Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

We watched I now Pronounce you Chuck and Larry (pretty crap), Shallow Hal (brilliant) and Robin Hood (not great, not awful)

Shallow Hal put the others to shame though!:D Never stops being funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Carriers

The world is ravaged by a flesh-eating pandemic. Two brothers and their girlfirends trek out avoiding the diseased and doing what they can to keep living, keep moving.

It was actually quite good. Chris Pine who played Kirk 2.0 was good in it, playing a serious douche who is also aware of his douche-itude. Chris Meloni of Lawn and Order: SVU pops up in it too.

It's a swift, contained film, with touching flashbacks interspersed throughout its short runtime (about 80 mins). Enjoyed it, wouldn't watch it again though.

Bronson

Michael Gordon Peterson enters prison at a young age and discovers he wants to be famous. He has no skills he's aware of except his own violent nature, and decides to focus his energies on showing his skills to as many skulls as possible. Along the way, he renames himself, creating a caricature through which he can inflict maximum damage.

Wow. Everything about this from the subject to the marketing screamed "British Chopper", and it is similar in some ways: a self-deluding man of violence who shows a strange vulnerability. The main actor transforming himself physically (both Eric Bana and Tom Hardy dedicated themselves to bulking up).

To my mind, Bronson is a far superior film. Hardy grabbed my attention from Minute One. The budget is tight which helps to make things dark, brutal, and realistic. hardy boils with a mercurial temper, ready to lash out at any moment. He also demonstrates a very dark humour--won't spoil it here, wouldn't be decent anyway. Definitely watch this!

Shutter Island

Teddy Daniels is a widowed US Marshall, sent with his new partner to the shadowy asylum for the criminally insane on Shutter Island, to find a missing patient. He quickly realises a conspiracy is afoot. No-one can be trusted.

Loved the book. It gripped me. I finished it in a night (unusual for me). The film, whilst well-made and confidently directed, seemed to lack a lot of the atmosphere, and especially the panicked emotions, from the book. Maybe it's something to do with envisaging it all in your mind and heart, as opposed to passively watching it play out on-screen (though if that were true, Shawshank Redemption wouldn't be my favourite film). Maybe it's because I knew where the plot was going. I think, it was too slick for its own good. Needed more grime, less bravado.

Still, it's a heartbreaking story. The end of the film diverges ever-so-slightly, and yet damned significantly, from its original source---something which has me in two minds about Scorcese. The book ended with an emotional bang, but the film seemed to neuter that, shy away from truth just a tad. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,767 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The Hide - Great movie, with a good twist.
    A Film With me in It - Hilarious stuff!!
    A Serious Man - some very good subtle humour in this one.
    The Collector - more holes in the plot than a lump of swiss cheese!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Tin Cup - ended up in a situation whereby we were trying to remember this movie thanks to a real life parallel so we decided to watch it. It's harmless viewing, not an epic by any means but I still laughed. Cheech Marin being his typical comical self.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Rainmaker - Was on last night, excellent court room drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

Alice in Wonderland - loved all the actors, brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Thepones

It Might Get Loud - really enjoyed this. Edge surprised me in the fact that I was pretty interested in his stories etc. Obviously Jimmy Page was very cool. Downside was Jack White - came off very pretentious.

The Incredible Hulk - Quite enjoyed this. Much better than Ang Lee version. Nice start to Avengers.

Dig! - very enjoyable documentary for everyone - not just music lovers. Very interesting story.

Tonight! - Goodbye Lenin

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Let the right one in: I remember wanting to see this at the Jameson film festival last year but couldn't go. Got around to watching it at last, not sure why it took so long. Great movie although wrongly advertised as a horror. The relationship between Oscar and Eli is amazing and brilliantly acted by the two leads. I was waiting for a vampire cliche to pop its head up at some point through the movie but thankfully it never happened. Only flaw is the ending is a little predictable but didn't hapen exactly as I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭mrgardener

M Night Shamalamadingdong - The Village.
    Atrocious.

Whatever you do, dont watch The Happening. It makes The Village look like Citizen Kane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

unthinkable - 5 stars from me , truly is a great film , really liked this one great twists!! Samuel l jackson at his best !!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Mad Max II: The Road Warrior

Ocean's 11 (2001)

Goodfellas

all of the above are brilliant for different reasons, and all get a very healthy 5* from me! Love them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

A History Of Violence was on TV last night - finally got to see it. It's a David Cronenberg film, but fairly "mainstream" in that the stuff that happens is not fantastical. No talking rectums or anything like that - just people in situations. The title has multiple levels of meaning, the most basic level (not a spoiler) is that the main character has a hidden history of violence that comes back to haunt him and his family.

It plays with our perceptions of and response to violence, in that it puts the main characters in situations where violence is not only necessary, but a relief. Is violence the answer? In this film, it sometimes has to be, and when the violence comes it's not action film cartoon violence. A little goes a long way ... :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 ViennaShamrock

The Empire strikes back:cool:

PS: Don't like it?- Ignore the post:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Immortal Beloved - The genius behind the music. The madness behind the man. The untold love story of Ludwig von Beethoven.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110116/

Enjoyed this as much as I remember from many years ago. Well worth a watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

the bank job . . . .great film

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I just watched The Wolfman, and I thought it wasn't half bad for a monster flick, don't get all the negative reviews I've seen for it, 37% on rottentomatoes for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

BopNiblets wrote: »
    I just watched The Wolfman, and I thought it wasn't half bad for a monster flick, don't get all the negative reviews I've seen for it, 37% on rottentomatoes for example.

I find RT worse than IMDB for reliable info/reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

Alice in the wonderland - i give it a 'meh', which is rare caused' i always find a way to enjoy tim burton's works :( the goth element in the film is a let down and the story is very underwhelming(read: boring), there is always something wrong here and there, for an example alice's face expression is not natural at all i think is due to they were all acting in front of a blue screen. i cant see real selling points in this movie except the names of tim burton and johnny deep :( and i was really expecting more from them.

no reason to recommend it to anyone. maybe it was the first 3D practice of burton tho.i watched in normal 2D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - Opinion here.

The Aristocrats - Documentary with a bunch of comedians and Carrie Fisher telling the same joke. It's a clip show of talking heads essentially so either you can stand to sit (erm...) through it or not. Watched it to see the South Park animation version again but glad I didn't pay for the DVD which I was planning on getting eventually. Interesting but it ain't funny.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Up in the Air - Highly enjoyable sort of dark-comedy/psuedo-romcom with a great turn by Clooney in particular. The young Anna Kendrick was also excellent. Highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Let The Right One In - I've had this for months and only just bothered me hole to watch it. It really is just a fantastic movie, love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Final Countdown, no the Europe story, but an enjoyably swift time travel yarn from 1980 as USS Nimitz aircraft carrier gets transported through time to the eve of Pearl Habour attack.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

just watched the secret in their eyes again
    amazing movie

<3 me some Soledad Villamil

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched The Wolfman last night, silly movie with loads of cheap "gotcha!!" moments. The dodgy CGI is too distracting and isn't anywhere near as good as this:

Plus the gargantuas plot-holes left a sour taste in the mouth
    Emily Blunt knocking the gun out of Agent Smith's hand only to use it 2 minutes later on Del Toro anyways!..............all just to set up a sequel. Stupid!

Crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ironman 2 - woeful. Wasn't expecting it to be brilliant but I didn't think it would be *that* bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

mike65 wrote: »
    The Final Countdown, no the Europe story, but an enjoyably swift time travel yarn from 1980 as USS Nimitz aircraft carrier gets transported through time to the eve of Pearl Habour attack.

Saw that on BBC2 recently. Had never seen it before, but enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'The Game'

Michael Douglas is a stuffy, cold and isolated individual wrapped up in his job in finance. He's rich, but unhappy and just not a very good person. His brother (Sean Penn) gets him a present for his 48th birthday. It's from a company called Consumer Recreation Services and involves some sort of role playing venture, or so it seems. Once Douglas gets involved in the game, events take on a more sinister form.

Overall, this is a pretty tight thriller from David Fincher that ties the viewer up in a shroud of mystery. It offers up a load of questions and seems to answer them, but it's only at the end we get the true answer. Unfortunately, 'The Game' doesn't have the ending it should have and the viewer is left feeling that the whole plot is incredibly far-fetched and convoluted. The viewer is asked to blindly accept a LOT of what's gone on in the film with cheap explanations. Pity, because for 95% of it's running time, it's a very good thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Watched 'inside' & 'mutants' the last few nights..french horror, was very impressed with 'inside' as for 'mutants' it was good but really comes across as the first of a few to come. 'inside' definitely worth a watch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Surveillance

Directed by Jennifer Lynch (David Lynchs' daughter) is a movie about 2 serial killers and 2 FBI agents interviewing 3 survivors (a cop, a kid and a teenage girl) to an attack.

The movie has some nice cinematography and some decent black humour but the acting for most of the characters is weak. Actually very weak, so much so I almost turned it off.

From watching the first 20 minutes of the movie you will figure out exactly what is going on and with that in mind I cant say I would recommend this movie...it did nothing for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Surveillance

Directed by Jennifer Lynch (David Lynchs' daughter) is a movie about 2 serial killers and 2 FBI agents interviewing 3 survivors (a cop, a kid and a teenage girl) to an attack.

The movie has some nice cinematography and some decent black humour but the acting for most of the characters is weak. Actually very weak, so much so I almost turned it off.

From watching the first 20 minutes of the movie you will figure out exactly what is going on and with that in mind I cant say I would recommend this movie...it did nothing for me.
    I dunno..I thaught it was a pretty clever little flick, nice wee twist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement