Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

Kess73 wrote: »
    Watched Pandorum tonight. Had heard bad things about it, but with Foster and Quaid onboard I figured it would be watchable.

Turned out to be better than expected despite a telegraphed ending, and could not shake the feeling that it tipped it's hat to The Time Machine, both the H G Wells novel and the 1960 film based upon that novel.

Tomorrow night I will be watching The Descent 2, a film which ironically has something in common with both the aforementioned H G Wells novel and Pandorum, well it should do based on the first Descent film anyway. :)

I watched Pandorum a while back with similar reservations. I love Ben Foster and I think he's hugely under rated.I enjoyed the film much more than I expected despite the ending.One of the better imaginations of aliens I have seen in films. Pandorum and 2012 both had similar negative racial stereotypes I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    I really liked Brothers, felt Toby Maguire gave a great performance in it.

Anyone I talk to about it thought it was a stinker though.
    Maybe it's my liking of Jim Sheridan films that swayed me,
    certainly underrated anyway.

The performances from the children were very convincing as well,
    it's very rare that actual good performances come from children.
    I generally find that the majority of child performances look like the children are acting,
    as opposed to them actually being convincing as the characters.

Brothers was a great film and I found that more than once throughout the film I was close to tears.However, despite his Golden Globe nomination (I might be wrong on this) Toby Maguire was rubbish in this.There was one point during his scenes in Afghanistan (don't want to give too much away) where I thought his performance was almost comical given what the scenes called for. In general,I found his performance in the film was uncomfortable and not in a way that was relevant for the character.On the other hand,Gyllenhaal has received much less critical acclaim for the film and as far as I'm concerned gave a much stronger performance. Natalie Portman was also fantastic and the scenes between her and Gylenhaal made the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

Saw Clash of the Titans. Awful movie, all of us were depressed from it, and we're people that usually worship fantasy movies, and we all did Classical Studies. The action is good, but there was no depth or story to it. Perseus swims, gets trapped, swims backs up and starts killing people, Liam Neeson yells "RELEASE THE KRAKEN!", then Perseus swims some more. That's the whole movie for ya folks!

I did enjoy seeing Tony and Effy from Skins in it though, reminded how awesome that series was and how awful this movie is in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

'kick ass', great movie really funny

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

American History X.

Damn good film. Would highly recommend it to anyone remotely interested in racial rivalry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Jacobs Ladder - Did not hold up at all for me though Robbins was excellent.
    Dawn of the dead remake - Good fun.
    Nomads - Pretty good but terrible soundtrack!
    Last Action Hero - Enjoyed it. Well played McTiernan
    Monster - Amazing and horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hairyleprechaun

kieran26 wrote: »
    'kick ass', great movie really funny

Saw it Friday, thought it was good too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

L.A. Confidential - Absolutely brilliant. One of the films of the nineties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Watched a few movies last night with some friends:

Momma Mia
    Dirty Sanchez: The Movie
    Infernal Affairs
    Der Baader Meinhof Komplex

at least things improved as we went on!!!!!!!!:D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

DazMarz wrote: »
    Watched a few movies last night with some friends:

Momma Mia
    Dirty Sanchez: The Movie
    Infernal Affairs
    Der Baader Meinhof Komplex

at least things improved as we went on!!!!!!!!:D:o

What did you make of the Baader Meinhof Komplex? Although it had its flaws, I found it enjoyable enough,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the mist

quite a decent movie, turned ****ing amazing by the ending

When the dude shot everyone in the car, i was expected one last shot of the monster and then dead. But to see the fog clear and survivors start being driven out just after he killed his child... jesus that's twisted. One of the finest endings to a movie I've ever seen.

What did you make of the Baader Meinhof Komplex? Although it had its flaws, I found it enjoyable enough,

I loved it. Thought it was very good, tbh. Two friends enjoyed it too.

Also I've just watched Panic Room. While not as classic as David Fincher's other works, a very competant thriller with some good performances from Jodie Foster, Forrest Whitaker and Dwight Yoakam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

the mist

quite a decent movie, turned ****ing amazing by the ending

When the dude shot everyone in the car, i was expected one last shot of the monster and then dead. But to see the fog clear and survivors start being driven out just after he killed his child... jesus that's twisted. One of the finest endings to a movie I've ever seen.

He was
    a touch rash in killing everyone I thought! I mean the monsters were't exactly banging on the windows! I would have held out a wee while just to see!
    Brilliant ending though, fair fecks to Darabont for stickign to his guns. He wanted to release it in B&W but the studio put out the colour version. Teh B&W verision is REALLY good! :D

there's a b&w version? will have to check that out

just watched antichrist

i would say I need to lie down, but I'm already lieing down. so now I don't know what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

just watched antichrist

i would say I need to lie down, but I'm already lieing down. so now I don't know what to do.

Is it that bad? I've heard its pretty graphic in places..?

Is it that bad? I've heard its pretty graphic in places..?

it's pretty graphic in places but not really anything that would put you off eating dinner while watching it. honestly, I don't know what it was about it that disturbed me so much. I was just enjoying it as a good movie until the final chapter, then... i don't know but I still don't feel quite right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Warlock'

80's nonsense, marketed as a horror film, but it's more of a fantasy flick about a warlock going forward in time and being pursued by a witch hunter...or something. Julian Sands and Richard E. Grant are ok in it and look like they're having fun, but it's not that great a film, even with everything taken into account. Enjoyable enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

'This Sporting Life', semi-fictional account of a man's life as a professional rugby league player and the "affair" he has with his landlady...good film, falls apart in the end, wasn't really convinced by the relationship, mainly because neither character were overly likeable, but enjoyable to watch, Lindsay Anderson directed it and it's very much his sort of style.....btw, how much of a babe was Richard Harris when he was younger??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Last night I saw Fargo for the first time. Definitely not what I expected! From what I'd heard, it was a hilarious movie about the people in a small town. While that wasn't entirely off the mark, it was a lot darker than I had anticipated. Still, very enjoyable. Then I saw that it's a Coen brothers film, and it all made sense.

Oh, and the dialogue is fantastic.

• Advertisement

SeekUp wrote: »
    Last night I saw Fargo for the first time. Definitely not what I expected! From what I'd heard, it was a hilarious movie about the people in a small town. While that wasn't entirely off the mark, it was a lot darker than I had anticipated. Still, very enjoyable. Then I saw that it's a Coen brothers film, and it all made sense.

Oh, and the dialogue is fantastic.

It is quite the heroic film. One of my personal favourites, tbh. Anything by the Coen Brothers is always worth a look!!!

Just watched Infernal Affairs (again!!!)... Such a class act of a film, direct from Hong Kong. I love it.

Finished watching

-Panic Room
    -The Fugitive

thoroughly enjoyed both, tho prefer the latter. Good thrillers for anyone who likes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

Just watched Thank You For Smoking, though it was really good-original idea and great style.
    Settle in to watch A Time to Kill Now-classic!

'Lars and the Real Girl'

Odd film about a terribly shy man in a small Northern US town who decides to take matters into his own hands to sort out his problems
    and buys a life like sex doll on the internet for a relationship. In order to not send his delusion over the edge the townsfolk play along.

It's an interesting idea. It doesn't go where you think it might, but it does outstay its welcome and is a bit overlong.

All in all though, a recomended break from the usual fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Train_Man (Densha Otoko) - "Romantic comedy" adapting on the novel supposedly based on the true story of a man who meets a woman on a train and gets advice from his fellow Internet geeks. There's not a "yore ma" in sight.

Thought it was fine but towards the end started getting better. Basically a story about hope and loneliness though a little insulting to anyone using the net to talk to other people. The "socially awkward". ;) Ending goes on a bit too long aswell.

There's a couple of props from that movie I'd quite like to have: A few
    computer catalogues with handwritten annotations on post-it notes for every item

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Body of Lies - Dodgy accents from Crowe and DiCaprio aside it's a decent terrorist/war thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Just back from a free showing of Date Night and I hate to say it I actually did enjoy it. Its a good lightweight comedy and definitely will resonate more with married or couples in relationships for a while.

'It's Alive'

"There's only one thing wrong with the Davis baby...it's alive!"

Actually, there's two. It's a rubbish looking special effect.

Larry Cohen horror schlock about a mutant baby. Entertaining though, in that cheap 70's way. Made more watchable by John P. Ryan's brilliant performance.

I'm being a bit hard of the effects though, which really aren't that bad. Although, Rick Baker went onto much better things.

Recommended to fans of B-grade horror flicks.

Spawned two sequels. 'It Lives Again' and the awkwardly named 'Island of the Alive'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

The Lukas Moodysson Box set

Very good director from sweden

The best films from his first four films are his first three
    ****ing Amal- a story about two teenager girls who fall in love is a sweet tale but its really about want escape small town life.

Together- set in 70's about a hippy commune in sweden.very funny and very touching. for me his greatest film.

Lilya 4 ever- this is when he becomes tougher a tale about a girl from a ex soviet state who gets trapped in the sex trade.very touigh watch but a great film.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

OK, just finished watching The Nines, I'd never even heard of it before, and I had no idea what it was supposed to be out at all when I started watching it, didn't even know what genre it was supposed to be (I have to admit, I was sold purely on a picture of Ryan Reynolds shirtless :o)

Anyway, I really enjoyed it, and can't believe I hadn't heard about it. It covers a lot, I thought the last part was a little weak, but overall was really surprised at how it much I liked it. It's different, not startlingly original by any mark, but makes your mind work while you;re watching it. Really enjoyed the chemistry between the Reynold's character and Melissa as well. The only thing I'm still not sure about is
    is he meant to actually be god?? Or something along those lines? I mean I presume so, but then how come he is not cognisant of that fact himself? Also wherever he went in the end, I hope it was back to the beginning, that seemed like much more fun!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement