Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Watched the Damned United again last night-enjoyed it.Michael Sheen did a good job as Brian Clough. Boo Dirty Leeds!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Toy Story 3 - Won the tickets on here (thanks lads ;) )
    I have to say I loved this movie. Really fitting end, (what I hope is the end, don't ruin it, leave it be) to a great story. Some really touching parts in this movie, even though it's a kids movie, I could feel myself getting a little choked up. 10/10

Hot Tub Time Machine - Does exactly what it says on the tin. Leave your brain at the door and don't be expecting miracles. Nice nod to BTTF with George Mc Fly in it :D
    Some good laughs and worth a watch if only for Craig Robinson 7/10

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭purple_hatstand

zerks wrote: »
    Watched the Damned United again last night-enjoyed it.Martin Sheen did a good job as Brian Clough. Boo Dirty Leeds!:D

That would be Michael Sheen....although Martin Sheen as Cloughie would be worth a look...:D

The Damned United is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Viewed the original Dracula (1931) last night. It starts off really well and has that certain sense of old world atmosphere that modern films lack. Of course it isnt frightening at all but its enjoyable. The second half of the film set in London is too long but its still a pretty good film. Not as good as Frankenstein (a masterpiece) or Dr. Jeykll or Mr Hyde both from the same year as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills (1996)

Documentary about three "satanic" teenagers that were arrested a tried for the murder of three children in Arkansas in 1993. HBO were granted pretty much unlimited access to the whole trial, the lawyers and families on both sides.

It is scary, saddening, infuriating and appalling to see the events of the trial unfold. It's a confirmation of stereotypes and damning evidence of the corrupt nature of this backwater town's legal system/proceedings.

Bear in mind though, it contains graphic footage (i.e. the crime scene video/pictures) and it's 2 & 1/2 hours long (I guess HBO wanted to include everything, that or they didn't have editing facilities) but it is interesting. The production quality is extremely raw.

Highly recommended watching. There is a follow-up documentary (2000) that I'm going to watch now.
    I just watched this, was pretty good but I do like my documentaries to have a narrative.

Being honest
    I was half expecting a not guilty verdict, especially when it came to Jason Baldwin, it really did seem like he was found guilty by association! A lot of evidence was very circumstantial. Not to mention John Mark Byers who came across very badly during his testimony regarding the knife, he seems like a scary guy and it's no surprise he was rumoured to be a suspect.

Anyhoo, I'm going to watch the second part now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

'Time-crimes' Spanish sci-fi...solid little film, deals with the downside of time travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

insomnia- I'm incredibly disappointed with this film. I love Nolan's work but this was just missing something. It had no originality as far as i could see. Thats just my opinion anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Gerty wrote: »
    insomnia- I'm incredibly disappointed with this film. I love Nolan's work but this was just missing something. It had no originality as far as i could see. Thats just my opinion anyhow.

Nolan didnt write it and its a remake

Yes i do know its a remake. Nolan's work because he did direct it. If you're going to put it in that context then, i'll say i don't know why he decided to revisit it as i didn't think it was a particularly gripping story. In my opinion it was just underwhelming and since i love everything else i've seen from from nolan i just expected more.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Yes i do know its a remake. Nolan's work because he did direct it. If you're going to put it in that context then, i'll say i don't know why he decided to revisit it as i didn't think it was a particularly gripping story. In my opinion it was just underwhelming and since i love everything else i've seen from from nolan i just expected more.

Lemme rephrase. This is the only one of Nolans films where he didnt write it aswell so thats why it would stand out as 'different' to his other films

• Advertisement

The Big Lebowski - No better way to finish a film filled day procrastinating. Sheer brilliance. In my top 5 films and definitely my top comedy. I think films like anchorman and that whole type don't even come close. The amount of times i've watched this without getting bored. I doubt i could do this with any other film. I'm always finding different lines and things to pick up on. Its a shame it didn't get the credit it deserved at the time of its release. But i guess its not for everyone.

Essay word count - 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

The Big Lebowski - No better way to finish a film filled day procrastinating. Sheer brilliance. In my top 5 films and definitely my top comedy. I think films like anchorman and that whole type don't even come close. The amount of times i've watched this without getting bored. I doubt i could do this with any other film. I'm always finding different lines and things to pick up on. Its a shame it didn't get the credit it deserved at the time of its release. But i guess its not for everyone.

Essay word count - 0.
    A very smart... very well written film..with one of my favourites Jeff bridges...the cast gelled perfectly in this one...The Brothers have knocked out some very solid flicks and always seems to get the best from their cast and crew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Hot Tub Time Machine

- worst in a while, just didn't find it funny and there's nothing after that

Clash of the Titans

- alright enough if you're into that sort of thing

All Gone Pete Tong

- very good

Book Of Eli

- quite good but the end made it all so unbelievable and silly

Green Zone

- pretty ok but probably expected too much being a Matt Damon fan and all

Dantes Inferno

- erm...

Moon

- excellent, seriously

The Greatest Game Ever Played

- very good golf movie

Anyone seen 'Love Exposure'? It's a lot of film and it got great reviews but I'm weary about a four hour affair with subtitles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 annabie

Confession of a shopaholic
    Brides war
    Penelope
    Eclipse
    Prince of Persia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

INCEPTION-brilliant film. Well acted and excellent concept.

Saw the Invention of Lying on DVD recently-again a great concept but not as well scripted. Alternative reality where nobody is capable of lying and the main character invents it with humorous consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brendog

Inception....definitly one of the best films I've ever seen! Stanley Kubrick mind **** by Christopher Nolan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Insomnia - Thought it was alright, Nolan's weakest IMO but still not a bad film. Makes me want to visit Alaska for some bizarre reason!:o

The Prestige - Loved this, my one issue is that
    the story doesn't come together without having to resort to science fiction with the duplicating machine.
    That aside though, I thought it was a cracking story with a good cast.

The Dark Knight - Watched this last night. Great film:) Looking forward to sequel already but it hit me last night that when that comes out I'll be finished college and facing into the real world. Scary stuff! Loved reading about the little details on IMDb today, Nolan is a very clever filmmaker IMO.

Memento - Ya, there's a bit of a theme developing here:p Brilliant idea and very well executed, will definitely watch again in not too distant future.

Watched all the above before I go to Inception this weekend. Also watched bits of Batman Begins on Sky over the weekend!

Fargo - Absolutely loved this. Thought the dialogue was brilliant in the such a typical Coen way. If the accent is an accurate representation of North Dakotan/Minnesotan people then God help them!:pac: Again, the bleak landscape looked really appealing to me!!

Raising Arizona - Brilliant comedy, brilliant performance by Cage and some excellent pieces of dialogue.

A Serious Man - Made a lot more sense after I read the thread about it on here. Liked this movie, it definitely is one you have to think about so watching it in bed before going to sleep was probably not the greatest idea:p

So after a year after watching hardly any films, I've gone on a bit of an overload recently. Have the Big Lebowski and No Country for Old Men lying around on DVD, gonna watch them soon as well:)

Charles Darwin and the Tree of Life - Excellent documentary on evolution, narrated by David Attenborough

Leaves of Grass - Edward Norton playing twins, supposedly a comedy but it's really not. Not a bad movie but I really lost interest and ended up turning it off.

Twelve Rounds - John Cena in a brainless action flick. Exactly what I wanted and exactly what I got.

The Ghost Writer - Really enjoyable political thriller, well made and nicely paced. Worth a watch imo.

Paradise Lost 2 - Follow up to the first documentary on the murders of three 8 year old boys in West Memphis. I recommend the first and if you do watch it then this follow up is a must see.

24 hour party people.

Who framed Roger Rabbit.

Who framed Roger Rabbit > 24 hour party people.

Drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Hitcher (1986) Accept no remakes. Rutger Hauer is just awesome isn't he? Like Paul Newmans evil kid brother. C Thomas Howell actually does pretty well not to get overwhelmed when they share the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭BlandKitten

Silence of the Lambs
    -I don't know why I waited for so long to see this. It's a fantastic film and definitely deserving as one of the greatest out there. I have yet to see another psychological horror film better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭applehunter

Boyz n the Hood : Long time since I watched this. Good show. Makes Dontbeamennacetosouth.... even funnier. "Message"

Executive Decision : America **** Yeah...Great performance by Segal.

Man about Dog : Like an Irish Guy Richie movie. Moved along at a fast pace and some good laughs in it.

Mum and Dad : Low budget Brittish horror movie. Basically a Fred West is brought back to life on the silver screen. Didn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Haha, love the idea of someone turning off Leaves of Grass and sitting through an entire showing of Twelve Rounds. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,031 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

ashyle wrote: »
    yeah it's totally a drama. I was expecting a silly comedy cos Ryan Reynolds is in it, so I was pleasantly surprised!

Same goes for "funny people"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

District 9: Had been looking forward to this for months before it came out in the cinema then never got around to seeing it. Picked it up on Blu Ray for cheap and it looks great. Good choice for the lead character not to be your typical looking hero. Thought the first hour had a really decent blend of action, drama and comedy but for the last half hour or so it just descends into stereotypical action fodder, but definitely worth a look.

Inception: Went to see this at the first showing on Friday morning and wanted to take a little time to get my head around it before posting about it. Now after reading all the posts in the Inception thread I need some time to get my head around them before posting anything about it.

Shrek 4: Shocking how far this franchise has dropped. I know Dreamworks has a lot of haters but I always found the first Shrek good for a few laughs and How to train your Dragon was a step in the right direction but this last outing for their flagship character was extremely disappointing.

Currently making my way through Avatar the last Airbender Season 1 in preperation of the bastardised film version. Filmwise I have The Road and Eagle eye lined up along with a trip to see Toy Story 3.

Zodiac - Just finished on RTE1. What a fantastic movie! This was my 2nd viewing and it was just as good as, if not better, than the first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The Crazies - fairly pointless, mediocre remake. My major issue with it was that it did absolutely nothing original or surprising. It just played through the 'small town disaster movie' cliches without a hint of imagination. It did nothing new, and felt far too long even at 90 minutes. Mindless and harmless, but there's far better takes on the ideas out there. Even Arachnaphobia :pac:

The Umbrellas of Cherbourg - a fun, well directed French New Wave musical starring Catherine Devenue. As someone who isn't a fan of musicals, this works well, mainly because of the vibrant visuals / direction (by Jacques Demy) and absolutely astonishing soundtrack by Michel Legrand. The story works well too - initially appearing to be a typical Hollywood romance, it soon takes some surprisingly realistic twists, while never losing the sense of fun or imagination. Every line of dialogue is sung, which is very unusual. It's pretty different from the likes of Godard and Truffaut, but it's optimistic tone is welcome. You're watching for the music, which is just superb.

Edit: huh, post 5000 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Zodiac - Just finished on RTE1. What a fantastic movie! This was my 2nd viewing and it was just as good as, if not better, than the first.

yes good movie, pity it didn't have a conclusive ending and having done some research on the web it is claimed that the prime suspect Arthur Leigh Allen was innocent :confused:

fryup wrote: »
    yes good movie, pity it didn't have a conclusive ending and having done some research on the web it is claimed that the prime suspect Arthur Leigh Allen was innocent :confused:
    The evidence was circumstantial but the sheer volume of it is pretty hard to ignore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

The evidence was circumstantial but the sheer volume of it is pretty hard to ignore.

great movie alright

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement