Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problem with Canon Rebel XTi [Warning: Noob Alert]

• 15-02-2009 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Apologies for this. The gf has one of these cameras and its misbehaving. Basically when its on any of the P, Tv, Av and M settings and she goes to take a photo, it exposes for about 20 seconds, even if the exposure is set to very short with the little wheel (lol technical amn't I). Also, whenever it finally finishes taking the picture, it doesn't save it, not sure if this is relevant. Any ideas what setting needs changing? Would be grateful if you could ABC me through it!
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

How does the camera respond in the set modes like sports etc?
    I'd format the memory card incase thats the saving issue.

Not 100% on the Rebel series as i've only owned a 300D but that certainly doesn't sound right.Think you might have to take it back to where you got it.

Any chance the lens cap isn't left on while messing with the settings as this would mess up the exposure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Well I went to the 'clear settings' option so everything should be ok. It takes and saves pictures fine in all the pre-set modes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

1st thoughts are the timer setting is on wher eit waits 20 seconds before it takes a picture.....which would explain the delay...and is there a memory card in the camera...if not it would expalin why it isn't saving!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 doud

Hi zuutroy,

I think that he most likely explanation is that mirror lockup is set to 1.

The noise you hear when you first press the shutter button is the mirror getting in position for exposure, then it waits 20 seconds for you to press a second time on the shutter button to start exposing (for the time you selected). After 20 seconds mirror goes back to its original position, sutter did not open, picture is not exposed/taken or saved.

if you press a second time on the shutter button your picture will be exposed and the mirror will come back to it's original position as soon as the exposure is done.

It should be somewhere in the manual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

doud wrote: »
    Hi zuutroy,

The noise you hear when you first press the shutter button is the mirror getting in position for exposure, then it waits 20 seconds for you to press a second time on the shutter button to start exposing (for the time you selected). After 20 seconds mirror goes back to its original position, sutter did not open, picture is not exposed/taken or saved.

if you press a second time on the shutter button your picture will be exposed and the mirror will come back to it's original position as soon as the exposure is done.

That solved it. Thanks a million!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

doud wrote: »
    Hi zuutroy,

This is exactly what happens with my EOS 1000D too.
    Cuz of that i can't do continous shooting in any of the P, TV, Av, M modes. I need to press the shutter release button twice to take a shot.
    I'll change the mirror lock up thing to see if it makes a difference...

EDIT: Thats it, changing the "Mirror Lockup" in the custom settings from 1 Enable to 0 Disable solved it...!

Advertisement