Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Difference between a research masters and a phd

Options
  • 14-02-2009 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide whether to do a masters or a phd, I know there is a huge difference between a research masters and a phd, but i was hoping somebody could explain the difference between the two.

Excuse the ignorance, but for the life of me I can't figure out the difference. Thanks all.

Comments

Well a research masters would last a year (or maybe two) and would give you a Level 9 qualification, whereas a PhD would last more (generally) and give you a Level 10 qualification. Content-wise I'd guess they'd be somewhat the same with a research masters very often leading on to a PhD. If you don't know about the levels, check out the national framework of qualifications and the big pretty picture they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Research Masters 1-2 years.
    PhD 3-4 years. It can be more but it is unusual to last more than 4.

I like the idea of the research masters myself as you are not locked into
    something for 4 years. At least with the masters, if you don't like the
    subject/workload/supervisor/team etc you only have to put up with it
    for a year or two.

Also by doing this, if the economy recovers in a year or 2, you can finish up
    and head out for a job, while on the other hand if the economy doesn't recover, you could continue onto a PhD and ride out the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

My supervisor explained the difference in terms of content as being that a PhD has to be original, while a research masters can be a review of existing work on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paddy353

rain on wrote: »
    PhD has to be original, while a research masters can be a review of existing work on the subject.

I think I like the sound of that. I suppose next step is to talk to the lecturers involved.Thanks all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My supervisor explained the difference in terms of content as being that a PhD has to be original, while a research masters can be a review of existing work on the subject.

Eh, I don't think so. AFAIK a research masters is the same as a phd (i.e. must be original, and add to existing knowledge on the subject). The difference is that a phd is longer, you would do more research. You would get more publications from a phd that a masters. Generally a research masters is between 18 months and 2 years, and a phd is 3-4 years.

• Advertisement

Eh, I don't think so. AFAIK a research masters is the same as a phd (i.e. must be original, and add to existing knowledge on the subject). The difference is that a phd is longer, you would do more research. You would get more publications from a phd that a masters. Generally a research masters is between 18 months and 2 years, and a phd is 3-4 years.
    Hey, I'm just quoting what I was told by an academic who's been supervising both for ~20 years. I'm pretty sure he'd know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Hey, I'm just quoting what I was told by an academic who's been supervising both for ~20 years. I'm pretty sure he'd know.

Fair enough! I didn't know that.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

What subject did the academic supervise in rain on?
    I know my Research Masters Thesis had to have the usual PhD declaration about the following work being original and had not appeared in any thesis before.
    I can't remember the exact wording though.

English.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭deegs

+1 Was told the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

deegs wrote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain on viewpost.gif

+1 Was told the same.
    I was told the same to.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Warmaster

Myth wrote: »
    Well a research masters would last a year (or maybe two) and would give you a Level 9 qualification, whereas a PhD would last more (generally) and give you a Level 10 qualification. Content-wise I'd guess they'd be somewhat the same with a research masters very often leading on to a PhD. If you don't know about the levels, check out the national framework of qualifications and the big pretty picture they have.

I have yet to see a research masters that lasted less than 2 years.

There's a great book called How to get a PhD by a guy down in Teagasc, applies to final year students and MPhil (research Masters) students too

Advertisement