Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours' dogs want to move in with me

Options
  • 14-02-2009 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

I have a dog myself, work from home (in the countryside) and we go for walks every day. And every day we pass a house with two small dogs. Terriers, not bigger than a cat. We met them first when they were puppies, my dog gets along famously with them and all would be fine.

But they follow me around, accompany us on our walks and now sit every day in front of my house waiting for me and my dog. They even wait for me when I have to drive away for shopping or such like.
    No, I don't encourage them, don't feed them, but apparently they feel much happier with me and my dog than at home.

The neighbours are gone for the day and sometimes over the weekend. They never walk the dogs just let them run free. One of them is a sheepchaser by the way, so I have to divert my usual walks to areas where there are no sheep.

It sort of seems natural to me that they go where they have human company and walks and frolicking in the garden with my dog and me.
    But they don't belong to me, I might get in trouble with the neighbours who are not very communicative anyway. They know that their dogs go for walks with me, they don't like it, make it very clear but don't do anything about it. Well the mother of the husband once stopped, grabbed one of the dogs, threw it in her car and mumbled "they are better off dead than walking with the likes of you". Don't ask. There are some fierce, bitter and ignorant farmers around.

It breaks my heart when they sit in front of my door, tail wagging, jumping and looking at me with so much hope (or whatever I see into it). But I have to send them away, even if it doesn't help. They stay and treat my place as their home, as in barking at everyone who comes near the house. Which makes my dog barking as well. Mayhem.
    I would take them in if they were strays, but they are just two little dogs who decided they like it better with me.

Any idea or advice what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

try to buy them off the people-money talks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Words fail.

Wonder why they have dogs at all. And we see this so often.

You are doing a truly wonderful job.

God reward you!

You are giving them the company they desperately need, and the affection all dogs crave and have a right to.

They sound beautiful.

It would seem that all you can do is what you are doing.

And yes, ignorant is the word.

Keep on as you are; and stay safe.

Things may change for the better yet.
    palaver wrote: »
    I have a dog myself, work from home (in the countryside) and we go for walks every day. And every day we pass a house with two small dogs. Terriers, not bigger than a cat. We met them first when they were puppies, my dog gets along famously with them and all would be fine.

But they follow me around, accompany us on our walks and now sit every day in front of my house waiting for me and my dog. They even wait for me when I have to drive away for shopping or such like.
    No, I don't encourage them, don't feed them, but apparently they feel much happier with me and my dog than at home.

The neighbours are gone for the day and sometimes over the weekend. They never walk the dogs just let them run free. One of them is a sheepchaser by the way, so I have to divert my usual walks to areas where there are no sheep.

It sort of seems natural to me that they go where they have human company and walks and frolicking in the garden with my dog and me.
    But they don't belong to me, I might get in trouble with the neighbours who are not very communicative anyway. They know that their dogs go for walks with me, they don't like it, make it very clear but don't do anything about it. Well the mother of the husband once stopped, grabbed one of the dogs, threw it in her car and mumbled "they are better off dead than walking with the likes of you". Don't ask. There are some fierce, bitter and ignorant farmers around.

It breaks my heart when they sit in front of my door, tail wagging, jumping and looking at me with so much hope (or whatever I see into it). But I have to send them away, even if it doesn't help. They stay and treat my place as their home, as in barking at everyone who comes near the house. Which makes my dog barking as well. Mayhem.
    I would take them in if they were strays, but they are just two little dogs who decided they like it better with me.

Any idea or advice what to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I was in the same situation with a dog. His owners fed him but that was about it. He was allowed to roam the streets, was never given worming tablets or flea treatments. ( I always gave them to him as he was around my pets quite a lot.) I brought him to the vet once as he was limping. I had been away for a week and they had left him limping for a week!! When I brought him to the vet, they told me that the "actual" owners could sue me if they found out that I had brought him!:eek: It turned out he had a pinched nerve and a torn ligament and they hadn't even cared. From thet day on, I did not care, he was my dog!
    Fair play to you, OP!! The dogs obviously love you more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭palaver

Thanks, at least it happens to others as well.

I'm a bit reluctant to talk to the neighbours about the dogs, money or not. I had a similar situation years ago when another dog took a shine on me, sort of. The people who owned him didn't care much. So I went over and told them that I would take him if they don't want him, since he's around my place anyway. They refused, were quite hostile and weeks later the dog disappeared. There are some people around who'd rather kill a dog than give him to someone else.

Of course I will continue to look after the two little ones now. They don't leave me a choice anyway. I take your advice here, Lauragoesmad.

I only have to be careful that I don't end up as some old biddy with 30 dogs and 40 cats ... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

Yep; that happens...

We acquired our collie after a looooong process in just such a situation.
    She had belonged to our then-new-landlord's daddy, recently deceased. They had bought her for him after his wife's death, around foru years previously, but he had never taken to her. Also he had never spent a night in that house, so the puppy/dog was abandoned and locked up every night, and fed after the death by whoever.

We found her up at the old house; chained 24/7 to a 56 lb weight, and fed on white bread and the cheapest tinned dog food. No company, and never wormed etc; she was so thin we thought she was part greyhound.

Her coat was grey patches through malnutrition.

We asked if we could care for her; wormed her, fed her, had her neutered. She was clearly beaten; and to this day if you show her a lead she cowers and cringes. And if you pat her on the head she ducks.

But they were "attached" to her, and became very sentimental when we asked if we could take her when we moved.

Thankfully they agreed; simply because there was no one else to feed her even - and they had got used to not having to care for her in any way.

Probably else we may well simply have brought her away.....We knew the family well by then, but they lived many miles away.

All this took well over a year.

She is fine now; bright eyes and glossy coat, and energy as collies always have.

Always that darkness deep in her eyes though.

Your two are blessed in you mightily... A great tribute to you.

You are doing all you can....

As we are here; we just cannot take on more than we have.

Blessings and peace this day
    palaver wrote: »
    Thanks, at least it happens to others as well.

I'm a bit reluctant to talk to the neighbours about the dogs, money or not. I had a similar situation years ago when another dog took a shine on me, sort of. The people who owned him didn't care much. So I went over and told them that I would take him if they don't want him, since he's around my place anyway. They refused, were quite hostile and weeks later the dog disappeared. There are some people around who'd rather kill a dog than give him to someone else.

Of course I will continue to look after the two little ones now. They don't leave me a choice anyway. I take your advice here, Lauragoesmad.

I only have to be careful that I don't end up as some old biddy with 30 dogs and 40 cats ... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement