Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

James Richardson to be replaced by...

• 15-02-2009 12:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭

...Ken Early! :mad:

That's right, Newstalk's most pompous football 'expert' Ken Early is taking charge of the Guardian Football Weekly show while Richardson goes on a little holiday. Absolutely disgusted. Glendenning is bad enough when he gets going but Early is worse.

Anyone else an Early-hater?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    ...Ken Early! :mad:

That's right, Newstalk's most pompous football 'expert' Ken Early is taking charge of the Guardian Football Weekly show while Richardson goes on a little holiday. Absolutely disgusted. Glendenning is bad enough when he gets going but Early is worse.

Anyone else an Early-hater?

Too fcuking right!

I hate the whole smug patter of that 'Off The Ball' show. Early and whoever that other no mark is, cracking their little 'in' jokes about players.

I never thought I would listen to Football Weekly and hear a smugger jerk than Barry Glendenning. Turns out I was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

No, I like his wry humour to be honest.

Just be glad you're not a rugby fan and a newstalk listener because then you'd have to listen to the never ending tide of ****e that comes out of George Hook's mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Without McDevitt there to jump in this will be one dull show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

No idea who Early is??!!!. But always liked Glendenning writing the Fiver for the Guardian and his Hot Press days made me laugh. Sorry!! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Early, Glendenning, Doyle - tis the "soccer" Murphia!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I like Ken Early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Didn't he fill in before for Jimbo.

I like him, haven't always listened to 'Off The Ball' but i'm getting into it now. I like Glendinning, he said something on the last Podcast that was hilarious but unfortunately i can't remember what it was. Have to go back and listen to it again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its online! Shocking opening ramble frankly.

mp3 file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

mike65 wrote: »
    Its online! Shocking opening ramble frankly.

mp3 file

Lacks the flair of Richardson.

Whose doing Football Matters anyone know? It's godawful but for Richardson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Stan Collymore. He looked terrified when they previewed what was coming on it at half time of the Arsenal game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Early is no anchor for a show, I mean Jimbo is a legend and hard to replace.

I do like him as a contributor though. Barry was grand for Hot Press but knows so little about football it is painful, and he trys desperately to cover up his ineptitude with toilet humour.

Paul Doyle on the other hand is a hell of a pundit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

population wrote: »
    Early is no anchor for a show, I mean Jimbo is a legend and hard to replace.

I do like him as a contributor though. Barry was grand for Hot Press but knows so little about football it is painful, and he trys desperately to cover up his ineptitude with toilet humour.

Paul Doyle on the other hand is a hell of a pundit.

Sid Lowe is by far and the away the best footballing brain on that show. Incredibly tuned in with the Spanish game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I like him. Don't think he comes across as pompous at all. I kinda enjoy his dry sardonic humour. And I'm not sure why the OP has "expert" in inverted comma's, as whatever else you may think about him, there's no doubting that he is very knowledgeable on his subject. Keep it up Ken!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭ArmCandyBaby

Don't rate Ken at all, fortunately he's on at the end of the show when anything interesting has already been talked about. He would be nothing without Eoin who's far more entertaining and a much better interviewer. And I can't stand the way he pauses mid sentence so that he can think up a nice...... polysyllabic word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pighead wrote: »
    I like him. Don't think he comes across as pompous at all. I kinda enjoy his dry sardonic humour. And I'm not sure why the OP has "expert" in inverted comma's, as whatever else you may think about him, there's no doubting that he is very knowledgeable on his subject. Keep it up Ken!

Because I can remember instances where his knowledge has been far from spot on.

For example, on one particular addition of Off The Ball the Spurs squad at the time was riddled with average midfielders. Early kept going on about 'the two Davis' that were distinctly average, as if they were brothers. In fact he was actually on about Sean Davis and Simon Davies. Completely different names. Pedantic on my part? Of course, but that's what I expect from an expert.

So yes, "expert" imo.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Because I can remember instances where his knowledge has been far from spot on.

For example, on one particular addition of Off The Ball the Spurs squad at the time was riddled with average midfielders. Early kept going on about 'the two Davis' that were distinctly average, as if they were brothers. In fact he was actually on about Sean Davis and Simon Davies. Completely different names. Pedantic on my part? Of course, but that's what I expect from an expert.

So yes, "expert" imo.
    Ah c'mon Xavi! That's nitpicking to the absolute extreme! Even experts make mistakes sometimes.
    Pighead's a renowned love making expert but even he made a mistake once. Brought a large girl back to the palace of dreams and stuck me todger in her belly button. Rookie error.

Should that one incident take away from the thousands of expertly carried out love making sessions that came before and after that unfortunate incident? Course not. Even us experts deserve a bit of slack sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Pighead wrote: »
    Ah c'mon Xavi! That's nitpicking to the absolute extreme! Even experts make mistakes sometimes.
    Pighead's a renowned love making expert but even he made a mistake once. Brought a large girl back to the palace of dreams and stuck me todger in her belly button. Rookie error.

Should that one incident take away from the thousands of expertly carried out love making sessions that came before and after that unfortunate incident? Course not. Even us experts deserve a bit of slack sometimes.

As I said Pighead, that's just one of the incidents, just like I'm sure that there are other times where Pighead Jr. has flattered to deceive.

Unlike Early though, I'm sure Pighead Jr. oozes charisma (amongst other things).

Fair enough! We'll agree to differ so. One man's trash is another mans treasure and all that. (Just for the record, that love making mistake was an absolute once off)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I like the whole feel of the last hour on OTB. Its like having a couple of lads making radio in their room but getting the biggest experts in the business to phone in. Always a good listen i find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Haven't listened to the show in a while but Off The Ball got me through my leaving cert year. I'd have to say I like Ken Early!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I listened to football weekly last night, found it grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Des wrote: »
    I listened to football weekly last night, found it grand.

same here, i thought early did fine.

thank christ that prick glendenning wasn't on the panel. honigstein still number one for me!

Advertisement