Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I never liked the original but thought the remake was excellent.

Ah well, each to his own. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

The Cove

Interesting documentary about dolphin trapping/killing, focusing on a small 'killing' cove in Taiji, Japan; and a group of activists journey to expose this situation. Very interesting; although beware that it's extremely pro-dolphin people making a pro-dolphin doc. Don't expect the other side of the coin, or their statements to be backed up with hard evidence! The movie's impact depends on your personal love for dolphins. There are elements of espionage, conspiracy etc etc which makes for intriguing viewing. This is their PoV, designed to stir people into action to protect the harvesting of whales in Japan.

The bipolar reviews strongly recommending/condemning the movie on IMDB also make for interesting reading. Overall, i would recommend watching it, but before haranguing your fellow internetters, do a bit of research. Both pro- and con- aren't on the level. I'm sure this film's statements/'facts' are a hotly debated issue.
    =================================

Yes Man (with Jim Carrey)

Hmm! It feels like Liar, Liar, with a bit of 'My Name Is Earl' thrown in (do good things, good things happen). A man who always says no (to going out, doing things) goes a seminar and decides to take every opportunity (i.e. say 'yes' to everything). Easy-going movie, with a love story in there too. Some parts are a bit unbelievable, but overall it's quite grounded. Carrey is charming (and showing his age a bit more now -- especially alongside the love interest : she's 30, he's 48) but his Dumb & Dumber/Mask facial expressions are 15 years out of date! Rhys Darby (Murray from Flight of the Conchords) plays the dorky boss, great to see him breaking into the film industry.

Overall, there's not much substance to the film, it's pretty easy going with a small message, live a little. It's not a bad film, just nothing particularly outstanding about it!
    =================================

Hot Tub Time Machine

By the name you should know what you're getting into! It's a lad's weekend and there's a flimsy excuse for heading back to the mid-80s. The heart of the story is their friendship and there's a bit of Back to the Future thrown in. Not nearly the amount of nudity I was expecting. Some of the jokes are funny but most of them are just ok. The kicker is a fantastic 80s soundtrack, which is finely chosen and not all obvious choices.

Not the funniest 'bromance' comedy, certainly not as good as the Hangover, but if you're not expecting much but to be entertained; go for it. If you don't think you'll like the film (watch the trailer on youtube) then miss it. If anything, the film had me scrambling looking for the soundtrack before the film was out!

Gosh, i left out that there's some time plothole discrepancies, just let it go, it's not that smart a film....!
    i.e. if time specifically changes events because you are changing events (i.e. betting on it); how did the bald guy create google?! You can't just 'create' google; unlike a song, which you could write first. The guy has no expertise in computers....I didn't see a resolve of the "Great White Buffalo" or the Cincinnati incident, those 'memes'...
    Just go along with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Decided to have a Japanese all night :D

Watched them back to back.

HaraKiri...love the story in this film

Yojimbo...great story , Mifune is fantastic as usual.

Shogun Samurai....Above average but no Kurosawa.

Sword of Doom........lots of action.

No more samurai films for me for a while,i've had my Samurai fix.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Shutter Island - Bored me to tears tbh, but the last 15 minutes made up for it.

Green Zone - Was expecting a Jason Bourne in Iraq type movie, credit to Greengrass though, it was nothing like that. Turned out to be pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,900 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Toy Story IMAX 3D - absolutely surpassed all expectations. Fantastic... just when you think the hype is unjustified and your fond memories of the series will be sullied, Pixar pull off a funny, touching and hilarious addition to the series.

The Michael Keaton voiced Ken Doll steals the show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

basquille wrote: »
    Toy Story IMAX 3D - absolutely surpassed all expectations. Fantastic... just when you think the hype is unjustified and your fond memories of the series will be sullied, Pixar pull off a funny, touching and hilarious addition to the series.

The Michael Keaton voiced Ken Doll steals the show!

Where did you catch that?

Renn wrote: »
    Where did you catch that?
    Miami.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I take it you meant Toy Story 3 IMAX 3D

Yep, too many 3's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Dark City - quite enjoyed this one, even if it did get a little ridiculous in places... Think I bought it on Bluray to demo my new PS3 a few years ago and only got around to watching it this week

Zombieland - not bad I suppose, wasn't expecting much from it in the first place and it didn't exactly exceed my expectations....

Mortal Kombat - funnier than most comedies I've watched recently!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Greenberg-A film I couldn't recommend more to you, but only if I hated your guts and wanted you to suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

The Bounty Hunter

Honestly, I think I've been just robbed of an hour & half of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

The Hunted Businessman takes on Ninjas......dodgy story but great action.The battle on the train is a gorefest.There is another film with the same name,but this one stars Mr Highlander himself.

Salvador...one of my favourites,james woods is great.His best movie IMO.
    Love the story and the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Edge of Darkness-Edge of shi tness more like. (sorry) I quite liked the last five minutes, but I have a thing about revenge and revenge films so I would. And, this was only the second film I watched on blue ray so it looked fantastic to me. I also am really glad to see Mel Gibson back.

Four Lions-Not going to talk much about it, don't want to ruin it, but I can't remember seeing a film recently that I enjoyed more. On many levels. It could be the best thing I see all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Hungover today and spent the day with Mrs. Doubtfire. Absolutely brilliant. Is it too much to say I would easily place it with the greatest films of all time. A flawless flick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

tman wrote: »
    Zombieland - not bad I suppose, wasn't expecting much from it in the first place and it didn't exactly exceed my expectations....

Me neither and I hate zomcoms, but I have to admit I liked it.
    Bill Murray checking out was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Orson Welles and Me - decent
    The Secret in their eyes - an excellent film!!
    Desert Flowers - a wonderful movie!
    Green Zone - better than i thought it would be.
    Extreme Measures - an uplifting tv kind of movie
    From Paris With Love - good action film
    Glorious 39 - fantastic film set in world war 2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Hungover today and spent the day with Mrs. Doubtfire. Absolutely brilliant. Is it too much to say I would easily place it with the greatest films of all time. A flawless flick.

Woah, I think you might have to take it handy on the booze :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Please Give - I thoroughly enjoyed this. 50% of that enjoyment was down to Rebecca Hall and Catherine Keener, but surprisingly clever and engaging film. Has some very well drawn characters, especially the female cast which makes a pleasant change, and backed up by excellent performances. It's sort of like a more sincere version of a classic Woody Allen New York film, in which characters actually learn something although that something isn't always what you expect. It avoids easy, dramatic resolutions in favour of some solid character building and growth, and themes such as middle-class uncertainty. These are wealthy people who still have morals and a sense of good will, although can't always channel it. Definitely worth a watch.

Girl Who Leapt Through Time - second watch, got more out of it this time I think. Fun anime mix of time-travel farce and grounded teenage drama. A pleasantly small-scale film, with likable characters.

House of the Devil - (copied from a horror thread) Fascinating film. I had heard good things and picked up impulsively when I saw it on Greta Gerwig's IMDB after watching Greenberg. It's really quite good. I absolutely loved the opening credits, how fantastically retro. I loved the 'father' of the house, his voice in those phone-calls was just so unnerving. I loved the few scares they had Spoiler:
    (I said '****!' aloud when Gerwig got shot in the face, and the image of the family sacraficed on the pentagram).
    I loved that the director was brave enough to focus on the creeping dread right until the very end. I loved how cheesy and yet demented the ending was too.

Really liked it, a superb emulation and homage to a very specific genre and style. Plus, Jocelin Donahue is awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Just watched The Prestige after seeing people mention it in the Inception thread. I thought it was really really good.

Reality is always less interesting than the Prestige.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Watched Black Snake Moan over the weekend

I was a bit dubious about it but it was very good. Samuel L Jackson does some great blues sets in it. Christina Ricci is fantastic - very underated actress. Justin Timberlake is in it & again he does a good job. I sort of forget it's him in this movie so that usually means he's pulling it off.

It's a bit explicit, gritty & deep south grimey but great all the same

Mink wrote: »

I was a bit dubious about it but it was very good. Samuel L Jackson does some great blues sets in it. Christina Ricci is fantastic - very underated actress. Justin Timberlake is in it & again he does a good job. I sort of forget it's him in this movie so that usually means he's pulling it off.

Not to mention Christina Ricci is smokin' hot in it!!

Brooklyn's Finest - In a word? Shíte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

the holiday - great film thought it was great

sherlock holmes - really good film

last chance harvey - first time seing it and thought it was good

rock and rolla - classic film :D

it might get loud - great documentary of johny page,jack white and the edge , , really inspired me

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Watched the knowing on Blue Ray last night, good enough movie and although stayed closer to a sci-fi horror thriller than the epic disaster type thing I was expecting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Neberkenezer

watched a show called britz on

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/britz/4od#2921396

its a 2 parter,nearly 4 hrs long .. about a muslim brother and sister living in england torn in different directions after 9/11 ... its a great watch and i do recommend.

A V A wrote: »
    it might get loud - great documentary of johny page,jack white and the edge , , really inspired me

*ahem!*

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

Mink wrote: »

One of my favourite films of the last few years - hugely underrated. The bluray also looks amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

American Psycho

Seen it loads of times but its a quality film. Makes me want to read the book which I might pick up over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Javelin77

American Psycho

Seen it loads of times but its a quality film. Makes me want to read the book which I might pick up over the weekend

Nice one . Sure you know about 'harsh times' more intense psycho side of christian bale.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement