Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do vets make house calls?

Options
  • 14-02-2009 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello all

My cat is eleven years old and is currently receiving medical attention for an over active thyroid. This may be caused by a tumour. There is too great a risk for a GA as her heart rate is too fast. She is on medication for now (anti-thyroids) but still experiencing gastroenteritis symptoms at least every day or second day. I can feel a hard lump in the front of her neck, this could be the Thyroid itself or a tumour.

When the time comes for her to be put down I don't want to have to take her anywhere with unfamiliar sights and smells.

Is eleven old for a cat? I know it is seventy seven in human years but I don't feel she is absolutely ancient.

Will a vet come out to put a pet to sleep?. We have a veterinary clinic less than ten minutes away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

yea vets make house calls...happens alot for animals being put down.

You may want to consider what to do with her remains after. If you keep her you have the grim task of actually picking her up and burying her yourself (unless you have help) or the other option is to get her cremated (privately or otherwise)but the vet will bring off her body.

its not a nice topic to talk about but really you are much better being prepared for the worst and thinking everything through so you dont make hasty decisions you might regret...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

11 is only 61 in human years. Cat age is worked out differently to dog age

http://www.cat-world.com.au/CatAge.htm

My parents had 2 cats that lived to 19 and 18 years old so I don't think 11 is old. When my sister's cat die her son was devastated so they did a little funeral for the cat and buried him in the back garden. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Yes, vets will come out to put an animal to sleep, I've done this with two of my dogs, and intend to do it with any of my animals that need to be pts in the future. Its much less stressful I think for all concerned. My two dogs were lying in their own home, eating ham while the vet gave them the injection, it was an awful thing to have to have to do, but a nice way to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Thanks all. I have a garden where the cat can be buried (few others pets already there).

How much was the call out fee if anybody doesn't mind me asking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭Munster Gal

It will vary from clinic to clinic. Give your vet a call and they will tell you. My mother's vet only charged what it would have cost in the clinic when he put her dog to sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

If you have an emergency at night what is advice? Contact vets clinic or is there any 24 hr clinics/vet hospitals in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Our vet charged €70 for the call out when we had to get our dog PTS but I gave him €100.

If you have an emergency at night what is advice? Contact vets clinic or is there any 24 hr clinics/vet hospitals in Ireland?
    Most vets provide 24 hour emergency cover but it usually costs extra for after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

Most vets arent 24hr but there is an emergency clinic in UCD that opens at night the number is 1890 564 036. it is expensive but if they can help your pet its worth it!!!!

Most vets provide 24 hour emergency cover but it usually costs extra for after hours.

kazza90210 wrote: »
    Most vets arent 24hr but there is an emergency clinic in UCD that opens at night the number is 1890 564 036. it is expensive but if they can help your pet its worth it!!!!

We don't all live in Dublin! Outside of Dublin most vets either provide 24 hour emergency cover themselves or have an arrangement with other practices to provide an out of hours service. The UCD Vet College ER is like Care-Doc, D-Doc or South-Doc for pets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kazza90210

I know not everyone lives in Dublin just wanted to post the number so ppl can have it as some ppl arent aware of this service and dublin vets usually arent 24 hr!!!

kazza90210 wrote: »
    I know not everyone lives in Dublin just wanted to post the number so ppl can have it as some ppl arent aware of this service and dublin vets usually arent 24 hr!!!

thanks for clearing that up.

Advertisement