Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Unthinkable - Super film

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

DazMarz wrote: »
    Dirty Harry

Nearly 40 years since it was first released, this is still one of the best police/detective films out there. Clint Eastwood firmly established the cop-who-won't-do-things-by-the-book archetype with his performance as San Francisco Police Inspector Harry Callahan. This is a mould that is rarely changed to this very day.

The plot is kept tight and the tension is ratcheted up every so often as Callahan hunts down the elusive and sadistic sniper known only as Scorpio (a superbly nervy and maniacal performance from Andy Robinson). But the law itself places as many obstacles in Harry's way as Scorpio, and justice (or at least the justice Harry believes in) demands that the book and the red tape not be followed or adhered to.

Yea totally agree with you it's my favorite Eastwood film and a classic cop thriller the dialogue is brillant as is the brillant phychotic villian Scorpio and the ending is bloody great viewing. Tonight I watched dead mans shoes and ave to say was a bloody good film very real and raw and one of it favorite films by the brillant shane meadows

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Finally watched Anvil: The Story Of Anvil, really wanted to see this film before it came out but since it was on limited release it just slipped into the back of my mind until I saw it mentioned here earlier today.

Really enjoyed this documentary, you felt really bad for these guys and all the shìt luck that was thrown at them. Moreso because they came out as really nice, decent blokes who just wanted what they believed was their place in Metal and music.

You'd almost believe from the scenarios and the 2 best friends that it was fake. The singer being something of a loopy man-child while the drummer was the quiet, intelligent character but that's what made it even more fun & painful viewing.

Some bits I went "Ah fùck!" when they were dealt a bad hand but that's a testament to how much of a well-made and passionate doc it is (The director having been a huge fan and a roadie for them back in the 80's)

If you liked Spinal Tap you'll enjoy this, it's not as funny but it can easily be put beside it in terms of the disaster the 80's metal scene was for many bands and the struggle some people will go through to live out their dreams. Plus there's some crazy similarities between the 2
    The fact that Spinal Tap and Anvil have their big audience at last in Japan being one of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Javelin77

Killer's kiss . Stanley kubrick's classic

• Registered Users Posts: 16,771 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Stolen- A good story but let down by one or two plotholes and lousy acting

pity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Shutter Island...

Rubbish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

I liked Shutter Island! Watched Up in the Air last night, slick comedy with good performances all round

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I thought up in the air was very tedious. No likable characters, rare glimpses of humour. Experience similar to waiting in an airport for a plane tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Just started in on the wire season two...very good, The first series was really a get to know you kinda job..lays out the charters & their motives. ((street chess with balls) brilliantly written..the second series gets even better..more than a hint of 'deadwood' about it, at lest HBO got to finish this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

went to see shrek 4.

crap and the 3d wasnt all that much to write home about either, but theres sod all out there to interest me so it was pretty much the best of a bad bunch of choices IMO.

It HAS got a bit of heart to it, but its not funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Is it another conversion job? Also, is Toy Story proper 3D?

Renn wrote: »
    Is it another conversion job? Also, is Toy Story proper 3D?

Both aret rue 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

cant wait for the piranha one

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Gran Torino - Not bad at all 8/10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Very silly movie but enjoyable nonetheless. I didn't know if they were going to go the fallen hero, school named after him route or the "whoooooo he made it" route until the last minute.

It is very long though. Quite a lot happens in it which I was not expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Watched it last night with my son.His first time to see it.I was surprised ...he loved it.He really got caught up in it,rooting for the escapees ,especially steve mcqueen on the bike and slagging the Gestapo/SS.
    I suppose the title says it all a "Great "film.

I thought up in the air was very tedious. No likable characters, rare glimpses of humour. Experience similar to waiting in an airport for a plane tbh.

Don't agree but that's what makes the world interesting:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Green Zone.

Not very good. Quite indulgent. Weak story to prove a now irrelevant point.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Green Zone.

Not very good. Quite indulgent. Weak story to prove a now irrelevant point.
    I watched 'girl with the dragon tattoo' (very good if not very dark) before i watched 'green zone' bad idea...made 'green zone' near unwatchable..a pile of crap, acting was abismal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Very silly movie but enjoyable nonetheless. I didn't know if they were going to go the fallen hero, school named after him route or the "whoooooo he made it" route until the last minute.

It is very long though. Quite a lot happens in it which I was not expecting.

I remember seeing this in the cinema and saying that it was one of the worst films I had ever seen.
    I'll never watch it again. From pretty much the beginning, I knew exactly who was going to survive.

Recently, I have mostly been watching:

Ponyo: Miyazaki Japanese animated film. Beautiful animation as usual, but it has the same unusual storytelling style Miyazaki always uses.
    Well worth watching if you like animation.

Four Rooms: Film separated into four shorts, Robert Rodreiguez (spelt that wrong) and Quentin Tarantino each direct one of the shorts. It's fairly awful though, just doesn't seem to work. There are too many restrictions on the shorts.

Once Were Warriors
    : Australia film based around the story of a troubled Maori family in which the father is badly treating his wife and family.
    Not a bad film, didn't think that much of it though.

And loads of other really terrible films, I have to start putting a little bit more effort into what I watch.

• Advertisement

Yeah I was so excited about 2012 (love a good end of the world movie) but it really was shocking! Re-watched Deep Impact on tv a few weeks ago and it really holds up better!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lawlor.08

Haven't seen this in a while. Watched it last night it's an enjoyable film with alot of twists

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

lawlor.08 wrote: »
    Haven't seen this in a while. Watched it last night it's an enjoyable film with alot of twists

What film would that be?

Also watched Out of Time last night on tv, hadn't heard of it before not sure if it even made the cinema, it was ok but no great shakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched Edge of Darkness last night, not bad thriller with Mel Gibson but story been done a thousand times before,shady big business types,conspiracy theories etc.Still more watchable than most of the guff out atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Just finished the last episode of 'The Sopranos'. In my opinion the best tv show out there. I urge anyone who has not yet given it a go to do so....NOW! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I watched Shrek - Forever After, which although not as good as the first 2 had lots of laughs and I enjoyed it.
    I also watched Shutter Island, had read the book and loved the movie as much as the book.
    Next I watched The Princess and the Frog! It's an excellent movie by Disney, a throw back to the older features, I would recommend it.

kerash wrote: »
    I watched Shrek - Forever After, which although not as good as the first 2 had lots of laughs and I enjoyed it.
    I also watched Shutter Island, had read the book and loved the movie as much as the book.
    Next I watched The Princess and the Frog! It's an excellent movie by Disney, a throw back to the older features, I would recommend it.

I thought Shutter Island was very well conceived from book to movie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I saw Ip Man and Ip Man 2 recently, pretty cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Just watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail for the first time, my first MP as well. I'm slightly disappointed with it but I think that is mainly because I had very high expectations for it and also I watched it alone on my laptop and I think comedies are always better when you watch them with other people!

Still thought it was very good though...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement