Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any expert here at Head Lice treatment?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭labradoodlelady

Hi mumof2. I can remember my Mom using some essential oils in an olive oil solution and it worked when the medicated shampoos/lotions didn't. I found this treatment online. I can't recall the solution she used but I do remember her using rosemary oil and lavender oil so it looks like the one! Perhaps if you inquire in your local health shop they might be able to give advice.

http://www.helium.com/items/125469-tea-tree-oil-for-head-lice

The vinegar rinse should clear the oily texture, but overall the treatment is great for the hair!!

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Toots85 wrote: »
    Definitely say it to the creche. There's probably one or two kids there who keep reinfesting the rest of the class. I did work exp in a creche a few years ago and there was a really bad headlice problem. We sent notes home and everything, still had a problem. It got to the point that we had to check all the kids hair a couple of times a week, we narrowed down the culprit. This poor child was crawling with them every time we checked him, it was so bad that he even had a sort of rash behind his ears and on the back of his neck where they were biting him. It was totally obvious that he had had never been treated for them. Surprisingly enough, the parents were quite well to do and well groomed, however I got the impression that they really didn't spend much time and attention on the kid. They probably never even read the notes we sent home with him.

Similarly to the kid MonicaBing wrote about, the creche phoned the mother and asked her to come and collect the child, and told her that she couldn't leave him back until his headlice were completely cleared up. The problem dissappeared after that.

edit: my mum got a vibrating comb thing in argos a couple of years back and it worked very well at getting the eggs out too. There's a similar one out now, not sure how effective it is though.

Thanks for that, we are still having the same problem, we even got a hair straightener and that seems to work at killing the eggs,. but the creche are doing nothing about it, we have never even got a letter to say the kids have lice.. We are going to take her out of this creche as I heard having head lice can make children insecure if its not treated properly.. well we are treating it as we can but she keeps getting a re infestation ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I kept combing every night and finally cleared it. If I see another day of it I will shave her hair off:D:D (just joking btw)

Seriousely, its a nightmare, and you'd even be afraid to meet up with friends who have kids that are going through the same motion for fear we'd get them again:eek:

I'm using Tea Tree Oil as a KEEP OUT sign:D Hope it helps.

Good luck to anyone currently in the situation - and be patient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Aysha

Tea tree shampoo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Toots* wrote: »
    Definitely say it to the creche. There's probably one or two kids there who keep reinfesting the rest of the class. I did work exp in a creche a few years ago and there was a really bad headlice problem. We sent notes home and everything, still had a problem. It got to the point that we had to check all the kids hair a couple of times a week, we narrowed down the culprit. This poor child was crawling with them every time we checked him, it was so bad that he even had a sort of rash behind his ears and on the back of his neck where they were biting him. It was totally obvious that he had had never been treated for them. Surprisingly enough, the parents were quite well to do and well groomed, however I got the impression that they really didn't spend much time and attention on the kid. They probably never even read the notes we sent home with him.

Similarly to the kid MonicaBing wrote about, the creche phoned the mother and asked her to come and collect the child, and told her that she couldn't leave him back until his headlice were completely cleared up. The problem dissappeared after that.

edit: my mum got a vibrating comb thing in argos a couple of years back and it worked very well at getting the eggs out too. There's a similar one out now, not sure how effective it is though.

I did a search and found this thread. In May, I got a message about head lice going around the school. Next thing I was scratching my head. I used Full Marks from the chemist on my whole family, and repeated the process 2 weeks later as advised. We were still scratching, so I tried Prioderm and left it in overnight. But after 5 treatments my hair is worse than ever!!! I went to my GP yesterday and he said I have so many eggs I would be better to shave off my hair!

I'm a bit mortified now as a note arrived from my daughter's creche about a case of headlice - and I know it's my daughter!

Back in 1983, somebody stayed at our house and infected us all with headlice. My mother sprinkled DDT powder on the beds, chairs and in our hairs - and that was the end of the problem. I tried to buy this product only to find it's use has been banned!

I'm going to try mumof2's advice and see how it goes. I must have spent over e100 on the remedies at this stage and I'm at the end of my tether!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

I'm hearing you Kelle!! What a disaster those head lice are. I hope I never see them again..............

Just keep combing each night. I even used olive oil to make the hair easier to comb and for the head lice to stick to the comb better. After combing just wash the hair with T Tree Shampoo, and rub some neat on collars and clothing. Even a drop into your conditioner will help. Stick to it - it will clear, but you have to let everyone know where your child is in contact with, so they can check and clear or it will just get passed back.

Believe me, there are parents out there that just cant be bothered, and everyone suffers as a result!!

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Kelle make sure you are boiling the bed clothes and see if you can get a lend of a steamer for the mattresses.

Advertisement