Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the grass always greener?

Options
  • 14-02-2009 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Why is it that the grass is always greener somewhere else?
    Most of us are suspeptible to this phenomenon of longing for another place wherever we are. But what ideas do yuo have for why this is and how it can be dealt with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭mayblue

i think it's because it's in our nature to search and keep searching for whatever is on the other side of the fence.
    we are curious beings and we always want more...there are very few who are happy with what they have

in general i think that without the willingness to search for something better we would still be living in caves, this curiosity we have is what made us evolve...

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Evilsbane

^Exactly. The restless desire for things to change helps us adapt when they inevitably do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

I can never fully enjoy a place, no matter how impressive, without thinking I should be somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I reckon it comes from a physical phenomenon.
    That the grass further away appears greener due to the angle at which the light
    bouncing of it reaches the eye is different then that under foot.

Grass that is closer can have it's imperfections seen and that which is at a distance will have such imperfections over looked.

There for it is about perception and how perception can be flawed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I reckon it comes from a physical phenomenon.
    That the grass further away appears greener due to the angle at which the light
    bouncing of it reaches the eye is different then that under foot.

Grass that is closer can have it's imperfections seen and that which is at a distance will have such imperfections over looked.

There for it is about perception and how perception can be flawed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rayleigh_scattering

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Affable wrote: »
    Why is it that the grass is always greener somewhere else?
    Most of us are suspeptible to this phenomenon of longing for another place wherever we are. But what ideas do yuo have for why this is and how it can be dealt with?

It's because we visit the other place in our minds, but forget that if we were to actually go there, we would have to bring our bodies, which cause problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

:)

I am aware of Rayleigh scattering and how due to the % of nitrogen in that atmosphere the sky is blue.

It's one of the first thing I went to find out about when I learned I was expecting my first born cos right from then I wanted to be the type of parent
    who can answer those types of questions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement