Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

watched star trek there really good film although seemed like they were setting up for the second one cant wait for that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The Losers

Based on a comic book (of which I will be looking into) of the same name, The Losers is, to make is short and simple, very like The A-Team. Well the movie is anyway. Although I felt it had a twinge of Mission Impossible about it as well.

The movie stars Jeffrey Dean Morgan who you may remember as The Comedian in Watchmen, Zoe Saldana (Avatar) and a brilliant Chris Evans. Idris "Stringer Bell" Elba and Jason Patric complete a great ensemble cast.

I dont really want to delve into the, very basic, plot because thats not really the highlight here. What stood out is how the cast bounced off each other and some brilliant one-liners and quirky humour. The action is simple and explosive; without being ridiculously graphic. Quite a nice break from action movies trying to out gore each other. It also and has some genuinely cool scenes.

Overall, its silly and childish and you'll roll your eyes plenty of times but if it doesnt make you smile or put you in a good mood after watching it then you are far too cynical for your own good.

Highly recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Javelin77

Sometimes in april. Anything made by HBO Is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

Watched Castaway last night, Wilson!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Watched The Hurt Locker today. Thought it was good, but I felt there was something lacking in the story. Didn't quite live up to the hype for me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

The A-Team.

A promising start, but turned out to be a let down, which was no surprise tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

The A-Team.

A promising start, but turned out to be a let down, which was no surprise tbh.

I watched it last night. I was expecting pure crap but it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. I'd recommend it for people who enjoyed the original
    although
    people do get shot and die in this version :D
    If you remember the series the movie is about same level (intellectually).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Watching Kingdom Of Heaven with Orlando Bloom and it amazes me that Troy and Alexander are so much better known it's a brilliant movie well directed and Bloom was fantastic in it definetly recommend to anyone that was dissapointed with Troy and Alexander

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched Clash of the Titans last night (the remake) It's actually better in 2D than 3D - the upscaling to 3D in the cinema made it look terrible in parts but the blu ray is a lot better.Must catch the original again,loved it when I was young.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

green zone - 6/10 - pretty decent but i wouldn't watch it again
    youth in revolt - 2/10 - rubbish
    remember me - 9/10 - i really like it and esp at the end (although controversial)
    when in rome - 7/10 - I loved the actress which could be why i have given a biased opinion. Its a chick flick and very predictable thought. nice easy film if bored

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The Damned United

Loved it a lot, as it showed a grittier edge to the beautiful game and reminds us now (in an era of diving and faking injuries) that there was once a game where knee-crunching tackles and violence were part and parcel of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Got Shutter Island last night and i have to say a fantastic show with all the twists you'd expect from scorcese. Caprio in all fairness played his role like a genius !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

watched the shawshank redemption today while recovering from last night, still a brilliant watch, 10/10

saw twilight new moon there last week, i think the acting leaves a lot to be desired, but there is a fairly decent story being told, its a new play on old stories, as i said the story is good just acted poorly, 6/10

saw killers, deffinately no oscar material here, basic enough plot i half predicted what was up early enough, still a nice bit of fun, 5/10

saw case 39, a well above average thriller, 7/10

and just watched the first film of the stieg larsson millenium series, the girl with the dragon tatoo, very decent show, and im really looking forward to watching the other 2 during the week, 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Watching Kingdom Of Heaven with Orlando Bloom and it amazes me that Troy and Alexander are so much better known it's a brilliant movie well directed and Bloom was fantastic in it definetly recommend to anyone that was dissapointed with Troy and Alexander

That is weird, that's the film I came on here to say I watched last night. I watched the director's cut, which let me tell you, had me in a kingdom of heaven (I am sooo sorry).
    The director's cut is far far better than the original release which is basically just a waste of time. It just gives the story time to breath, the subplots and sub characters and whatnot.
    It turned the film from mediocre to masterpiece. One of the best epics I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them. The more I think of it the better it gets.
    Any film that is so good that I don't have time to cop what an annoying waste of **** juice Orlando Bloom is has to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

That is weird, that's the film I came on here to say I watched last night. I watched the director's cut, which let me tell you, had me in a kingdom of heaven (I am sooo sorry).
    The director's cut is far far better than the original release which is basically just a waste of time. It just gives the story time to breath, the subplots and sub characters and whatnot.
    It turned the film from mediocre to masterpiece. One of the best epics I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot of them. The more I think of it the better it gets.
    Any film that is so good that I don't have time to cop what an annoying waste of **** juice Orlando Bloom is has to be good.

I might check that out because I actually fell asleep in the cinema watching the regular one. And I never fall asleep watching films (apart from spderman 2)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Religulous - ''Documentary'' from Bill Maher and his take on religion. Not really a serious documentary, just an excuse for Bill to highlight the stupidity of religion in general. A good watch though in fairness.

Knowing - I wasn't expecting good things when I watched this due to some of the reviews it's received, but I actually thought it was pretty good. Perfect Sunday afternoon viewing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Invictus - best film I have seen in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The A-Team, stupid but fun. Not to be taken any way seriously whatsoever but its got enough nods to the original series to keep fans happy and theres some decent if completely OTT action sequences, Sharlto Copley is brilliant as Murdoch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

Invictus - best film I have seen in a long time.

I found Invictus a little..boring, might be in the minority here though. It was very well shot and acted but I was a little underwhelmed by it...

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

Lost In Translation - Had high expectations of the film going in and i have to say i really enjoyed. There is just a vibe about the film that just really worked well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Very silly movie but enjoyable nonetheless. I didn't know if they were going to go the fallen hero, school named after him route or the "whoooooo he made it" route until the last minute.

It is very long though. Quite a lot happens in it which I was not expecting.

Watched that for the first time last night and I thought it was quite enjoyable too. If I'd known it was such a long movie though I probably wouldnt have put it on but saying that it I dont think it felt like 2.5 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Javelin77

Billy elliot . Well next time i have to listen to my gf when she recommend a movie. I didn't watch it before cos she mentioned ballet dancing. But it turned out to be a real nice social movie not a poof ballet movie. 9/10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

watched a documentary last night called devils playground about the amish teenagers who have a right of passage and go wild on drink and drugs before deciding if they want to be amish quite interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_Playground_(film)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i watched shutter island best film of the year so far for me 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Finally got around to watching Donnie Darko last night. Very interesting movie, was surprised seeing Maggie Gylnnhall (sp?) and Seth Rogan in the film. Part highschool movie, part time dialation movie, pretty engaging, does a good job explaining the premise of the film and Donnie's role. I'm sure everyone's seen it at this stage but it's worth watching. Patrick Swayze (sp?) is great as Jim Cunningham. I don't think you'd get much out of a second viewing, though.

The 'sh1t is going down' music is really cool; although i found the eye-flashing-cuts to really contrast the movie, and a little overuse of the same camera angle, but focus on someone in the background technique! That's all nit-picking, the movie is worth seeing, i'd recommend.

Really funny line at the start of the film,
    "go suck a f*ck!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

just saw The-A-Team, probably one of the most OTT, leave you brain at the door, splosion fests i have ever seen, and ive seen all of them by now,

7 outta 10 for the whole film, 10 outta 10 for entertainment, fool:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Got bored, so watched My Super Ex-Girlfriend on TV earlier. The stereotypical rom-com soundtrack had me groaning at first, but it got better. I don't need much of an excuse to watch Uma Thurman chewing the scenery and
    throwing sharks through 20th-floor windows
    . "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned", unless the woman in question has super-powers: then you're truly screwed. Eddie Izzard doesn't make a very convincing straight guy, but they did manage to sneak in a reference to Uma's freakishly-large-but-beautiful feet. :)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for the first time ever today.

It will NOT be the last, loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I have recently watched the Back To The Future trilogy again, classic. Also watched Independence Day again, what a great film.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Watched Extract and The Crazies(2009) the last 2 nights.

Extract is from Mike Judge, it's no office space by a long shot but it was still retty funny.

The Crazies was pretty good as horror remakes go, tense, well made and characters you actually care about which makes all the difference in a horror movie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement