Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I love you Phillip Morris

Jim Carrey & Ewan McGregor star in this true story about a gay conman who falls in love with a fellow inmate and follows their time together and apart.

I thought this was going to be a comedy, maybe it is but I didn't think it was that funny, but there was enough in it to keep me watching. It could be that I've just seen to many Jim carrey comedies and was expecting something similar. It has a kind of twist towards to end that I didn't see coming.

Overall I'd give it a 6.5\10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

American Psycho

Seen it loads of times but its a quality film. Makes me want to read the book which I might pick up over the weekend

Brett Easton Ellis admitted that he read American Psycho recently and even he couldn't believe the amount of violence in it. It's a very very distrubing (and at times boring) read!..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,298 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

...and SO much of the violence was left out of the film.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

He's coming for a talk at the Galway Arts festival next month also. (Ellis)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Mink wrote: »
    Watched Black Snake Moan over the weekend

I was a bit dubious about it but it was very good. Samuel L Jackson does some great blues sets in it. Christina Ricci is fantastic - very underated actress. Justin Timberlake is in it & again he does a good job. I sort of forget it's him in this movie so that usually means he's pulling it off.

It's a bit explicit, gritty & deep south grimey but great all the same

I'd love to know what fella's opinions on this film would be if Christina Ricci hadn't got them out!!! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Long time since i seen this,but its definitely still as good as i remember it.Jason Scott Lee is brilliant in this film and there is some great fight scenes.Made me want to watch bruces lees films again.As i only have Enter the dragon ,might order a couple when i get a chance.The big boss,way of the dragon and Fist of fury are all around €5 ,so worth a look.Although the films are a bit dated i think Bruce Lees screen presence is timeless.
    Won't bother with Game of Death,IMO is not worth getting.

For me the legacy of bruce lee on screen starts and ends with enter the dragon. The rest are intriguing but mediocre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Recently saw 'Oldboy'- A Japanese film, it's a bit confusing..
    Also 'Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind' and 'The Road'.

All I've done since finishing my Leaving Cert is watch films. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Javelin77

In america

This movie must be well known in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Last night I got to see a classic for the first time: Kurosawa's Rashomon. Groundbreaking in so many ways, an essential part of any education in cinema.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement

Enjoyed this film bigtime!.Made in 1965 and still after all this time,a powerful,powerful movie.
    In 2003, the New York Times reported that the Pentagon screened this film for officers and civilian experts who were discussing the challenges faced by the US military forces in Iraq. The flier inviting guests to the screening read: "How to win a battle against terrorism and lose the war of ideas".

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=2748

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

lalee17 wrote: »
    Recently saw 'Oldboy'- A Japanese film, it's a bit confusing..
    Oldboy is South Korean, ha.

A Prophet Good film...well worth a look.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235166/

Winter in Wartime (Oorlogswinter) Liked this one alot.WW2 story set in holland.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0795441/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

tman wrote: »
    Dark City - quite enjoyed this one, even if it did get a little ridiculous in places... Think I bought it on Bluray to demo my new PS3 a few years ago and only got around to watching it this week

Zombieland - not bad I suppose, wasn't expecting much from it in the first place and it didn't exactly exceed my expectations....

Mortal Kombat - funnier than most comedies I've watched recently!:p

Thanks for this. Gonna watch Dark City. Never heard of it. Got good reviews on imdb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    Just brilliant. They sure dont make em like they used to!

They sure don't make actors like Paul Newman anymore. The essence of Cool.

Looks like there's a nice car wash scene.

Did they not have bra's back then, jeeezz. :p

Vampire movie with a twist........liked it....... worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Just watched Road To Peredition again. One of those films I never caught fully cuz something would always come up during it where I'd have to skip it.

Anywho, I enjoyed it. A very well shot movie with a great, though fairly silent, turn from Tom Hanks and of course the legend Paul Newman giving the movie that extra piece of class. Jude Law was good too, to be fair. A rare occurence where he doesn't annoy me. A fine, epic soundtrack too.

Though one thing did gripe with me:
    Considering Hanks caught on fairly early who Jude Law was when he meet him in the diner, why didn't he kill him when he had the chance in the hotel? It was pretty obvious the glass shooting into his face wouldn't have finished him and he was incapacitated for enough time.

Hanks also knew that Law would find him at the Aunt's house.

Oh well, just one of things that bugged me.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭DFB BOY

Recently bought 'See No Evil,Hear No Evil' of Ebay on dvd,absolute great comedy film with Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

Last film I watched was Everybody's Fine. It was good but it was quite sad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Face/Off

Love this film... Great actioner, with what still looks like cutting-edge technology, even 13 years after this film's release. Cage and Travolta play off one another expertly, each playing the opposite actor's character for the vast majority of the film. Travolta is superb in his role as the villain-in-hero's-skin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

StereoLove wrote: »
    Last film I watched was Everybody's Fine. It was good but it was quite sad

Yeah really liked Drew Barrymore in it even though generally I don't think much of her.

Just finished Solomon Kane, really liked it, thought Purefoy kicked ass in it.
    Dodgy enought effects for the final battle but they kept it relatively short so not too bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The Truman Show just finished on FilmFour. Really good movie, top stuff from Carey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Bleedin Delish

Just watched " The Lonely Man" on DVD this weekend.. one of the worst and most boring things that I have ever seen.. avoid like the plague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Bleedin Delish

oh yeah on the other hand I watched Into the Wild (Sean Penn directed it) and it was brilliant .. really made me want to go travelling :D

The Road.
    I think it failed hard at evoking the mood it was so desperately trying to achieve and fell somewhat short of what it should have been given the book. Dull really. Disappointing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Hot Tub Time Machine.

I had started to watch The Elephant Man, but I quickly realised that I wasn't in the mood for anything David Lynch related. So turned on the above for some brainless... eh... fun. Wasn't a terrible movie, it's a semi decent way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Mink wrote: »
    Watched Black Snake Moan over the weekend

I was a bit dubious about it but it was very good. Samuel L Jackson does some great blues sets in it. Christina Ricci is fantastic - very underated actress. Justin Timberlake is in it & again he does a good job. I sort of forget it's him in this movie so that usually means he's pulling it off.

It's a bit explicit, gritty & deep south grimey but great all the same

Its decent enough without being mind blowing.

Would love to have a hot little nympho chained up in my house....sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

I watched Up on Blu-ray over the weekend, visually fantastic and a good story too

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thanks for this. Gonna watch Dark City. Never heard of it. Got good reviews on imdb.

Really good movie, comparisons with The Matrix are inevitable but it came out before it. In fact the opening of The Matrix with Trinity running across the rooftops was a set reused from Dark City, shot in the same studios in Australia. If you can get the blu-ray, it looks stunning, and the directors cut adds a lot to the movie, and also removes the stupid, ruining its own ending opening narration by Kiefer Sutherland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Watched Invictus last night, thought it was pretty decent, the size difference between Damon and the other guys is pretty funny!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement