Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Pushing Tin - Great little movie, seen it before but noticed a lot more this time. Cate Blanchet (who I had no idea was even in the movie the first time round) is brilliant. Very enjoyable movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Whatever Works - pretty enjoyable comedy, Larry David great as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Mesrine

Great film!............not to be missed.

Best DVD i rented out this year.Its one for the collection and i will be buying it as soon as i can.

Vincent Cassel is brilliant!!.

http://www.mesrine-movie.co.uk/

Was in Hmv the other day on grafton and noticed that in their "deals" section it costed €24.99 and then later when looking through the foreign language section later that it was only €14.99. I asked a guy stocking shelves and he said they had just changed the prices that day.

Uninteresting anecdote i know, just a price update really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gerty wrote: »
    Was in Hmv the other day on grafton and noticed that in their "deals" section it costed €24.99 and then later when looking through the foreign language section later that it was only €14.99. I asked a guy stocking shelves and he said they had just changed the prices that day.

Uninteresting anecdote i know, just a price update really.

The Bluray is only €13.57 online!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mulholland Drive - My first David Lynch film so i had no idea what was about to hit me. I have blue velvet right(one of his earlier films) and am excited to watch that soon. My main point about this is figuring out if its a pretentious pile of **** or a complex masterpiece.

While i wouldn't call it a masterpiece, i would definitely lean towards the latter. Basically to me, it doesn't matter if Lynch was just being an ass. Even if we see meanings in it that were not Lynch's intentions. Even if he came out and rubbished many a respected Critic's interpretations. There is nothing definitive about movies. There is no mass-reviewed film on amazon that has 100% positive.

Film comes different to each individual and you should patronize or condescend someone for calling your all time favourite a pile of crap. Neither of you are wrong. You're both right to yourself.

Looking back on this post, it reads like a piece of f***.

I struggle with every on eof Lynch's films. Except for the 'Elephant Man', which is an absolute masterpiece. I like 'Blue Velvet' too, but it's overlong.

Everything else, I am in two minds about all the time and I seen all his movies more than once.

'Mullholland Drive' is no exception.

I will say one thing about it though, it has a scene in it that scared the bejesus out of me and for the life of me I don't know why. But, it's been a long, long time since I've had my pluse raised by a scene in a film.
    The scene with the tramp behind the Winkie's diner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 51,792 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

watched Gamer at the weekend.

didn't think much of it at all. lots of things in it annoyed me.
    for example why frame Butlers character for murder when you could force him to commit suicide??

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 ShayMurphy459

Breaking Bad - addictive, a bit like watching a car crash - can't take your eyes off it

Modern Family - best comedy in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Seabiscuit Great little movie. Love the bridges so this was gonna be a winner for me right off the bat and he didnt disappoint. Nice story (based on a true story I belive) and some lovely acting. Set pieces were gorgous too! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ella_enchanted

Knowing

The first half was okay but by the time they brought in the actual plot it had fallen apart.
    The end was stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Schindler's list - I did really enjoy this film. I'd never seen it in full before and i guess it is one of those you have to watch.

I though Neeson was quite good. In fact i thought all three man performances were quite good, that being Ben Kingsley and Ralph Fiennes (although its hard to see him now and not picture him in "In Bruges".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 peterdaly

Eden Lake, Awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

Schindler's list.

Class film but as factually acurate as star wars

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Ong bak the begining: Good film the fighting scenes were great, but why its called onk bak is mysyery its nothing at all to do with the 1st one nonly reason i think would be to get people to buy it since ong bak was so popular it the western world.

Forest Gump. Never gets old brilliant film. Run forest run

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Max Manus, Man of War, bought this in HMV in Belfast and thought it was an English film. I watched it on BluRay last night only to discover it was entirely in Norwegian! Still it was a great movie and was about the Norwegian Resistance to the Nazi occupation of Norway during WWII. Touching and really showed the struggle and for a subtitled film was very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Stinicker wrote: »
    Max Manus, Man of War, bought this in HMV in Belfast and thought it was an English film. I watched it on BluRay last night only to discover it was entirely in Norwegian! Still it was a great movie and was about the Norwegian Resistance to the Nazi occupation of Norway during WWII. Touching and really showed the struggle and for a subtitled film was very enjoyable.

Ive seen that its a quality film, if you thought that was good check out flame and citron linkhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0920458/ I thought it was better than max manus, or black book link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/.

Both pf them are true story of pockets of resistance during WW2 in europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

just watched sleuth with jude law and Michael cane and i thought it was a good film

kick ass- what a film 4 stars from me :)

deuce bigalo male jigalo . . . . real funny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Ive seen that its a quality film, if you thought that was good check out flame and citron linkhttp://www.imdb.com/title/tt0920458/ I thought it was better than max manus, or black book link:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/.

Both pf them are true story of pockets of resistance during WW2 in europe.

Cool, I'll check that out :), I also have Attack on Leningrad which is a russian film on BluRay to watch, I bought these two films not realising they were not English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

"City of Life and Death"

Story of the Japanese assault on Nanking in China in the late 30s, and the subsequent occupation and atrocities committed. A harrowing look at the madness of war, and how humanity is eroded throughout. Very well produced, great acting, tough subject matter with very little attempt made to sugar-coat it throughout. Hard not to draw 'Shindler's List' comparisons based on the subject matter, but this movie is really very different.

9/10, terrific movie for anyone who can stomach images of genocide, rape and general horror without it ruining their day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

beans wrote: »
    "City of Life and Death"

Story of the Japanese assault on Nanking in China in the late 30s, and the subsequent occupation and atrocities committed. A harrowing look at the madness of war, and how humanity is eroded throughout. Very well produced, great acting, tough subject matter with very little attempt made to sugar-coat it throughout. Hard not to draw 'Shindler's List' comparisons based on the subject matter, but this movie is really very different.

9/10, terrific movie for anyone who can stomach images of genocide, rape and general horror without it ruining their day.

Went to see this myself yesterday. Powerful film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Dr.X and the Return of Dr.X (Humphrey Bogart as Dr. Xavier), this is the type of horror I am a fan of. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Angel-A directed by Luc Besson. Paris is beautifully captured in B&W and the film is a good one about a down at luck con artist and the mysterious woman that helps to change his ways. Its obvious what the ending was going to be but I enjoyed the film a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World's End

Rollicking adventure with all the original cast and so on. Not as good as what went before, but still thoroughly entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just went to see Kick Ass. Lol, it's a feckin masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Sentinel'

Effective little horror flick about a woman who rents an apartment, that's owned by the Catholic Church and starts experiencing strange goings on and even stranger tennants. Strangest of all is the old priest that lives upstairs who never leaves his window. Directed by Michael Winner, it features a load of familiar faces, including Burgess Meredith, Jeff Goldblum, John Carradine, Martin Balsam, Jose Ferer, Ava Gardner, Arthur Kennedy, Christopher Walken and stars Chris Sarandon and Christina Raines.

Certainly not the greatest horror you'll ever see, but well worth a look and it retains a really wierd feeling throughout its running time. It's a bit "70's-tastic" though, but beyond that effective enough.

The trailer gives away more than it should, I'm afraid...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Carriers (dvd rental) Ok film...watchable.
    Four kids are driving through the desert on the way to the beach, their faces anything but cheery: this isn't Spring Break. They're trying to outrun the end of the world and each other. In Álex and David Pastor's CARRIERS, no one is safe from the viral pandemic threatening to wipe out the human race. Determined to elude the deadly virus, Danny (LOU TAYLOR PUCCI), his brother Brian (CHRIS PINE), his girlfriend Bobby (PIPER PERABO) and Danny's school friend Kate (EMILY VANCAMP) speed across the Southwestern U.S. to reach a place of possible safety. Over the course of four days, the group is faced with moral decisions that no human should ever be forced to face. They discover that their greatest enemy is not the microbe attacking humanity, but the darkness within themselves

Frozen River (dvd rental) Ok film,a bit bleak..............once was enough.
    Takes place in the days before Christmas near a little-known border crossing on the Mohawk reservation between New York State and Quebec. Here, the lure of fast money from smuggling presents a daily challenge to single moms who would otherwise be earning minimum wage. Two women - one white, one Mohawk, both single mothers faced with desperate circumstances - are drawn into the world of border smuggling across the frozen water of the St. Lawrence River. Ray and Lila - and a New York State Trooper as opponent in an evolving cat-and-mouse game

Centurion (cinema) Not a bad film,i enjoyed it,but nothing major.Not one for the collection.
    AD 117. The Roman Empire stretches from Egypt to Spain, and East as far as the Black Sea. But in northern Britain, the relentless onslaught of conquest has ground to a halt in face of the guerrilla tactics of an elusive enemy: the savage and terrifying Picts. Quintus Dias (Fassbender), sole survivor of a Pictish raid on a Roman frontier fort, marches north with General Virilus' (West) legendary Ninth Legion, under orders to wipe the Picts from the face of the earth and destroy their leader Gorlacon. But when the legion is ambushed on unfamiliar ground, and Virilus taken captive, Quintus faces a desperate struggle to keep his small platoon alive behind enemy lines. Enduring the harsh terrain and evading their remorseless Pict pursuers led by revenge-hungry Pict Warrior Etain (Kurylenko), the band of soldiers race to rescue their General and to reach the safety of the Roman frontier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Shutter Island. Started really well but was very disappointed by the end. The took the easy way out imo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Finally saw A Prophet the other night and really enjoyed. I love my prison movies and this story of a nobody climbing the ranks of the Corsican mob was fantastic.

It's long (2 and a half hours) but it keeps you entertained, a few odd French visuals were going on and detracted me from the film a bit but overall definitely one of the best prison movies made. If you're expecting the usual prison cliches you're not gonna find 'em here.

French cinema is fairly pounding the good ones out lately, and I wasn't the biggest fan of French cinema up until a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

watched Superbad for the first time. While it relied far too much on crude language and shouting and screaming on the part of Jonah Hill, I found it enjoyable enough. The best bits most certainly involved the two inept police officers (Bill Hader and Seth Rogen) and their antics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

stalker, 1979, amazing beautiful film.

A read through a few of the IMDB reviews says it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Some Like It Hot
    A Prophet
    Ginger Snaps
    Trust

I really enjoyed Some Like It Hot and Trust, but the film I felt was the best out of the ones I've watched was A Prophet.
    I'd recommend this to anyone that likes gritty films, regardless of whether you like subtitles or not.
    The story is so good that I pretty much completely forgot I was reading subtitles.

I've re-watched things like Fight Club and Star Trek, but I don't think re-watches count.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement