Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Goodfellas - was cooking some Italian food for myself, and I flicked on the television behind me... Didn't wait for the picture to come up and turned back to cooking. From behind me, I hear the immortal line:

"As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster".

The hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and I really get into my Italian cooking!!!:D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Just watched the Karate Kid. Hadn't seen them in years and i guess i'll watch the rest of them over the next few nights for nostalgia sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Just watched the Karate Kid. Hadn't seen them in years and i guess i'll watch the rest of them over the next few nights for nostalgia sake.

Strange, with how bad the other two are...it never ruins the first one for me.
    Brilliant film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Just watched The Aristocrats, the documentary about the joke of that name. Not to be confused with The Aristocats, unless you want schoolteachers to suffer strokes when your kids repeat the joke at school. :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

DazMarz wrote: »
    Goodfellas - was cooking some Italian food for myself, and I flicked on the television behind me... Didn't wait for the picture to come up and turned back to cooking. From behind me, I hear the immortal line:

"As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster".

The hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and I really get into my Italian cooking!!!:D:o

This seems to be on at least twice a week on AMC (American Movie Classics) and I watch it nearly every time, doesn't get old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Strange, with how bad the other two are...it never ruins the first one for me.
    Brilliant film.

Have you seen the trailer for the diabolical remake?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Crazy Heart - Not bad. I wouldn't call it amazing, theres some nice scenes in it but overall I was let down.
    His wakeup moment - the kid getting lost - was a bit meh. I was expecting something to happen along the lines of him being a complete wreck at his first major show. But what I got was a little too boring.
    It's no The Wrestler thats for sure. The song at the end is good though, very deserving of that oscar.

3/5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 858 ✭✭✭goingpostal

Extract. Saw it in the cinema on Friday night. Funny in parts, I liked Ben Affleck in it, Jason Bateman was good in it too. 3/5.

Looking for Eric. Watched it on DVD yesterday. Very well acted. I thought the two parts, the fantasy scenes with Eric and the gritty scenes with his sons were very well done, but they didn't seem to mesh well together. 4/5

The Ghost. Very well acted, even that bint from Sex and the City was tolerable. Not as much suspense as I was hoping for and it got a bit silly towards the end. Good bleak, wintery tone to it though. 3/5

Logorama. Won Oscar for Best Animated Short. Top, top class. Loved the Dean Martin track they used at the start of it. 5/5!!
    http://vimeo.com/10149605

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Michael Clayton - Pretty shít tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

The lovely Bones: The movie bits that were in real life I quite enjoyed but the "dreamworld" was self indulgent and obvious.

The Final: Horror where a bunch of outcasts execute a revenge plan on the popular kids who bully them. Not bad, little predictable but overall well played out.

Homecoming: Jock comes home from college for the weekend with his new girlfriend only to find his high school girlfriend is jealous as hell...think misery with college kids. Pretty good actually! Had it on in the background but it ended up taking my full attention.

Tenure: College professor is seeking tenure...eh, thats really about it. Luke WIlson plays the prof, the rest is an ensemble of...supposedly quirky comedy but I found it to be pretty boring.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Michael Clayton - Pretty shít tbh

:eek:

One of my most favourite movies.

Freedom Writers - Hilary Swank? True Story? Innocent teacher and gang member students? Cliché much? Yep, but pretty damn good it has to be said.

:eek:

One of my most favourite movies.
    In fairness I didn't pay a whole lot of attention for the beginning, I'd probably like it more on a 2nd viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Duellists (dvd)

Watched it tonight ,not as good as i remember but still enjoyed it
    One of the great directorial debuts, Ridley Scott's The Duellists is an extraordinary achievement which weaves an epic-in-miniature set around the edges of the Napoleonic Wars. Based on a story by Joseph Conrad, in turn inspired by real events and filmed in part where those events took place, this is the tale of a 15-year conflict between two French army officers: the level-headed Armand D'Hubert (Keith Carradine) and the obsessive Gabriel Feraud (Harvey Keitel). Each time they meet they duel, until the original purpose of the conflict is all but lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Finally got around to watching Dances With Wolves Avatar.

How the hell did this film get some many amazing reviews???

Don't get me wrong it is not awful, but it ain't great either. The technology was impressive, but the storytelling was flimsy at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,514 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I watched Robin Hood Men in Tights and laughed my ass off again :D

Mel Brooks is a comic genius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Inside Man apart fom being too slick and Clive Owens dodgy accent a very nice Noo York heist movie with a few old school twists but, being a Spike Lee movie built around something seriously "right on". Admitedly some suspension of disbelief was required
    (suppose the cops had sent the metal deposit box off for prints rather than leaving it in the coms van?)
    but every heist movie has its little coincidences.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Duellists (dvd)

Watched it tonight ,not as good as i remember but still enjoyed it

I really must get around to watching this again. I was a teen when I saw it, and have not watched it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Only saw Intermission for the first time the other night, laughed my ass off for the whole thing. Colm Meany was brilliant in it, charactor was extremely funny..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Drag Me to Hell'

Honestly, I am at a loss to understand the largely positive reviews this film has got. It really is ONLY ok, nothing more. A harmless night in.

I perhaps should say that I'm not a fan of Sam Raimi though and consider his stuff way overrated, including the much lauded 'Evil Dead'

In short, this deals with a bank clerk who receives a curse from an elderly gipsy woman, which states that for 3 days a demon will torment her and then...well, drag her to hell.

It's not bad, when you look past its short comings, but the "twist" is obvious and the characters are too unlikeable.

'The Kindred'
    An 80's horror flick that hasn't received the praise that it should have. In fact, it hasn't even received a DVD release. It focuses on bizarre experiments carried out on genetic mutations by the mother of the central character, a scientist, who becomes interested in his mum's work after she says he has to destroy Anthony...his "brother".

For a low budget film made in 1987, the slimy effects aren't half bad and everyone is fine in their roles. Special mention should go to Rod Steiger, who was perfect for the crazy doctor role he has in this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Tony EH wrote: »
    'Drag Me to Hell'

Honestly, I am at a loss to understand the largely positive reviews this film has got. It really is ONLY ok, nothing more. A harmless night in.

I perhaps should say that I'm not a fan of Sam Raimi though and consider his stuff way overrated, including the much lauded 'Evil Dead'

In short, this deals with a bank clerk who receives a curse from an elderly gipsy woman, which states that for 3 days a demon will torment her and then...well, drag her to hell.

It's not bad, when you look past its short comings, but the "twist" is obvious and the characters are too unlikeable.

Really have to agree here, rented it out a couple of months ago after i was in the mood for that type of film. Me and my girlfriend still laugh about it from time to time about how overrated it appears to be. And yet in the thread about "last decent horror", people still recommend it. I just think its an average "B" class horror movie.

And the twist, so so predictable. You couldn't even give yourself credit for noticing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Sat in last Saturday night and put on Annie Hall, hadn't watched it in a few years but I enjoyed it every bit as much as I did the first time I saw it. Fantastic film.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I watched Robin Hood Men in Tights and laughed my ass off again :D

Mel Brooks is a comic genius

Completely forgot it was on. Love that film :D

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Watched ONE FALSE MOVE last night, really enjoyed it. It was a cut above a lot of others in the genre.

Saw CLASH OF THE TITANS today. Cack. They just took everything good about the original and made it worse. Did not enjoy one single bit of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Reckoner91

'Centurion'. It has that English Officer from Inglorious Basterds as the main lad. It's a dramatic, somewhat Braveheart-ish retelling of Rome invading England. It was actually pretty good, fighting in it is class, everything about it is better than Clash of the Titans anyway.

And there was Irish in it lads! IRISH!! We almost never get that!!
    Well, not Irish, Gaelic, but pretty much the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

watched La Haine today, subs onmy dvd are godawful ****e but still a great movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Only saw Intermission for the first time the other night, laughed my ass off for the whole thing. Colm Meany was brilliant in it, charactor was extremely funny..

Watched this only the other day!

Meany made the film! Brilliant character...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

White Ribbon - Excellent film
    Toyko Sonata - good film
    The Limits of Control - arty farty rubbish
    The Stoning Of Soraya M - great film.
    Tennessee - there is a nice tone and atmosphere created in this uplifting film.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Car'

Unintentionally funny "horror" film from Universal Studios, hoping to follow on with their success of 'Jaws', but with a car instead of a shark. This bunkum features a demonic car, that's possibly driven by Satan himself (got nothing else to do I spose) as he terrorises a small town somewhere. I wasn't paying that much attention.

Fans of 'Futurama' will spot where they got the idea for the episode where Bender changes into the werecar in 'The Honking'. The car looks the same.

I recall seeing this as a child and even then thinking is was rubbish and now, 25 years later...it's still rubbish. But sort of dumb fun all the same. If you look past the absurd premise, it's kind of entertaining. The kind of film that could only have been made during the 70's, when studios were willing to chance their arm on anything.

Stars James Brolin and Kathleen Lloyd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Reckoner91 wrote: »
    'Centurion'. It has that English Officer from Inglorious Basterds as the main lad.

That guy is Michael Fassbender, Irish actor and the guy in the old Guinness ad where he swam across the ocean to say "sorry" to his buddy. :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement