Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Shogun Assassin: It's just a man from Japan pushing a pram....and killing the crap out of ninjas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Anakin.S wrote: »
    I went to watch 'The Joneses' last night, I was disapointed, I thought the idea for the movie was very good but its just crap.

Yeah it's awful. There with the worst I've seen this year. There's one truly cringeworthy scene where 5 girls are out jogging and they see Mrs. Jones wearing some new outfit/shades and they all turn around simultaneously to admire what she's wearing...next scene, yep you guessed it, they're all out walking again and they're wearing the same outfit as Mrs. Jones.

Also, I seemingly laughed at an inappropriate scene towards the end. I'm sure you'll know the one I'm talking about.

basquille wrote: »
    I've never felt more unsettled after a film... it's a great film, but as you said - "Jesus Christ"!

Not near as unsettling as Inside tbh. Both good movies, but Inside edges it for me. Nearly puked watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,898 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Renn wrote: »
    Not near as unsettling as Inside tbh. Both good movies, but Inside edges it for me. Nearly puked watching it.
    Not me.. while Inside was all-out more gorey, 'Martyrs' was far a superior film!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

Iron Man 2. Awesome.
    Old Dogs - Worst movie of the year. i wanted to claw my eyes out.
    Green Zone - kinda good but the last 30 minutes was poor IMO

• Advertisement

basquille wrote: »
    Not me.. while Inside was all-out more gorey, 'Martyrs' was far a superior film!

Not for me etc :)

Want to check out Dogtooth next...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gomorra:
    Not bad at all, really enjoyed it. Not at all what the hype built it up to be, but i really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Smokin_Aces

I watched the following:

1) I spit on your grave. I liked it. Really violent in every way imaginable. The acting wasn't that great to begin with but the story is good I guess.

2) Prince of Darkness. Liked it very much. A John Carpenter film which is a plus.

3) Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! Again it's pretty violent and not the best acting in the world but for me I enjoyed every bit of it. Strippers on a murderous rampage. Awesome.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,445 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Renn wrote: »

Want to check out Dogtooth next...

Definitely check it out, wonderful little film.

Haven't seen all that much over the last week or two, some interesting ones I've watched recently though:

Life During Wartime: intriguing sequel to Happiness. Some dull moments here and there, but Solondz gives most of the characters interesting 'resolutions', motivations and valid reasons to revisit them a decade later.

A Hole in My Heart: very disappointing work from Lukas Moodysson, which loses a lot of the heart and character of Together / Lilya 4 Ever in favour of some cheap shocks and distracting 'experimental' feel. Some solid moments, but a disappointment from such a talented director.

F is For Fake! Odd but fun Orson Welles documentary. Hard to get a grips on what's actually going on most of the time, but innovative and playful on the whole. Interesting commentary on issues of 'reality' vs 'fiction' in cinema too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

15 Minutes: dark, violent and whips along at a nice pace. DeNiro, Burns and Grammer are exellent.

Only 6.1 on IMDB, which is a huge shock, tbh!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Big Trouble in Little China, if you dont like this movie, somethings wrong with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Starship Troopers Trilogy arrived in the post this morning whoop!! Gonna watch all 3 of em now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Rec - Excellent Spanish horror film. I especially like the closing sequence, it nailed the feeling of the film and I'm glad that effect wasn't overused.
    the last zombie, the original girl, was one of the only genuinely unsettling zombies Ive ever seen. The night vision and the tense build up certainly helped reinforce this.
    I plan on watching the second one soon but I'm not sure if I want to continue the story, the ending of the first felt final enough. It can only go downhill.

5/5

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Saw Iron Man 2 yesterday and tbh was a fair bit underwhelmed by it. Its brain dead entertainment but ultimately unsatisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭questioner

fitz0 wrote: »
    Rec - Excellent Spanish horror film.
    5/5

i saw the american remake, i wasnt even aware that it was a remake until i saw rec2 a few weeks back which i turned off due to crapness.

watched brother last night, also crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

beat takeshis brother?
    crap?

srs?

also, rec2 is well worth checking out. Not as good as the first one, but it develops the story nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

DVD ( rentals 5 for 5euro for 5 nights)

Hostel II

Watchable......more of the same.
    Three female college students take a detour from their partying, enticed by a beautiful European woman who promises seclusion, safety and maybe even romance. What they get is a living hell where they are sold to the highest bidder who's fondest wish is to kill them slowly. Hostel 2 also follows 2 American men who, on the flip side of the coin, are willing to pay to join an exclusive club where a life will end at their hands...any way they like. It's a story of human monsters and the almighty dollar as only Eli Roth could tell it

Female Agents
    (Les femmes de l'ombre)
    Good film ,really enjoyed it.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0824330/
    In May 1944, a group of French servicewomen and resistance fighters are enlisted into the British Special Operations Executive commando group under the command of Louise Desfontaines and her brother Pierre. Their mission, to rescue a British army geologist caught reconnoitering the beaches at Normandy, and to kill a German SS colonel who is close to figuring out the imminent secret of D-Day, proves to be emotional and brutal. The story is inspired by the accomplishments of decorated SOE agent Lisé de Baissac.

Transporter III

Liked part 1 , part 2 was watchable , but part 3,more of the same,but not as good ...........To be avoided
    Frank Martin puts the driving gloves on to deliver Valentina, the kidnapped daughter of a Ukranian government official, from Marseilles to Odessa on the Black Sea. En route, he has to contend with thugs who want to intercept Valentina's safe delivery and not let his personal feelings get in the way of his dangerous objective.
    Warlords
    Ok movie , worth a look.Liked the main characters alot,some decent fight scenes.

It's a heroic tale of three blood brothers and their struggle in the midst of war and political upheaval. It is based on "The Assassination of Ma," a Qing Dynasty (1644-1911) story about the killing of general Ma Xinyi. The story was filmed by Zhang Che in 1973 as The Blood Brothers

Lions for Lambs still to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Moon - An Excellent film. Superb performance from Rothwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

fitz0 wrote: »
    Rec - Excellent Spanish horror film. I especially like the closing sequence, it nailed the feeling of the film and I'm glad that effect wasn't overused.
    the last zombie, the original girl, was one of the only genuinely unsettling zombies Ive ever seen. The night vision and the tense build up certainly helped reinforce this.
    I plan on watching the second one soon but I'm not sure if I want to continue the story, the ending of the first felt final enough. It can only go downhill.

5/5

Yep, it certainly does. If I were you, I'd let well alone. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Losers: good laugh. Plot wasn't bad, but I can see a sequal happening.

Also saw Predator 2, Red Heat, Raw Deal, and Last Action Hero of the past two or three weeks.

Films I plan to watch over the next few weeks Solomon Kane, Yoimbo, and Iron Man 2. Also hope to get around to Only the Brave.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Kick-Ass: Perfect blend of humour, action and Violence. Mindy is epic.

Van Diemen's Land - The better film of the two i've seen about Alexander Pearce.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

3) Faster Pussycat! Kill! Kill! Again it's pretty violent and not the best acting in the world but for me I enjoyed every bit of it. Strippers on a murderous rampage. Awesome.
    I saw that years ago, must find it again. A couple of years ago there was talk of a remake by Tarantino, with some sources suggesting Britney Spears would be in it. Hmmm ...

What did I see recently? Oh yes: Crank on TV. Round the Bend, Up the Wall, and Over the Top.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched The Losers: Very meh, though it does have some funny bits and it's fine when there's nothing else to watch. Descends into utter OTT-ness towards the end and Jason Patrick is a really odd but watchable villian.

Humour was very forced and a lot more misses than hits. My God, Chris Evans is built like a shìt-house in this and apparantley he's gotten even bigger since he was tipped for Captain America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

To get in the mood for the Star Wars Dublin Invasion I rewatched Episodes IV to VI of Star Wars the week before it. Quality!

For the sake of completeness I also afterwards bought the prequel trilogy - I had actually seen them before, but couldn't remember a whole lot about them, which is never a good sign - and was again disappointed by them. Episode II in particular is so uneventful that I have already forgotten what happened in it, in spite of the presence of Christopher Lee! :eek:

if you want to remember more about the prequel trilogy, I highly reccomend the videos in this link

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773524&highlight=incredible+phantom+menace

70 minutes long.... but infinitely superior to the movies themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

if you want to remember more about the prequel trilogy, I highly reccomend the videos in this link

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773524&highlight=incredible+phantom+menace

70 minutes long.... but infinitely superior to the movies themselves

There's one on YouTube for the even worse 'Attack of the Clones'.

Malice in Wonderland - Crap film

just finished Seperate Tables, great movie

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Men Who Stare At Goats - Shíte

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement