Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Watched Der Untergang again today... What a film. Brilliant acting on one of the most harrowing and visceral chapters of World War II. The insanity and deluded nature of the high-ranking Nazis is laid bare for all to see in this documentary style piece.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Defo have to give that a look Dazmarz.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rounders - Super movie, would actually be really good if there was a sequel now about
    him getting to Vegas and taking part in the WSOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,900 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I love Rounders.. wasn't there talk of them writing a sequel recently, and Ed Norton said he's be on board?

EDIT: Here's the most recent article about it.. from 2 weeks back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

basquille wrote: »
    I love Rounders.. wasn't there talk of them writing a sequel recently, and Ed Norton said he's be on board?

EDIT: Here's the most recent article about it.. from 2 weeks back.
    Hadn't heard about that myself but it would be awesome!

Actually, I just checked and it's ''in development'' on his IMDB page! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

DazMarz wrote: »
    Watched Der Untergang again today... What a film. Brilliant acting on one of the most harrowing and visceral chapters of World War II. The insanity and deluded nature of the high-ranking Nazis is laid bare for all to see in this documentary style piece.
    Defo have to give that a look Dazmarz.

Do... Brilliant film. Well worth a look. And as I'm on about German cinema, also look out for Der Baader Meinhof Komplex which is set in 1960's and 1970's Germany and revolves around the psuedo-Communist urban guerrilla group, R.A.F. (Rote Armee Fraktion/Red Army Faction). Really an untold story outside of Germany, but also shows how, in an effort to better the world, these deluded fools almost tore West Germany apart in a maelstrom of bombings, killings and terrorism. Also, features Bruno Ganz who played Hitler in Der Untergang.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Watched Get Him To The Greek, I liked it. But it's an unfunny comedy. It's just not funny.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Watched the Human Centipede... terrible terrible terrible film!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Do... Brilliant film. Well worth a look. And as I'm on about German cinema, also look out for Der Baader Meinhof Komplex which is set in 1960's and 1970's Germany and revolves around the psuedo-Communist urban guerrilla group, R.A.F. (Rote Armee Fraktion/Red Army Faction). Really an untold story outside of Germany, but also shows how, in an effort to better the world, these deluded fools almost tore West Germany apart in a maelstrom of bombings, killings and terrorism. Also, features Bruno Ganz who played Hitler in Der Untergang.

Was well disappointed with Der Baader Meinhof Komplex. Felt the subject matter was too much for the big screen, or should I say, that I would have been better off reading a book about that period rather than watch this movie as it was too much. Felt like a tv movie at times. Acting is fine and all that but it lacks that punch that a film like Der Untergang gave us.

If you were to check out a Udi Edel movie then I'd suggest Christiane F. (1981). Harrowing stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

HotTub TimeMachine..

Quite fun :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Saw it recently enough and it was one of the best films I've seen in a long time. I'll admit I only bought the movie because of those parody vids on youtube. Bruno Ganz put in an amazing turn as Hitler. The scene with Frau Goebbels and her kids was hard to watch, you get to see how insane it all was.
    I did think it was funny when Hitler was imagining armies all over the place expecting Steiner to come to the rescue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The last three films I watched:

Vertigo

This is such a rich film with so many layers beyond the thrillerish plot. Every time I watch it I get something new from it. The characters are so haunted and lonely, the end so tragic. Stewart tries to recreate the past with horrible consequences. It's hard to sympathise with him in the end. He's so blinded and foolish. In a way the film is really about Novak. I always feel so sorry for her.

Mulholland Drive

Intoxicating is the best word to describe this film. It is so mysterious and fascinating that it is impossible not to be drawn into it. Every time I think I have it figured out I watch it again and begin to doubt myself. The real meaning behind the film is illusive and difficult to verbalise. Maybe it is something that can only be felt. It's a nice companion piece to Lynch's previous film, Lost Highway, as much for the differences as for the similarities. Lost Highway is a much darker film though, where as there's something weirdly positive about how Mulholland Drive ends. The film is also littered in references to Vertigo.

Notorious (1946)

I hadn't watched this in years and had forgotten how good it is. The script is fantastic, as are the actors, but it is the visuals that really jumped out at me on this viewing. It's a gorgeous looking film. A classic ending as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

Mulholland Drive

Intoxicating is the best word to describe this film. It is so mysterious and fascinating that it is impossible not to be drawn into it. Every time I think I have it figured out I watch it again and begin to doubt myself. The real meaning behind the film is illusive and difficult to verbalise. Maybe it is something that can only be felt. It's a nice companion piece to Lynch's previous film, Lost Highway, as much for the differences as for the similarities. Lost Highway is a much darker film though, where as there's something weirdly positive about how Mulholland Drive ends. The film is also littered in references to Vertigo.

That is the most confusing film I've ever watched. I want to watch it again, to see if I can make sense of it, but dunno if I could sit through the whole thing once more.

Anyway, I watched The Lovely Bones the other day, I really liked it despite it having mainly negative reviews. I guess I just like anything that has even the slightest bit of surrealism in it.

The blu-ray of Mulholland Drive is out soon enough I think, a must buy for me (since I never picked up the special edition). It's one of my favourites, if not my favourite of all time, always in my 'top' lists.

I've told every little star...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Anakin.S

Watched 'Full Metal Jacket' last night, excellent movie, I could watch it again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

I have decided to rename Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island" to "Shitter Island", because it's poo.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,029 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

keefg wrote: »
    I have decided to rename Martin Scorsese's "Shutter Island" to "Shitter Island", because it's poo.
    Really? was looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Really? was looking forward to it.

I thought it was excellent.

Watched Green Zone the other night and also thought it was very good.

Hot Tub Time Machine - some good laughs and enjoyable, want to watch it again

lolz, Shitter Island

It's not ****, not at all, but it's far from his best. I loved the opening scene, some thought it was a bit much, overbearing and all that, but I thought it set the mood perfectly. I had no problems whatsoever with the story, that wasn't the point of the movie. It had Hitchcock influences, no doubt, but overall I don't think it holds up to well. The editing was one thing that put me off a bit - I know Scorsese was trying to bring us into the world of the main character but it got a tad bit annoying after a while. He used something similar in Taxi Driver and it was perfect. 5/10 for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anvil! The Story of Anvil (2008)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Should have gone for 'Scutter Island', it rhymes. Not **** though, pretty good actually.

What have I watched recently? Well...

Breathless - nice to get to see this on the big screen. Typically care free New Wave film, a crime film purposefully lacking in focus or drama. Great atmosphere, excellent soundtrack.

JSA: Joint Security Area - excellent film from Chan Wook-Park about soldiers working at the North / South Korea border. Character based film concerning an investigator trying to figure out how a South Korean solider killed and injured soldiers from the North. A pretty bitter film about the futility of such division.

Transformers: The Movie - had never seen this before (!), but gave it a watch after playing the new game. Aged in many respects (clearly a child of the 80s), but a hell of a lot better than Michael Bay's cack. Fun, and some bizarre voice work from the likes of Orson Welles and Eric Idle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

Have to say I enjoyed Shutter Island, the book is a great read as well!

Watched:

The Collector: Had potential to be interesting and inventive but instead but laughable and proved how much better Kevin McAllister was at booby trapping a house!

Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs: Rare to find a really good animated movie anymore so was pleasantly surprised by this, very funny and loved Steve the monkey!

Paranormal Activity: Scared the beejaysus out of us, but in a good way!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Book of Eli - wasn't actually as bad as I expected!:eek: (then again, I'm a sucker for anything set in a post-apocalyptic world...)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

mike65 wrote: »
    Anvil! The Story of Anvil (2008)
    That made for some of the most tragic viewing I've ever experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

tman wrote: »
    Book of Eli - wasn't actually as bad as I expected!:eek: (then again, I'm a sucker for anything set in a post-apocalyptic world...)

Me too, must give this one a look so! Don't think many will be able to top The Road though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Thepones

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - very good watch. Read all of the books a few months back and was interested to see how they tackled the story. It is pretty graphic in places, as the book was, but overall its a pretty good adaptation.

some pieces are breezed over, but they may pick these up in more detail in the next installments.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

The Crazies-You'd be crazy not to. (I am soo sorry) Ya, but seriously, was looking forward to this for ages, managed to miss it in the cinema for one reason or another. Fan of Panabaker and Elephant, both are fine in this. Some good bits. And really liked the look, and composition of some of the shots. It couldn't have been worse than the original which is just people running through fields filmed on a vhs camera.
    I will probably buy this on bluray and give it another watch in 9-12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,900 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I enjoyed The Crazies.. but there was far too many scenes with a character in the foreground going about their business, and the camera pans to reveal one of "the infected" in the background.

I know it's a horror movie cliché nowadays.. but jesus, they really over-used it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Javelin77

Taboo 3 with kay parker :D sophisticated movie, it shows how the happy family life look like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Pot Noodle =

The Graves good and scary

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement