Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    "American Movie." really great movie. I'm sure it has a cult following here.

I saw this late one night a few years ago and found it oddly entertaining. The guy with the long hair came out with a few beauties. I must get the dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'From Beyond the Grave'

One of those 70's compilation horror movies from the Amicus studios. Amicus were Hammer's rivals for British horror and they made several of these anthology films over the course of the decade. There not spectacular, but they have a definite charm about them. Amicus and Hammer both had a lot of the same stars asigned to their films, including Chistopher Lee, Patrick Magee, Donald Pleasance and Peter Cushing, who starred in 'From Beyond the Grave' (along with Pleasance) in 1973. Cushing is the owner of a little knick knack shop and the stories are wound around the people who buy items there.

There are four stories in this one...

1. The Gatecrasher

David Warner buys a Mirror with something weird about it.

2. An Act of Kindness

Ian Bannen steals a DSO medal to impress a war veteran and his family.

3. The Elemental

Ian Carmichael buys a snuff box with a price tag he placed on the item himself from another cheaper item.

4. The Door

Ian Ogilvy buys an antique door that leads ot a strange blue room.

Needless to say, all of the stories end in a bad way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Watchmen - I thought it was quite good. I mean it's tough to find a good balance for that movie with all the stuff in the graphic novel. I think Zach Snyder did a good job though.

Let the Right One In - Brilliant. Really enjoyed how it was shot, how it was acted... everything really. I'll have to read the book now.
    Seeing this made me feel really apprehensive about the remake or re-imagining, whichever.

(500) Days of Summer - Enjoyed this too. :) I thought the Expectations versus Reality split screen was very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just watched The Road.

decent, kinda underwhelmed by it after all the praise I'd heard but still glad I watched it

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Brothers - Really enjoyed it. Great turns by all involved right down to the eldest daughter. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement

the ninth configuration

warrants another watching anyway, audio was all kinds of ****ed up ... enjoyed it alot though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Water Lilies on Film 4 tonight.

Slow paced, French "coming-of-age" drama about three teenage girls discovering their sexuality and all the insecurities that entails.

Well acted, beautifully shot.

3.5/5

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,898 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Made a dent on my un-opened Blu-ray's..

And watched 'Reservoir Dogs'. For a film that 18 years old, it doesn't really show it - it's aged pretty damn well!

Haven't seen it in years and it still holds up as a damn fine film - although I don't remember finding Chris Penn's performance (as Nice Guy Eddie) irritating all those years ago. But last night, it was the definite weak link in terms of performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Harry Brown'

Very good "urban horror' starring Michael Caine, whose really looking his age these days. Harry is a pensioner who lives with the dregs of British society in one of those awful high rise flat complexes built in the 70's/80's. The gangs on the streets are quite menacing and force Brown to detour his journey to the hospital every day, as he tries to see his ailing wife. Things quickly get out of control though and Harry takes matters into his own hands.

Sounds a bit like 'Death Wish' on a zimmer frame, but plays out a whole lot better.

There really is a sense of disturbing menace throughout the whole film that's really quite depressing and shows how parts of society can descend to horrific levels when destroyed by drugs, casual violence and weak law enforcement.

One of Caine's better efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Four Lions - Chris Moriss

Great laugh, drenched in satire and in some places I felt bad for laughing but it was all just too funny! It was a little daunting though when you wonder if any of this (story time scene) could be true! And the touching ending was a great way to finsih. More like this please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Skinfull - Have you checked out any of his other stuff? The last 15 mins reminded me of his show Jam. Well worth watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

the ninth configuration

warrants another watching anyway, audio was all kinds of ****ed up ... enjoyed it alot though

I saw this a while back,liked the twist at the end.Good fight scene as well.

Went to see Robin Hood.Liked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Watched A Prophet (or Une Prophète) and it was great, Tahar Rahim gave a fine performance as the young inmate invovled in Corsican and Muslim gangs inside French prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Taken - Liam Neeson
    It's a must see movie.

Also try edge of darkness with Mel Gibson in it

Both very good movies

just finished 'Fantastic planet' very good movie. Wish I'd heard about it before I stopped smoking weed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Daybreakers - Alright, a little bit ridiculous, but I liked it.

Boondock Saints II - Meh, glad I watched it but don't think I'd ever watch it again.

From Paris With Love - Pretty good for what it is, Travolta is some badass!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Man on Fire

Fairly silly, really. Denzel seems to appear in a lot of these type of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - Have watched this multiple times, but still makes me laugh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Edge of Darkness - Really quite enjoyed this, it went along at a nice pace and I found the scenes between Gibson & Winston to be really good. Main thing I didn't like was how
    the last we see of Winston is him lying face down on the ground, I mean, is that it? Bit anticlimactic really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Sin Nombre - A very good film.
    Sorority Row - This film was as hackneyed and silly as i thought it might be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Just finished Ip Man.

Damn, Donnie Yen is hell on legs.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Just watched Amadeus http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086879/

Great movie

Buckets of Blood and loads of mad stuff...............Great!!!!!!!!!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Watched an oldie this morning; the 1935 version of Les Misérables.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Finally got around to watching "No Country For Old Men". I'm the kind of jerk that gets turned off films when they get a few oscars :o Great film; very interesting; only problem was that some of Tommy Lee Jones' ramblings went on a bit long, and there was one or two too many. Other than that, it was a very compelling story and would recommend.

for anyone who hasn't seen it; No Country for Old Men is about
    a guy who mistakenly comes across a drug-trade gone bad in the desert; and absconds with $2 million. The guy hired to get the money back is a calm, psychopathic killer. Tommy Lee Jones is the small-town sheriff who can't really handle the awfulness of society around him (the number and style of deaths).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

King Kong. The 1933 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

"I've Loved You So Long" with Kristin Scott Thomas. It's sub-titled and Kristin speaks French beautifully. I also loved her in "The English Patient".

Kess73 wrote: »
    Just finished Ip Man.

Damn, Donnie Yen is hell on legs.:D

Thanks for the heads up,had a look at the reviews.looks great.

just ordered it on play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭MrSir

In the Company of Men: Good film
    Dogville:Flawed but an excellent picture one of the best films I've seen in a while
    Best in Show:What can you say other then HIlarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement