Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

2012 - What the fúck was Emmerich thinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The Men Who Stare at Goats - I really enjoyed this, in fact I loved it. After all the negative reviews I was expecting a mediocre comedy but found a rewarding film with some superb performances.

Thought Ewan McGregor was shown up a lot though. He was annoying toward the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Zombieland and I thoroughly enjoyed it,was great fun.
    Plus the cameo from Murray was just outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

irishh_bob wrote: »
    i love you man , pretty crap i thought considering the good reviews

It was better than I expected. Thought it would be some kind of 40-Year-Old Virgin variation of The Cable Guy.

Comedies really need to start getting endings that aren't clichéd. I was surprised when I saw The Break-Up and
    the couple actually stayed apart at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Cirque Du Freak: The Vampires Assistant - Pretty much what I expected. Nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Stinicker wrote: »
    I saw Clash of the Titans in 3D this evening and it was very impressive, the special effects, scenery and general plot were all good. A very good movie, especially for those interested in History and has a fantasy and epic battle theme to it also.

Haven't seen it yet, but isn't it all based on mythology, not history?
    Looking forward to seeing it after God of War III reignited my love for Greek mythology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

2012 - What the fúck was Emmerich thinking?

when has that guy ever made a good movie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

stargate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

tman wrote: »
    Haven't seen it yet, but isn't it all based on mythology, not history?
    Looking forward to seeing it after God of War III reignited my love for Greek mythology

Yes it is based on Mythology but because of this it gives an insight into ancient Greece historically with the sets etc. There are scenes which reminded me of the siege of Minas Tirith in LOTR3 and of lord Voldemort in Harry Potter (Ralph Fiennes) who portrays Hades in the film was also lord Voldemort.

Good Film and not overlly adorned with 3D either as 3D was more a last minute decision than the plan from the outset, it only cost $70million to make and filming commenced less than a year ago. The backdrops portrayed in the film are stunning though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

stargate?

The Patriot wasn't too bad, either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Poseidon - Time filler
    Shutter Island - Atmospheric but underwhelming
    Legion - Tripe
    Kick Ass - Awesome!!!!

Stinicker wrote: »
    Yes it is based on Mythology but because of this it gives an insight into ancient Greece historically with the sets etc.

Sitill not too sure I agree with that tbh, I doubt they went out of their way to be historically accurate for a fantasy film... Can't exactly see it ever being used in history class as an example of life in pre-Christian Greece

Anyway, I'm dragging this waaaaay off topic;

Last night I watched Bladerunner (Final cut)
    A truely timeless film, and definitely up there with Oldboy as one of my doubtless favourites. It scrubbed up nicely for HD as well!
    About the only part that took away from my enjoyment and broke the immersion was the blatently 80s hair of some of the female characters.

After that I felt like a bit of braindead entertainment, so finally got around to watching Blade Trinity... Really wish I hadn't now:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

clash of the titans, saw it 3D save your money,

thought it was rather like LOTR part 1, the action was good, but iw as expecting more of an epic final battle, like the end of LOTR 1, youd almost think there was more to come from the story,

i think you should see it, the pacing is very good so the story is always moving, the 3D is tripe and non existent, and TBF makes everything darker, (the one negative about seeing avatar this way)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

my withnail and I blu ray arrived earlier today and it's just ending :) ****ing fantastic movie
    looks and sounds damned fine in HD too, this one is going to be many's a rewatch

Always found the ending to that film terribly sad. Withnail's "Hamlet" monologue is the finest moment in the film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, i was saying that while i was watching it. When 'I' cuts his hair, you know everything's changed. Think I'll watch it again tonight after the pub :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Universal Soldier?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

just waatched the international i thought it was just a terrible film did not like it one bit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Zombieland. Good in parts but feels like abit of a missed opportunity too. If they had gotten more laughs from the zombie killing and given less time to the predictable romance, it would have been alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Earlier: watched the Disney / Pixar film Cars on TV. Not quite what I was expecting: NASCAR-type racing at the beginning and end, but the middle of the movie is basically Doc Hollywood with cars as characters. City bigshot lands in a small town, gets arrested and sentenced to community service, catches the eye of a local lady, and learns to love the small town life.

Later this evening: finally saw No Country For Old Men. After the way it was built up in the press, I was slightly underwhelmed, and don't think it's the Coen Brothers' best work, not when compared to Fargo or A Serious Man. Which means that it's merely excellent. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Gone on an Easter weekend binge of great films.

So far I have watched The Godfather, Raging Bull, Casablanca and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Nice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Watched Harry Brown earlier. It wasn't as dark as I was led to believe. It was good though. Anything with Michael Caine usually is. More or less it's to do with a pensioner living in an estate having to deal with violent youths.
    It has similar themes to Death Sentence, a fantastic film I also watched quite recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Heat is on again on BBC2, this time on my surround sound at last!

Yeah! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Watched Pulp Fiction last night with 3 of my friends, one of whom had never seen it before... We were all enthralled by the movie, despite having seen it so many times before. After the film concluded, we asked the other person what they thought...

"Meh, was ok. Didn't understand the structure. Wasn't that good."

Amazingly, none of us murdered her...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Watched Final Destination 4 last night just for something "easy on the brain" to watch.. it was so over the top stupid and predictable we laughed our way through it.. There's an hour and 10 mins of my life I won't get back:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

stargate?

Love that film

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Heat is on again on BBC2, this time on my surround sound at last!

Yeah! :cool:

Wouldn't that only be broadcast in pro-logic at best though?
    Get it on DVD or better yet Bluray you cheapskate!;)

Watched the first half of Highlander the other day... I just couldn't handle the awesomeness of it any more and had to save the rest for another night.
    Pretty poor HD transfer unfortunately (compared to the impeccably restored Bladerunner, anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

Last film I saw in cinema was Remember Me on Saturday which was excellent & am def going to see it again.

Last night rewatched Little Miss Sunshine - such a great film.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The People Under the Stairs

Rubbish.

Kiss Me Deadly

Brilliant.

End of review.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Up in the Air - great movie. loved clooney and vera farmiga, they were great on screen together. looks like a rom-com and if that put you off honestly give it a shot is a great movie

Ninja Assassain - really silly and violent and deliciously cheesey. loved it. highly recommended. and has one of the best on screen kisses i've seen in ages!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Primer

Short enough film (About 1hr 15mins). Pretty good yarn about some smart guys who invent a kinda time machine and how their relationship strains as they use it and also trying to make sure that nothing is changed when they go back...very confusing, would probably need a couple of views.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement