Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What have you watched recently?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

network- absolutely brilliant. Spot on and way ahead of it's time. Very relevant today. Zeitgeist- frightening, requires further research.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

zeitgeist does not require further research

it is all bollox.

I just saved you a lot of work, next time you're in Carlow you can guy me a guinness.

just watched Thirst.
    the crazy chick was pretty hot to begin with but after she became a vampire, by god she was epic

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

The Blind Side - 5/5
    Well deserved award for Sandra Bullock for it.

never read the book as one of my colleagues didn't like it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

tommy teirnan -loosed :D:D:D:D:D don be brekin da baba heart :)hahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The X-Files: Fight The Future. I'm a huge X-Files fan anyway, so I did enjoy this film... but the major problem I have with it is that for a viewer who would not be familiar with the characters, the myth-arc, the alien mythology, the black-oil virus and the Syndicate of The X-Files television series, it would be very confusing. As an extended episode of the series, it works. As a stand-alone film, it just about does, but only barely.

The set-pieces involving massive underground labs, huge desert facilities and so on are spectacular. The conspiracy theories (that are expanded upon more in the television series) are excellent...

But I still say that to a casual viewer or to one who was not a devout follower of the series (the film was actually intended to be a bridge between the 5th and 6th series) it would not be something I would recommend. But to a follower of the series, it's a must!

7/10 (purely due to the very narrow demographic of people who would be able to watch it and not be confused!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,901 ✭✭✭✭Basq

DazMarz wrote: »
    The X-Files: Fight The Future
    'Fight The Future' was a masterpiece when compared to 'I Want To Believe'..

** shudder **

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

starship troopers hd a good flim for hd but the acting in this is the worst i have seen in a long time i nearly turned it off.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Cracker'

ITV series from the 90's based in Manchester, about a psychologist that becomes involved with the Greater Manchester Police is solving crimes and interrogating suspects. It starred Robbie Coltraine as the main character, a chain smoking, boozing, irresponsible mess of a man who seems to have failed somewhat in his chosen profession. But, one that's found a new lease of life in his new found role helping the police.

Easilly some of the best television that Britain has ever produced and extremely gritty stuff too. Overall, it spanned just 10 episodes, stretched over 3 series and 2 specials (both of which were spaced 10 years apart!). The writers never shirked away from letting some nasty experiences happen to the main characters too, which created the impression that nobody in the cast was safe.

I believe all of the episodes are on YouTube to watch. Well worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Michael 09 wrote: »
    Taken is a great movie! Banshee Bones I can't believe you didn't have respect for Liam Neeson even prior to seeing this movie!

I said "new found" not that i didnt have any atall!!

:pac:

Recently watched

The Ghost Writer: never heard anything of it prior to watching so was pleasantly surprised.

Up: Sad in parts but I didnt cry like alot of people said I would! Good Animation though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Watched Do the Right Thing last night, don't think I "got" it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭MiloYossarian

Mother-Boon Joon Ho's newest film. It's fantastic. I liked the host, really liked memories of murder and loved this. It's actually better than I expected and I had high hopes going in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

American history X, another great performance by Edward Norton-the mans a genius actor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Splice - rubbish if you like your movies...You can tell what is going to happen in the movie straight away...Acting is woefull aswell

Finally saw The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo last night. Brilliant, Noomi Rapace is stunning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,299 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Attack on Leningrad'

Awful, ham-fisted attempt to put onto film a subject that has been long overdue. The near 900 day siege (or snippet thereof) of Russia's second largest city during World War II should be the ideal premise for an engaging drama, but unfortunately this Russian/British co-production fails on many levels. It isn't interesting, dramatic, correct or entertaining. It also isn't well directed (Aleksandr Buravsky) or acted for the most part, despite having personalities like Gabriel Byrne, Mira Sorvino and Armin Mueller-Stahl in the cast.

The basic story is about Kate Davis (Sorvino), a British journalist reporting from Leningrad, who by circumstance is left in the city when the siege starts in earnest. She seeks shelter with a Communist official, Nina (Olga Sutulova) and a Leningrad family. Together they try and avoid starvation and German bombs, in the hope of getting through the ordeal alive.

However, everything seems uneven, disjointed and somehow half-hearted which is a dreadful shame as it was possible to make a good film with the material at hand.

Other failures include appalling clichés, terrible dialogue, silly sub-plots and some ill-fitting post-production dubbing. Notoriously absent are the Finns, who were responsible for the Northern sector on the Leningrad front and also few and far between are scenes of cannibalism, which was rife throughout the city. As well as that, every bombing attack is carried out by smiling German pilots in BF109 fighters, rendered in sub-par CGI and there are moments of supposed drama and tension that actually made me laugh out loud!

There are some good points, though. The opening scene is rather well done, even if the German panzers are woefully incorrect and the idea pinched from 'Enemy at the Gates'. The Russian and German characters speak Russian and German (for the most part anyway, the Russians can speak incredibly good English when needed!) and Olga Sutulova's performance as the Communist militia (Nina) is rather well done, dwarfing everybody else. Unfortunately, it's just impossible to ignore the film's shortcomings and simply enjoy the story as the amateurish inaccuracies and terrible script (right down to the last scene) invade the enjoyment so overwhelmingly.

War is hell...

...but it isn't half as bad as having to sit through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Napoleon Dynamite, havent watched it in aaaages. Its a real love it or hate it movie, I hated it when I first saw it but on repeated viewings it just got funnier and funnier. didnt get the hype at the time but now I think its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Westworld 1973, before Michael Crichton became the king of the airport lounge blockbuster he made a clutch of thrillers as director and writer/director. Westworld was his first big screen outing (he made a tv movie Pursuit the year before) he makes a pretty decent fist of it. The lightly satirical script works well and the decent into straight faced chase drama is smoothly handled with a climax that James Cameron must have remembered when he was making the Terminator. Needless to say the depiction of robot and computer technology looks every inch 1973 but that unintentional but ineveitable "retro future" aspect adds to the fun in a way.

Westworld proved a bit of a hit and a sequel Futureworld was made 1976 with a belated spin off TV series Beyond Westworld in 1980 which was pulled after just 4 episodes and is all but forgotton.

Yes the remake has been announced, one can see how modern make up and CGI effects could really make a difference but it'll still be rubbish though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

'World's Greatest Dad' with Robin Williams.
    Quite dark but very funny, great performances by the cast especially RW.
    Mrs Doubtfire it ain't!
    Directed by officer zed from police academy (true) and highly recommended.
    Also starting to watch Mad Men from the beginning on bbc2 as I've heard so much about it but missed it first time around.

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    Mrs Doubtfire it ain't!
    Also starting to watch Mad Men from the beginning on bbc2 as I've heard so much about it but missed it first time around.

watched worlds greatest dad there a few months back and i have to say it wasnt what i was expecting !!! but good film

Watched the first 30 minutes of baseline and ended up turning it off. While it's not the worst film ever made the sense of seeing it all before got too much. Not even the fact that my 1st cousin acted in it was enough to keep me interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭budgemook

furiousox wrote: »
    Mrs Doubtfire it ain't!

Yeah didn't he also direct sleeping dogs lie or something like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

Mulholland Drive. It was incredibly compelling but a tad disturbing too. I finished completely confused but having read a review it seems there wasn't really supposed to be a coherent plot so it's all okay. :P

just watched where the wild things are. the start is very slow and boring , but after that it is a great film :) really surprised me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

The start is frantic from what I remember?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

not all of zeitgeist is 8ollocks apparently. But i can't elaborate right now!

Renn wrote: »
    The start is frantic from what I remember?

you talking to me ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

watch distubia the other night on rte2. didnt wait to see the end, it was rubbish.

SarahBM wrote: »
    watch distubia the other night on rte2. didnt wait to see the end, it was rubbish.

i thought it was ok ,nothing major but watchable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

dr ro wrote: »
    not all of zeitgeist is 8ollocks apparently. But i can't elaborate right now!

No, it's all bollocks.

Badly made bollocks at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Valentine's Day. Utter utter drivel. I now detest Ashton Kutcher. How does Demi Moore sleep at night.:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement