Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEST PHONE ON THE IRISH MARKET????

• 14-02-2009 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I'm considering getting a new phone my E51 is just annoying me now, being on vodafone the iphone isn't really an option that and I hate the proprietry nature that apple has adopted since the launch of ipod/itunes.

So to that end what's the best phone on the market currently, must have good web browsing and wifi, usability and longevity!!!!

So anwers on a postcard... would be very interested to hear all yer thoughts :o

What and why....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Nokia e71. Does everything it says on the tin.
    Good build quality, good screen, excellent qwerty keyboard, wifi, 3g, the works.
    Camera's pretty lousy, but if you want a good camera, get a DSLR. Only thing I use mine for is photographing whiteboards as a way of archiving whiteboard sessions.
    Tested one for a fortnight, then bought my own two weeks ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

THE TERM BEST IS SUBJECTIVE!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sparks wrote: »
    Nokia e71. Does everything it says on the tin.
    Good build quality, good screen, excellent qwerty keyboard, wifi, 3g, the works.
    Camera's pretty lousy, but if you want a good camera, get a DSLR. Only thing I use mine for is photographing whiteboards as a way of archiving whiteboard sessions.
    Tested one for a fortnight, then bought my own two weeks ago.

great phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

i love my nokia 5800 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭rainshowers82

I love my Blackberry.... great for emails... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭cheapskate

Hi,

I too have the E51, a great phone but it bugs the hell out of me too!
    I was so impressed with it too though that I went searching for another E## and ok you say the E71 is great but it's a bit big!

Anyone familiar with the E66? ...Anyone?

CS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I have had E51,Tocca,Iphone and Now E71 and i can say best out of lot is E71, iPhone is good but had issues around connecting bluetooth headset, mms,transfering data from one phone to the other, its grand for surfing once you have a data add on, vodafone should have a data add on for payg, E71is a gem wifi,3G its much easier transfering stuff from one phone to the other and i can connect to me bluetooth head set!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

n95 8gig. Best phone at the moment by far. Simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 and HTC Touch HD are currently the best Windows Mobile handsets and the Nokia E71 would be the best Nokia handset; all in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I've an N95 and really like it but if you didn't like the E51 because of the OS \ software then you probably won't like any of the E or N series nokias as they are all similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Sony W595
    Excellent battery does everything is says on the tin,
    Sticking with it even though I had a Tocco,I-Phone,N95 and storm
    Agreed that the term best is subjective what you need is a phone that
    suits your needs.
    All you need really is a basic phone if all you do is talk and text no point in spending
    a fortune on a phone if you're not going to need all of its functions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

as many of you have said the term best is very subjective, but in this instance it's for those of us that would be considered power users, the main reason the e51 is annoying me is shabby attempt at web browsing. the softeware is just a bit too dodge but all phones suffer from this now, i think its something you have to live with as the manufactures seem to for features instead of stability, while I like the idea of the E71, I want to think outside the noka box haveing been on that side of the fence for 12 years now.

Lets face it if your using a phone to it's extremem today, you should be listening to music and watching movies.
    Phone first browser second multimedia device third, and a 2mp camera just doesn't cut it any more.

Has sony/ericsson improved much, Samsung and LG seem to be making waves too. thanks for replies to date makes for interesting reading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

well i'm waiting for my e66 so we'll see how that goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Have a c902 and love it.5 meg camera, great web browsing, great media. Couldn't recommend it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Love my N95 8gb and would definitely recommend one. Good phone, good apps, great camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Have a nokia 6220, best nokia I have used in years. Have it six months and never had any issues (touch wood :-))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

INQ on Three

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jessconr

Nokia N95 8gb is the best phone by far available on the Irish Market. Great Camera, 150mb Ram, GPS, Great MP3 Player, Loads of Memory, Large Screen for Video Playback, 100s of applications available for it..... The list goes on and on

haven't heard great stuff about the n95, see it spawned a thread much like this. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055121791

Have to say the e71 is lookin like a winner, any body using the blackberry storm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

INQ on Three

Nice flamebait :)

the e71 will have the same software you hate. its an excellent phone but i would say the same about the e51.

sony xperia? its windows mobile ****e but that might just be your thing. even more proprietary than apple though.

They don't make phones the way they used to. so getting good quality will be extremely hard.

there's a whole slew of linux (android) phones around the corner but most of them will be highly customised with integrated facebook icons and you probably won't be able to do much hacking on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

jessconr wrote: »
    Nokia N95 8gb is the best phone by far available on the Irish Market. Great Camera, 150mb Ram, GPS, Great MP3 Player, Loads of Memory, Large Screen for Video Playback, 100s of applications available for it..... The list goes on and on

There's a lot of other phones around now that are as/more powerful than the N95 8gb tbh.
    Those features are now all pretty standard in most of the new uber devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Lushed1

seanybiker wrote: »
    n95 8gig. Best phone at the moment by far. Simple

Totally agree. Without doubt the best phone i have ever used. I don't even use my laptop as much now. It has so many features like a really good sat nav and fantastic camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah n 95 8 gb best around at the moment really, i have mine now 14 months and will only change it for the n97, the blackberry storm- you either hate it or love it, i had one for a week and its touch/click screen drove me up the wall!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

towel401 wrote: »

sony xperia? its windows mobile ****e but that might just be your thing. even more proprietary than apple though.

How do you arrive at that conclusion?:confused:

Another vote for the e71 here.

How do you arrive at that conclusion?:confused:

Another vote for the e71 here.

because OS X actually includes a lot of open source software. dunno how much made it across to the iPhone but Windows is generally as proprietary as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

towel401 wrote: »
    I missed this post until Oafley Jones quoted it.

I have an X1 and far be it from me to be biased, especially since I voted for two other handsets in my previous post, but how exactly does proprietary come into it? The X1 has a microSD memory card slot, so it doesn’t even use Sony’s M2 memory cards and there are tons of open-sourced programs available for Windows Mobile; just go look on XDA Developers for examples.

I honestly cannot fathom how anyone can say OS X is more open-source than another competitor given the fact that the iPhone is the most restrictive handset available; unless it is jail-broken.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I missed this post until Oafley Jones quoted it.

I have an X1 and far be it from me to be biased, especially since I voted for two other handsets in my previous post, but how exactly does proprietary come into it? The X1 has a microSD memory card slot, so it doesn’t even use Sony’s M2 memory cards and there are tons of open-sourced programs available for Windows Mobile; just go look on XDA Developers for examples.

I honestly cannot fathom how anyone can say OS X is more open-source than another competitor given the fact that the iPhone is the most restrictive handset available; unless it is jail-broken.

the iphone is definitely the most restrictive but windoze mobile is very much integrated with windows and microsoft services. not the worst out of the lot though. they are supposed to be making symbian open source i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭O2_Daryll

Yes I am going to say it I love my iPhone however I have an E51 which acts as my work phone and I am very very pleased with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

N95 is probably the best phone allround at the moment. but if your in the market for a new phone hold out a couple of months... the n97 looks brilliant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AD-elt8MN3I&feature=related

Advertisement