Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Watched Donnie Brasco last night and Memento tonight. Both brilliant films. Especially the latter. Although the theme of the film must have rubbed off on me as i know i've seen if before but couldn't remember anything of it while watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Saw Iron Man 2-it was meh.

Reckoner91-How did you manage to see centurion?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Watched "The Room" for the first time the last day and I can honestly say I don't think I'll ever be the same. I feel like I've joined a cult I've become so obsessed with it.The acting, script, filming and dubbing are just so horrendous but they all culminate to make the perfect bad movie. It's so unbelievably awful, yet the most fun I've had watching a film.
    I am no longer capable of greeting someone with putting "Oh, Hi!" before their name.I think the scene below is one of the greatest in cinema history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

DazMarz wrote: »
    Watched this only the other day!

Meany made the film! Brilliant character...

And your sister, would she give me a rid'n?

"She Might Jerry"

"...The whore!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

The Fourth Kind - Only watched it because a friend put it on, but yeah it was cack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Iron Man 2 - Not bad but not as good as the first. There's not really anything in the film that the trailers didn't show. Unfortunately, it's the opposite...
    no kissy helmet for you, Stark
    Needed to be a tighter film.

In one way I did get from Whiplash what I wanted from Iron Monger:
    Whiplash wants Stark dead so he shuts up and tries to kill him
    . He's given credibility beyond comic book but
    gets quickly punked out in the final battle and BY HAMMER.

"That's not my bird." How about he actually gets HIS bird? I was expecting the room to be filled with parrots Hammer tried to pass off as the real one (I would have found it funny) or for Whiplash to kill the imposter within minutes.

He's clearly playing Hammer for better tech but there's no payoff for their dislike of each other.

War Machine should have had his mic cut off aswell. Much sooner anyway to up the threat.

Surprised there was no
    suggestion of a connection between a secret Russian agent and the Russian villain
    aswell. Hope the third if it gets made, and Avengers avoid showing the way he takes off. Was fine in the first one when he's learning the tech
    and War Machine in that regard
    but I think he's undermimed when he still does a C-3PO stance on take-off. Would have also liked
    the Iron Man/War machine brawl come across as drunk vs Rhodes new to the tech
    but meh. I can live with it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Saw The Reader recently. Kate Winslet was terrfic in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Daybreakers - Rubbish movie. I thought they might bring some new ideas to a genre that has been done to death, and they did; but still, somehow, managed to make it so clichéd. They brought in big name actors but none of them shone at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Los cronocrímenes (Timecrimes) - Fantastic timetraveling yarn in Spanish with subtitles. I really enjoyed this film...lots of twists and turns and really makes your mind work hard to understand what (and when) is going on. Very clever, maybe too clever at times as the entire premise seems to create a paradox, but decide for yourself.

Just watched this now. Very enjoyable film. I liked how it seemed to be a predictable story initially and yet turned into something very unpredictable as it progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Just finished watching 'The Prestige'. Excellent clever film though I've always liked Christian Bale in anything since I first saw the brilliant 'Metroland' years ago. Strange tho cos I don't even remember seeing 'The Prestige' advertised or anything when it was out at the cinemas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Watched Waterworld on a recommendation from the sticky and thought it was muck!!!!

What was I missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

yermandan wrote: »
    Watched Waterworld on a recommendation from the sticky and thought it was muck!!!!

What was I missing?
    Gotcha! :pac:

Nah - if you stayed and watched the whole thing, it wasn't that bad, was it? Last night was the first time I've seen the whole thing, on previous attempts I kept missing the start, and it made more sense this time. The opening shot of Kevin Costner
    taking a piss
    , and the way Dennis Hopper was chewing the scenery, should have told you that they weren't taking it all that seriously...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Island'

1980 box office failure from the pen of 'Jaws' creator Peter Benchley. In actual fact, if you forget the stupid set up of the central story, it isn't that bad a film and ended up being enjoyable and quite violent too.

The basic story involves a reporter (Michael Caine) who goes to the Carribbean, with his son in tow, to investigate the disappearances of ships over a number of years. There, he comes across a band of pirates descendents that have been surviving off of raided booty.

Anyway...it's got David Warner in it!!!

'Transformers'

Bloody hell...rubbish. idiotic, badly handled, overlong load of nonsense that's based on the "toy advert" cartoon that used to grace our screens in the 80's. Typically dumb Michael Bay fare...even the robots are crap.

'The Damned United'

I hate films about sport usually , but this is a brilliant (somewhat fictionalised) account of Brian Clough's 44 day tenure at the helm of Leeds FC in 1974. Michael Sheen is excellent in the title role and there is wonderful effort made to recreate "the beautiful game" of the 1970's and if anyone thinks football is a dirty game these days, then they should get a load of the game as practiced by the likes of Billy Bremner, Norman Hunter and John Giles (yes, that John Giles). Great stuff and everyone is very good in their roles. A special mention goes to Colm Meany who looked the part as Don Revie.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Watched The Road tonight.

I love the book, so was quite excited from the first mention of a film adaptation a number of years back.

The film does not live up to the book, but it is still one that I enjoyed. I think every actor in the film were pitch perfect for the roles they played, painting a picture that came very close to how my mind's eye pictured things when I first read the book.

I think one thing in particular let the film down. It was too short for me. I think it could have done with an extra 30 minutes or so to help expand on a number of things in the book. Most of the key scenes from the book are in the film, but a few felt rushed which is again where some extra time could have gone. It would have helped to build a sense of dread in certain scenes.

Also
    the baby on the spit
    was missing, and the scene
    in the house with the emaciated people that were stored in the celler by the cannibals, some with chunks missing from them
    , had the potential to be cinematic gold if it had followed the novel more closely.

The
    Coca Cola scene
    is another that could have been improved upon, and would have benefitted from better pacing.

I was also waiting for the boy to talk more about
    the dog
    but that seemed to be ignored except for in two places.

I did get the feeling though that a lot of scenes were cut in the blu ray version I rented tonight, and I suspect that there is a longer version that will surface on blu ray in the future. I say this because in the trailer there are little snippets that did not pop up in the film.

I am unsure of how the film must look to anyone who is not a fan of the book, but those who love the book will enjoy the film a lot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just finished Martyrs

had it for a while, but never got around to watching it until tonight.
    jesus christ

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

just finished Martyrs

jesus christ
    I've had it for months, still not sure when I'm gonna be ''in the mood'' for the it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

just finished Martyrs

jesus christ
    I've never felt more unsettled after a film... it's a great film, but as you said - "Jesus Christ"!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

martyrs isnt forgotten easily, great show though. was going to watch inside last night but wasnt in the mood for it. irreversible still stands out as the poster child for extreme french cinema though... cant wait for enter the void

also watched flame and citroen recently, two thumbs up, well worth a look.

cant remember the last decent english language film i watched, turned off the book of eli an hour into it- shlock. denzel plays cool dont-f-with-me loner, how original!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Watched some Kevin Smith films last night. Chasing Amy and Dogma. Chasing Amy was brilliant and Dogma was pretty good too!

Also Watched Gone Baby Gone directed by Ben Affleck and starring his younger brother Casey, with a bit of Morgan Freeman thrown into the mix! Absolute gem of a movie, Definate watch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just watched the men who stare at goats

great movie, really enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just watched I am Sam. Really heart warming film. Penn was outstanding. I cant remember the last film I whinged at as much!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Samson and Delilah

Excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just watched it for the first time the other night(made in 1985). Have to say I loved it. Eric Roberts' performance is patchy at best but Jon Voight is colossal. Not your typical action film, theres a very cerebral feel to it. Great Dialogue and as I said, Voight is brilliant. He was great in Coming home but this was a very different kind of performance, showing his diversity. Cant believe he went from coming home and runaway train to........Transformers. But hopefully he has one or two more good ones in him yet.
    If you havent seen runaway train and youre a fan of Voight, check it out. Cracking ending aswell. Actually one of the best endings to a film Ive seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Iron Man 2 - Meh, not very good imo. Apart from Scarlett Johansson's costume the movie didn't really appeal to me at all. The scene where
    Iron Man and War Machine are fighting could have been so much better as could the scene where they fought all the drones. The flying around in front of the drones was far too long and boring, whereas the fight was too short.
    Drunk Tony was good though.

3/5

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Just got back from seeing Largo Winch - came out over a year ago in France so glad I finally got to see it. Based on the very popular comic book series of the same name the screening I went to had a Q and A afterwards with Jean Van Hamme who writes the comic book. The film has some really good points but feels very much like a part one of a longer story [the comic book is at volume 16 and on going and they are filming the second film right now] Biggest nit pick was the subtitles as the film is in several languages and all the non french parts are subbed into french but as this was a screening in the uk they had english subs...not to bad for french bits, didn't mind french subs for the english bits but all the other languages had both english and french subs taking up half the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,897 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The Human Centipede

Not nearly as gorey as you'd be led to believe.. not hugely entertaining but it passed 90 minutes quite quickly!

A solid 2/5.

ztoical wrote: »

Just got back from seeing Largo Winch - came out over a year ago in France so glad I finally got to see it. Based on the very popular comic book series of the same name the screening I went to had a Q and A afterwards with Jean Van Hamme who writes the comic book. The film has some really good points but feels very much like a part one of a longer story [the comic book is at volume 16 and on going and they are filming the second film right now] Biggest nit pick was the subtitles as the film is in several languages and all the non french parts are subbed into french but as this was a screening in the uk they had english subs...not to bad for french bits, didn't mind french subs for the english bits but all the other languages had both english and french subs taking up half the screen.

Watched it about a year ago and really enjoyed it, didn't have the problem with the subs as my copy was sub free so I just grabbed English only subs online.

Naked: Truly superb Mike Leigh film starring a career best David Thewlis. he film follows nihilistic Johnny around the streets of London over three nights and chronicles the encounters he has. It's an absolutly stunning film in whcih you can't help but fall in love with the Thewlis's character who is a complete bastard.

Sexy Killer: Decent enough Spanish horror comedy. Some nice deaths and a few inventive moments point to a film which could have been so much more but at teh end of the day it was an entertainign 90 minutes with enough inventive flourishes to keep me entertained.

Sweet 16: Ken Loach at his best though perhaps a little heavy going for 11 o clock on a dreary Friday morning. The script by Paul Laverty manages to mix sentimentality with grit and features some fine performances. A must see if you're in the mood for something different but don't go expecting to be cheered up by it.

Kiss Me Deadly: Classic B movie noir goodness. One of those films which has been refrenced a dozen times over in films as diverse as Repo Man. The original cut which I watched clears up a number of issues and questions which have dogged the film since release. Anyoen with even a passing interest in the genre should pick it up asap.

3 and Out: Enjoyable dramedy with Mackenzie Crook and Colm Meaney about a loophole in the traindrivers code in which 3 kills in a month is met with early retirement. It starts off as a very dark comedy but soon evolves into a rather enjoyable family drama before quickly reverting for the final third. By no means high art but for the 1.70 I paid for it, it was a steal.

Hollywood Homicide: By the book buddy comedy based ona ctual events. It's obvious that the film was intended as a serious cop drama only for the tone to be hastily changed. Worth a watch if there's nothign better on but not worth going out of your way to see.

Daybreakers: Have to say that I was quite surprised by this, it's a vampie film with a few nice twists and a semi original plot. Certainly superior to the dross that passes for main stream vampire films these days. Willem Dafoe is excellent as always, while Sam Neill and Ethan Hawke give it their best. Again it won't be hailed in years to come but passes 90 odd minutes fantastically.

Multiplicity: Another 90s classic that I had'nt seen in at least a decade. Michael Keaton stars alongside Michael Keaton, Michael Keaton and Michael Keaton in a comedy about cloning. The laughs like most great coemdies come think and fast and don't rely on gross out moments. Perfect fodder for a lazy afternoon.

Shaft: Nowhere near as entertaining as I expected, it was a rather ploddign and by the numbers detective drama which featured some great performances but has aged badly. Certainly superior to the illconceived remake but not by much.

Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires: What happens when two of the greatest genre studios of all time come together to make a film? 85 minutes of pure unadulterated goodness is what. Combining the Shaw Brothers martial arts with Hammer Horror's scares the film is a classic with the always reliable Peter Cushing once more facing off against Dracula.

Made Men: A forgotten late 90s action fest in which James Belushi back when he was an actor fights the mob, the cops, the feds and red necks. It's not high art but then again never tries to be. It's 85 minutes of fast talking dialogue and enough thrills and spills to keep you entertained. Go in expecting an action fest and you won't be disappointed. It's worth watching for a scenery chewing Timothy Dalton alone.

Streets of Blood: Rather plodding cops and crims thriller with Val Kilmer and 50 Cent policing the streets of a post Katrina New Orleans. While it's not dreadful it is rather forgettable with some fine performances but an overtly cheap look and feel to to. You get the impression the Kilemr wasn't lured there for the quality of the material but rather the catering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

I went to watch 'The Joneses' last night, I was disapointed, I thought the idea for the movie was very good but its just crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

time crimes, saw it mentioned a few places and gave it a look. fairly impressed, would have liked the subbed version not the dubbed one though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement