wrong. It was great! Made me feel great and crap; made me laugh and (want to) cry. Excellently written, directed and acted.

District 9 doesn't need any praise. If you haven't seen it, please do. One of the best films I've ever seen for so many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Watched Blazing Saddles for the first time the other day. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Same here - they dont make them like they used to

Send down some horses to check the quick sand....horse's , dont waste horses, send down some ..........

classic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

The Warriors - Epic hostile urban movie. Felt enthralled with the dark undercurrents in the city adn the feelings in the gangs. The uneasy, macho, cowardly,eccentric and also coolness mix of characters and personalities clash in everyway across the screen. Cant recommend this enough as a MUST watch for everybody.

Lots of it shouldn't work - the orphans, the roller-skater, the leather waistcoats... it could all have been so cheesy, saved by the director I guess. Great flic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Push: Actually quite enjoyable. Didn't expect too much but, it was decent.
    The Triad lads had me in tears when I saw their ability first, just the expression on their faces!

Beautiful Kate - a bleak, unsettling and well made drama

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Watched Life of Brian the other day for the first time in years,seems to just get better as I get older! Eminently quotable too :)

Watched Robin Hood as well, the Disney version, on video taped off the TV. Watching the old ads from the early 90s was as interesting as the film, much more straightforward times! I miss the old Black and Decker ads.....and the proper Ronseal ones!!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

basquille wrote: »
    I have to agree..

.. Ils wasn't spooky, sinister or unsettling at all. I kept waiting for some genuine scares and all we kept getting was these strange noises from outside the door / the next room or outside the house.

I enjoyed The Strangers much more!

Maybe for me it's just too hard to not think of Liv Tyler as anyone other than Arwen.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

I watched the Watchmen - Haven't read the book to know how good an adaptation it was but I understand the Rorshach flashback is different and the ending. I just found it meh. Apart from Bob Dylan at the start, it felt like the soundtrack was all over the place.

MirrorMask - Co-written by Neil Gaiman and directed by the other writer Dave McKean. One of those movies you have to just go along with and not question its rules really.

Girl wants to run away from the circus and join real life, gets transported to an out of balance dream (or something) version of her half black/dark, half white/light wall of drawings where everyone's face is a mask: "How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask?"

Also rewatched Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I still like it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The Salton Sea

Fantastic stuff, might have to watch the end of it again though as it all got a bit muddles thanks to a pizza delivery:o

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Just watched District 9. Very good. Better than I thought it would be. It's far from perfect but I enjoyed the style of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Star Trek: Never was a fan of it before programmes or films but the new one was great very entertaining.

Commando,running man and terminator 2 : We had an arnie marathon the mans a legend king of the one liners, switch the brain off kick back and enjoy.

Brothers - not great at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Pandorum - I have to say, this was excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Sherlock Holmes - I heard alot of bad things about it, but I enjoyed it. Just a good popcorn movie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just finished [rec], alone in my room at night.
    it was very good, pretty damn scary up until the last minute.. i thought the way the hot reporter chick died was cheesy as ****. Up until that point i was dreading going to sleep tonight but as soon as she was dragged from under the bed away from the camera I just thought 'meh'. Granted it was probably as good an ending as a movie like that can give you, but I dunno... it kinda ruined things for me.

it certainly felt a lot longer than it actually was, in a good way. Can anyone direct me to a thread on [rec]? I've tried searching the forum, but the god damn search won't let me search for something that's only 3 characters long.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Can anyone direct me to a thread on [rec]? I've tried searching the forum, but the god damn search won't let me search for something that's only 3 characters long.
    There ya go!

The sequel is worth watching.. not nearly as good as the first but it's almost like the 'Aliens' to 'Alien' (the sequel is more action-orientated than horror). I was a bit disappointed overall but at least it's something a bit different!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

muchos spankos senor

--edit

apparently rec3 is out next year... they're really planning on milking this for all it's worth

--edit2

just flicked through the american remake. dear god.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Carlitos Way was on earlier.
    Can't make my mind up about this film- good acting as usual from Al Pacino and Sean Penn is savage.
    Buts its a bit OTT melodramatic in parts ala GF3: pacino standing in the rain looking at his ballerina missus through the window etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement