Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEST PHONE ON THE IRISH MARKET????

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

the n97 is ridiculously expensive. and touch screen based. i never liked touch screens on phones. they also took out the VoiP client which i use regularly and of course nothing integrates as well as the nokia client

the e75 red is nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

towel401 wrote: »
    the e75 red is nice though.
    …if you like a small screen.

I would have thought Nokia might have released a touch-screen E series handset with slide-out keyboard with a bigger screen, but then I suppose the N97 sales may suffer as a result.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    …if you like a small screen.

I would have thought Nokia might have released a touch-screen E series handset with slide-out keyboard with a bigger screen, but then I suppose the N97 sales may suffer as a result.

the screen is grand. was actually thinking of getting the e90 which has similar specs and an extra screen but there's no red version. the only thing that annoys me about the e51 is the lack of keyboard

towel401 wrote: »
    the screen is grand. was actually thinking of getting the e90 which has similar specs and an extra screen but there's no red version. the only thing that annoys me about the e51 is the lack of keyboard
    I can understand the E90, as the main screen is 4”, but to have a handset with a slide-out keyboard and a screen that is substantially less than 3” should be stopped by every manufacturer.

Oh, and you're welcome. ;)

I can understand the E90, as the main screen is 4”, but to have a handset with a slide-out keyboard and a screen that is substantially less than 3” should be stopped by every manufacturer.

Oh, and you're welcome. ;)

o thx for teh link :) don't really need a bigger screen than that but the keyboard would be great for email / sms. i assume its around the same size as teh E51's screen

else i might just get the e63 which is cheap and cheerful. once 2nd hand red ones start appearing on the ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

I missed this post until Oafley Jones quoted it.

I have an X1 and far be it from me to be biased, especially since I voted for two other handsets in my previous post, but how exactly does proprietary come into it? The X1 has a microSD memory card slot, so it doesn’t even use Sony’s M2 memory cards and there are tons of open-sourced programs available for Windows Mobile; just go look on XDA Developers for examples.

I honestly cannot fathom how anyone can say OS X is more open-source than another competitor given the fact that the iPhone is the most restrictive handset available; unless it is jail-broken.

I agree.
    Windows Mobile is not what i'd call proprietary.
    It's extremely customisable and flexible with an enormous amount of freeware apps.
    Hard work at times maybe trying to find these great apps (no real user-friendly app store).
    But certainly not restrictive/proprietary.

mkennedy wrote: »
    I agree.
    Windows Mobile is not what i'd call proprietary.
    It's extremely customisable and flexible with an enormous amount of freeware apps.
    Hard work at times maybe trying to find these great apps (no real user-friendly app store).
    But certainly not restrictive/proprietary.

maybe not restrictive but it definitely is proprietary.

even the supposedly "open source" phone operating systems come with all sorts of restrictions to enable DRM and prevent people from easily unbranding/unlocking the phone. like symbian has some security features in the name of virus prevention but really it is so the user can't access certain parts of the phone's OS. they might publish the source code of the OS but actively try to prevent people from loading modified firmware onto their phone, so again not really open. same goes for Android

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

So as the OP I'll jump back in

baseds on a lot of feedback from here I managed to get a friend to lend me his e71 for the past two days, have to say I'm very impressed, it basically is an e51 done right, it's obvious now that the platform on the e51 was designed for and e71 and just crammed on there, that and this has the original nokia SW/FW as opposed to the vodafone tinkered version. I think I shall be having one of these very soon.... only 1 downside is the size of the numbers on the keybad and that they don't light up, apart from that it's class.
    So just have to check it's not going to be superceeded too soon

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Got my E71 at the weekend and have to say, its fantastic. Took a small bit of getting used to, but I'm typing on the keyboard like a pro.
    Even after 2 years of my previous phone (K800i), I still couldn't get used to texting on it. The qwerty keys on the E71 may be small, but with a tiny bit of practice, you'll start to fly around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Got my E71 at the weekend and have to say, its fantastic. Took a small bit of getting used to, but I'm typing on the keyboard like a pro.
    Even after 2 years of my previous phone (K800i), I still couldn't get used to texting on it. The qwerty keys on the E71 may be small, but with a tiny bit of practice, you'll start to fly around it.

Yeah, the learning curve is around 2 days for the keyboard on the E71. Went back and was trying to text on an N71 the other day and I was getting a bit frustrated! Full QWERTY keyboards on mobiles are the way forward. May encourage people to stp txtin lk f00lz 2...

Love my E71, great phone! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭hick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

Lots of people mentioning the N95 and talking about upgrading to the N97 on here. Just wondering whats wrong with the N96?

20goto10 wrote: »
    Lots of people mentioning the N95 and talking about upgrading to the N97 on here. Just wondering whats wrong with the N96?
    The N96 is overpriced, under featured and not much of an improvement over the N95.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭colman1212

is this a ridiculous question or something?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Damomayo

gcgirl wrote: »
    E71is a gem wifi,3G its much easier transfering stuff from one phone to the other and i can connect to me bluetooth head set!!

+1 for the E71 .... apart from the standard earphones

what bluetooth head set do ppl recommend? :D

The N96 is overpriced, under featured and not much of an improvement over the N95.
    In what way? I'm curious cause I'm looking for a high end(ish) phone. Was thinking the iPhone but leaning more towards a nokia. Is the N95 3G?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

In what way? I'm curious cause I'm looking for a high end(ish) phone. Was thinking the iPhone but leaning more towards a nokia. Is the N95 3G?
    yes, it has always been even in the early models unlike the iphone which is only just catching up on some of the features.. I have an n95 its a brilliant phone.

If you look here and compare the features, you can see that there are very few differences between the N95 and N96. The main differences are the additional 8 GB of onboard memory and the DVB-H TV tuner on the N96; the latter feature being of no use since there is no support within Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

hick, the keys on the e71 do light up, but they seem to do it on a timer, so if you're typing a long message, they can go out, and then come back a moment later. Not sure if there's a firmware fix for that on the way or anything though.

If you look here and compare the features, you can see that there are very few differences between the N95 and N96. The main differences are the additional 8 GB of onboard memory and the DVB-H TV tuner on the N96; the latter feature being of no use since there is no support within Ireland.
    Yeah paying for a mobile TV you can't use seems a bit of a waste. Doesn't the N96 have a qwerty keyboard? I can't imagine using the web or email to any serious degree without a decent keyboard.

Also, N97 is bound to have the TV feature too but people are willing to upgrade to that.

I'm not knocking any of them, I'm still trying to figure out which phone to get. Would people who have the N95 consider the its lack of keyboard a problem?

Edit: OK sorry no qwerty on the N96 either.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

Does the e71 have the little blip light when you miss a call or get a text message?

Trying to weigh it up between the E71 and the Blackberry Storm?

Any others pros and cons to the E71?

Advertisement