Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

watched the untouchables on rte2 the other day. First time i saw it. Alot more fun than i thought it would be but it seems pretty dated now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Contact - Brilliant

Inglorious Basterds - So many brilliant scenes but I can't help but feel the film as a whole is a little over rated. Still pretty good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Cemetary Junction - absolutely brillant!

Gervais and Merchant really are some of the finest writers working out there today.. and the Karl Pilkington cameo mid-way through was great! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, I watched Bob Roberts, as planned ... half of it with my jaw dropped. I'd heard people talk about Tim Robbins' politics before, and now I see why, considering that he wrote and directed it as well as starring. Got a pretty good singing voice too, and totally convincing as the ultimate corrupt right-wing politician. Scary.

It's interesting to see how Bob Roberts used his songs to sweeten his message, to overcome his abrasive personality - in other words, he comes across best on a stage, and what is politics but a big stage? Some of those lyrics were just too scary, especially the last song about the (first) Iraq war, the lines about "retaking the Holy Land" (i.e. a new Crusade). :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Went to see this today with the family.They all loved it,and i was suprised it was'nt half bad.IMO its better than the original and Jackie Chan showed he can do a bit of acting when he wants.
    Well worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

basquille wrote: »
    Cemetary Junction - absolutely brillant!

Gervais and Merchant really are some of the finest writers working out there today.. and the Karl Pilkington cameo mid-way through was great! :D

I'm glad someone else spotted Pilkington - it's the most random, literally blink and you'll miss it cameo I've come across!

Was only so-so on the film (it's good without being amazing IMO), but definitely a big improvement over Invention of Lying and Ghost Town for Gervais. I really think Merchant is the more focused of the two!

I'm glad someone else spotted Pilkington - it's the most random, literally blink and you'll miss it cameo I've come across!
    The incredibly OTT tache is a dead giveaway! :D
    Was only so-so on the film (it's good without being amazing IMO), but definitely a big improvement over Invention of Lying and Ghost Town for Gervais. I really think Merchant is the more focused of the two!
    Yeah, I've been saying that Merchant doesn't get nearly enough credit for years now. Even in the podcast, he's much funnier than Gervais for one-liners to Karl.

I really 'Cemetary Junction'.. no, it wasn't anything particularly new but to it excelled in it's writing and cast. The writing was strong, and I didn't think there was a single weak link in that cast. All great performances, but particularly Steve Spiers (Sargent Davies) who I thought put in a cracking performance for such a small role.

It felt like the polar opposite to the similarly marketed dreary bore-fest of 'Nowhere Boy'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

White Heat - one of the greatest gangster/heist films of all time. Jimmy Cagney is immense in one of his greatest roles as the unhinged and Oedipal armed robber Cody Jarrett. This film is over 60 years old, but is still brilliant, gripping and filled with tension; makes a mockery of some of the dirge that is rolled out these days.

Also contains one of the most memorable lines in cinematic history: "Made it, Ma! Top of the world!"

A stone cold classic. 10/10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Just finished watching Serenity , gorram I loved that show and that film .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus is on the sci fi channel now.......im in stitches laughing, so bad its good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

watched Munich yesterday, great movie but thought they could have ended it better. Very good cast, Eric Bana can act, despite some of the other films he has made ie the Hulk. and Ciarán Hinds is a ledge-bag! :D

plan to watch Frost Nixon 2moro.

Gamer - Pretty fúcking awful tbh. I think the director was on acid for half of the filming.

Karate Kid 2010 - I have no idea why this is getting such a bad response on this board, I thought it was brilliant! It's essentially the same as the original with a better location, better direction, better acting, better actors & better fighting. What exactly is the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.not to bad never going to beat the book though.i wonder what the u.s verison will be like.
    LAW ABIDING CITIZEN.not a great film but watchable its was a bit all over the place.has any one seen brothers if so what is it like.The worst film this week for me was funny people pure tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Watched Broken Flowers again over the weekend. For me it's one of Bill Murray's finest. The whole things plays out at a snails pace but never fails to be engrossing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Just finished watching Mesrine: Killer Instinct again. Enjoyed it just as much as the first time. Vincent Cassel may well be the finest actor on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Gamer - Pretty fúcking awful tbh. I think the director was on acid for half of the filming.

Karate Kid 2010 - I have no idea why this is getting such a bad response on this board, I thought it was brilliant! It's essentially the same as the original with a better location, better direction, better acting, better actors & better fighting. What exactly is the problem?
    Agreed. I was expecting it to be awful, but it was really, really enjoyable. One of the better remakes of recent times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Yah, I kept looking around during that scene trying to see if he'd pop up again. But no, just the one short, gormless look from him!

I thought it was a great film too. Like basquille says, Merchant is entirely under-appreciated. He's a much sharper wit than Gervais and a real talent for seeing the absurd in the mundane.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Just finished watching 'Tru blood' season one..a little drawn out at times, but good none the less..good auld HBO:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

From Paris With Love

awful, awful, awful

Tristram wrote: »
    From Paris With Love

awful, awful, awful
    I tried to watch it on a flight to Miami in June.. made it 10 minutes through and fell asleep.

Tried to watch it again on the return trip and fell asleep 20 minutes in.

Not a good sign! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Cobra'

80's tastic rubbish and entertaining for all the wrong reasons. "Cobra" is a tough cop in a city (and script) gone bad. Some awful, awful stuff in this, but great for an 80's fix.

"You're the disease and I'm the cure"

Ha ha...feck off Sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

ultain wrote: »
    'Night of the hunter' (Cape fear was the remake of this) Brilliant film..Dark moody & broody..Highly recommend.

Cape Fear (1991) is a remake of Cape Fear (1962).

Night of the Hunter (1955) is a completely different film altogether. The only film Charles Laughton directed. Thank Christ, cos personally I thought it was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Solomon Kane - that was pretty decent. Nice atmospheric settings and James Purefoy was pretty good in it.

The A-team - It was trashy fun on a par with GI Joe of last year. Patrick Wilson was the best thing in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alexandra7

2012...great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Tristram wrote: »
    From Paris With Love

awful, awful, awful

As bad as it is, Travolta is fukkin dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Karate Kid remake, its actually not bad at all, way too long at 2hrs 20mins but the fights are surprisingly brutal for movie aimed at kids, and the training scenes and shots of China are excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

alexandra7 wrote: »
    2012...great
    krudler wrote: »
    The Karate Kid remake, its actually not bad at all, way too long at 2hrs 20mins but the fights are surprisingly brutal for movie aimed at kids, and the training scenes and shots of China are excellent.

i liked that new film thought it was great
    fluke wrote: »
    Solomon Kane - that was pretty decent. Nice atmospheric settings and James Purefoy was pretty good in it.

The A-team - It was trashy fun on a par with GI Joe of last year. Patrick Wilson was the best thing in it.

whats soloman kane like ?? i want to watch it , i would of loved hugh jackmen to play the part , the trailer reminds me of van helsing

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Watched Army Of Darkness last night, one of the films I'd been meaning to watch again for years and years.

It's naff, not as good as the other 2 but it has it's moments. Still some classic Raimi bits in it. Bruce "The Chin" Campbell is still awesome, though.

I haven't been a fan of Raimi's stuff of the past few years so I'm a bit worried what he'll throw up with Evil Dead 4. Still, all anyone cares about is how much abuse Bruce will get this time around. :pac:

2001: A Space Odyssey

*deep breath*

This was my first time watching the movie, I had attempted to watch it on more than one occasion when I was younger, but patience was never a virtue of mine, so I never quite made it all the way through. In fact, I don't think I ever got past 30 minutes.:o

In terms of innovation, this is probably one of the best, if not the best, movie ever. It's actually quite scary how ahead of its time this was.

I liked almost every aspect of the movie...almost. The pacing was fine, it's not hard to understand why some people would have a problem with it though. The music is fantastic and some of the longer drawn out sequences were absolutely beautiful. The best ''Act'' would be ''Jupiter Mission''. Who'd have thought 20 minutes of breathing could be so enthralling? HAL is now one of my favourite characters ever!:)

Unfortunately, the first 15 minutes of the next act nearly ruined the movie for me. I just found it all so pointless and it almost made me just turn it off altogether!

When the movie finally ended, I was left feeling a little disappointed by its ambiguity. I don't really like it when movies do that, but I suppose it had the desired effect on me, because I'll be thinking about it for a long time! And in doing so you realise just how good a movie it really is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

whats soloman kane like ?? i want to watch it , i would of loved hugh jackmen to play the part , the trailer reminds me of van helsing

Thats exactly what put me off it, Van Helsing is one of the biggest missed oppurtunites of the decade

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement