Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Feck, I'd have sky plussed Zodiac if I'd known it was on, would like to watch that again...

Watched All the President's Men Last Night, very good film with good performances all round. As an added bonus, I know have some idea what Watergate was all about (I'm a bit of a lost cause when it comes to history). Might try watch Frost/Nixon soon as well!!

Watched the Life of Brian the night before, loved it!:) So many pop culture references now make sense to me! Loved the whole Messiah sequence. Preferred it to the Holy Grail, and will be seeking out the Meaning of Life in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

yerayeah wrote: »
    Feck, I'd have sky plussed Zodiac if I'd known it was on, would like to watch that again...

Watched All the President's Men Last Night, very good film with good performances all round. As an added bonus, I know have some idea what Watergate was all about (I'm a bit of a lost cause when it comes to history). Might try watch Frost/Nixon soon as well!!

Watched the Life of Brian the night before, loved it!:) So many pop culture references now make sense to me! Loved the whole Messiah sequence. Preferred it to the Holy Grail, and will be seeking out the Meaning of Life in due course.

Frost / Nixon is quite good and gives a decentish overview of the bad stuff Nixon got up to.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Exam – This one came out last year but it was mentioned on Bloody Disgusting a few times recently and it sounded interesting so I grabbed it.

There are 8 candidates for a (mystery) job. The film starts out with the 8 (4 men and 4 women) being led into an exam hall. They are instructed that they will now sit an exam to decide who gets the job. They are given some cryptic instructions on how to proceed in the exam and told to turn over their papers. They flip them over and, surprise, they are blank. They have to work out what the question is before they can answer it. Do they work together, should they split into factions, why does the invigilator have a gun etc?

This was OK up to a certain point but the wrap up is terrible. The concept was pretty smart and it held my attention even thought it was set in a single room but there’s a bit at the end where all the good work of the previous 80 minutes is undone. 4/10

Universal Soldier: Regeneration

Dolph, JCVD and Chernobyl, an explosive mix for sure. The plot here isn’t really important. Some baddies are holding some children hostage in Chernobyl and they have a bomb. The army have gone in and have had their collective asses handed to them so the World sends in JCVD.

This was properly excellent. The action was fast and really well shot. The acting is pretty decent from all concerned and the production values are quite high for what is a straight to DVD release. Michael Bay should be forced to watch this to learn how to shoot and edit an action sequence. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

budgemook wrote: »
    Frost / Nixon is quite good and gives a decentish overview of the bad stuff Nixon got up to.

Try Secret Honor too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    Exam – This one came out last year but it was mentioned on Bloody Disgusting a few times recently and it sounded interesting so I grabbed it.

There are 8 candidates for a (mystery) job. The film starts out with the 8 (4 men and 4 women) being led into an exam hall. They are instructed that they will now sit an exam to decide who gets the job. They are given some cryptic instructions on how to proceed in the exam and told to turn over their papers. They flip them over and, surprise, they are blank. They have to work out what the question is before they can answer it. Do they work together, should they split into factions, why does the invigilator have a gun etc?

This was OK up to a certain point but the wrap up is terrible. The concept was pretty smart and it held my attention even thought it was set in a single room but there’s a bit at the end where all the good work of the previous 80 minutes is undone. 4/10

I wanted to watch this one a lot, thought it sounded really interesting, but now I'm not so sure if I'll bother!

Finally watched In Bruges, it was ok but I thought it was going to be superb so was a little underwhelmed

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Blood & Bone: Martial Arts movie with Michael Jai White in the lead. Reminded me of A.W.O.L. Not as good but has some solid fight scenes. MJW is a beast!!

Slither: Decent b-movie style ''horror''. Nathan Fillon is in it so that's enough for me to watch it (not in a gay way or anything:)). Not great but passes the time sufficiently.

Black Hawk Down: Saw it when it came out and hadn't seen it since, literally couldn't remember a thing about it. Really well shot with an epic cast list. A little overrated imo though.

Universal Soldier - Regeneration: Not too bad, could have been a lot better.

Tremors: Classic

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I Love You Phillip Morris - greatly enjoyed this one. Not amazing or anything, but very good fun, and subversive in its own little way. The story is just so ludicrous (and true!) it keeps you engaged throughout, and further proof Jim Carrey is a talented bastard when he isn't hamming it up in crap.

Still Walking - Ozu-esque Japanese film about a family gathering. Slow paced, relaxed, and lacking any sort of excess, it's still very engaging indeed with well drawn characters and themes (family, coming to terms with a loved one's death etc...). Very effective indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

a

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Black Narcissus, beautiful, compelling technicolour classic from the insurmountable Powell and Pressburger. Glorious setting, based on the novel by Rumer Godden. A group of nuns attempt to establish a convent in a remote, abandoned palace in the Himalayas, but in the surreal surroundings the temptations of the flesh previously repressed come to challenge their 'divine' natures. Wonderful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Garage - Has given me a new found respect for Pat Short. I thought it was excellent! It was realistic and moving, I used to work at a pumps just like that and know characters like him who sometimes get the piss taken.
    It really worked in my eyes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

turned off 'youth in revolt':pac:

boring

philip morris, a bit man on man, but a good dvd

waiting for robin hood to come into xtravision

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Perrier's Bounty
    Apparently man everyone from Ireland man talks like Colin Farrell man. And Dublin's criminal underwold are a very eloquent and verbose bunch. Jim Broadbent seems to have learnt his Irish accent by watching Darby O'Gill instead of by listening to the actual Irish actors around him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Gladiator: brilliant film, with some of the best quotes from a film...

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

"Am I not merciful?!?!"

"My name is Gladiator"

"They tell me you son.... squealed like a girl, when they nailed him to the cross. They tell me your wife... moaned like a whore, as they ravaged her again. And again. And again."

and the best one ever:
    "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions. Servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance... in this life or the next."

As if those epic quotes weren't enough, the acting, the set direction, everything is of absolute top quality and makes this modern epic a beauty to behold. Highly recommended.

10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Innerspace, god I love this movie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Finally got around to watching the remake of Clash Of The Titans last night. Rented out the blu ray and settled back to watch it.

Must say that rarely have I watched a film where so many actors phoned in their performances, and Worthington was even more wooden than normal.

It was not an awful film, but felt very rushed and left me feeling that it had been cut to a large degree.

Am quite surprised that it seems to be the first film of a trilogy as well, with Clash Of The Titans II due to start filming in January.

Could have been a much better film. Would rate it a 6/10 film at best.

Am hoping for much better fare tonight as I will be getting around to yet another film I should have seen a long time ago. Moon.

Clash of the Titans wasnt awful, but it wasnt good either, it was...soulless i guess? just felt really rushed and too much bluescreen instead of actual locations, I liked the scenes in the desert as at least they looked like they were shot outdoors, but everything else just had a fake look to it, the kracken was awesome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

I decided to see The Karate Kid (2010) yesterday and I actually liked it.

I was a bit worried going in about the length which at a 2 hours 20 minutes seemed like a lot but it didnt feel like a long movie which was a plus since at the very least it means I was kept entertained during it. I do think it would have worked better if Jaden Smith was a bit older as in some scenes he looked tiny and the level of the fighting looked fairly vicious and possibly even more so given his size/age but saying that I do think it worked. On the fighting, it looked very impressive so whoever did the choreography for that did a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Watched Doom on Friday night. Such a missed opportunity. The game was about horror/violence and humour. This film is very weak in both areas. They try to emulate the creeping dread of the Doom 3 games. Lots of sneaking around in dark corridors with only a flashlight, but it falls flat on its face. At no point do you actually feel abit jumpy. The effects are also laughably poor. As far as I could tell, there was no CGI used for the monsters effects, just what seemed to be large men in rubber costumes!

To top it all off you have to endure The Rock doing his "IM A REAL HARD ASS AND YOU'RE GOING TO DO WHAT I SAY" routine, complete with optional raised eyebrow!

A scifi film about an outbreak of hell demons on a Martian research outpost could be really class. But this is just the lowest common denominator.............if even that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

DazMarz wrote: »
    Gladiator: brilliant film, with some of the best quotes from a film...

"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

"Am I not merciful?!?!"

"My name is Gladiator"

"They tell me you son.... squealed like a girl, when they nailed him to the cross. They tell me your wife... moaned like a whore, as they ravaged her again. And again. And again."

and the best one ever:
    "My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions. Servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance... in this life or the next."

As if those epic quotes weren't enough, the acting, the set direction, everything is of absolute top quality and makes this modern epic a beauty to behold. Highly recommended.

10/10

my favourite movie of the last decade by far

Splice - First hour is alright, then it gets REALLY stupid.

Death at a Funeral (2007) - Alan Tudyk makes this movie! Without him it would be a bland mediocre comedy. Other than that, a pleasant movie containing a good few laughs and 2 scenes which had me in hysterics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

irishh_bob wrote: »
    my favourite movie of the last decade by far

I agree. Its not really cool to like Gladiator. Its too mainstream and in your face for alot of film snobs. But fcuk it, it ticks alot of the boxes for a great film. Great direction, great casting, good pacing, a gripping story that really makes you care about the character, amazing special FX, even 10 years on, a wonderful score that just sticks in the mind and makes the experience so much more engaging. It really excels in so many areas.

Havent seen it in 6 or 7 years. Cant wait to finally get the full HD TV around Xmas. Hopefully by then they'll have re-released a remastered bluray to make up for the disaster of the current one.

Agricola wrote: »
    Its not really cool to like Gladiator.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Gladiator is a bit boring tbh. Defo overrated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Young Guns 1 & 2 (two nights). Not 100% historically, but man I love these films. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Gladiator is a quality flick but that speech yer one gives at the end is toe curlingly bad.

"He was a solider of Wome. Honor him"

Oh **** off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

District 13 - French "Escape from New York meets Children of Men with a big bomb" type flick. Not bad but too showy really, the stunts needed to look more plauisble and less cartoony to be truely effective and the ending a bit pat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

mike65 wrote: »
    District 13 - French "Escape from New York meets Children of Men with a big bomb" type flick. Not bad but too showy really, the stunts needed to look more plauisble and less cartoony to be truely effective and the ending a bit pat.
    It was the first big parkour movie, I think, so the stunts are cartoony specifically to show off that style (which itself often looks kind of cartoony).

I agree. Its not really cool to like Gladiator. Its too mainstream and in your face for alot of film snobs.

Erm, what?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

mike65 wrote: »
    Watched it again last night,as a pure action movie it's hard to fault,even with subtitles.The stunts were performed by the actors who are experts in Parkour(free running) and look the part,no green screen there.Might watch the sequel tonight,been meaning to for ages. But comparing it to Children of Men? It's far too much fun and over the top for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I mean the sh1t hole subclass v state aspect.

The pacing was a bit off for me, "Escape...." shows how to do an episodic plot, you need "chapter headings" that is to say a period where things slow for a while so you can crank things back up, D13 was a bit one-note in that respect.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement