Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ken Early haters tread in soccer

Options
  • 15-02-2009 1:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

I get an infraction for calling someone a muppet on the soccer forum. Then get lectured about what a rarefied atmosphere that forum is.

Tonight I see one of the soccer mods starting a Ken "Early/hating" thread on the forum. Doesn't quite add up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

If you call someone a muppet then it's against forum policies afaik. I've no idea what a Ken 'Early/hating' thread is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Its a thread where in the op, fellow "Early/haters" are encouraged to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

deadhead13 wrote: »

It is possible to dislike someone without actually calling them an abusive name.

E.g.

"I hate the way Ken Early comes across as arrogant on Off The Ball"

is completely different to

"Ken Early is an absolute wanker on Off The Ball"

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Still doesn't make much sense to me. Have you pmd the mod about this or reported the post?

Gordon wrote: »
    Still doesn't make much sense to me. Have you pmd the mod about this or reported the post?

He can't report the posts as he's had his access removed at his own request.

• Advertisement

I refer you to post 3 on the Off the Ball thread on the radio forum.I would have post on the thread if I was able, but as you know I'm not.

I think how the thread was started was out of order. Whether you agree are not is up to you. I really don't mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Against my better judgement I'm replying to this when I should be getting to bed as I'm up for work in less than 6 hours.
    Xavi6 wrote: »
    He can't report the posts as he's had his access removed at his own request.

He can report posts Xavi, the removal of access only stops him from posting, he can still read/thank posts/report.

I've had a quick look at the thread the OP is talking about, so here are a few points worth noting:

1. The forum charter does not prohibit disliking someone, indeed that would seem to be one of the common themes of football, so would be rather pointless.

2. Stating you do not like someone is not an offence either.

3. Abusing a sports personality is prohibited under the charter, with good reason. However, that clause is mitigated somewhat by us allowing some level of passionate language as long as it is contextual. Xavi has provided an example above, another would be:

(a) "Shay Given is a fcuking idiot"

(b) "I can't believe Given just dragged their striker down in the box, what a fcuking idiot!"

The former is outright abuse, the latter while it contains earthy language is judged acceptable given the context.

As always, that call is made by one or more of the moderators, and in the vast majority of cases we get it right. Some posters find it difficult to see the line that separates the two examples I gave, my advice as always is that if a poster is not sure whether what they intend to post is acceptable or not, then they should choose not to post.

I hope that is of some help.

I refer you to post 3 on the Off the Ball thread on the radio forum.I would have post on the thread if I was able, but as you know I'm not.

What has the Radio forum got to do with the Soccer forum? They are not one and the same.
    I think how the thread was started was out of order. Whether you agree are not is up to you. I really don't mind.

Why? There's a thread criticising Andy Gray that has been for the most part very well discussed. Early is in the same boat - some like him, some hate him.

If you don't think the term "early/haters" doesn't contravines the soccer charter, fine. I registered my protest. Maybe this wasn't the best place to do it. And I have nothing further to add.

Sorry to have kept you up The Recklessone

If you don't think the term "early/haters" doesn't contravines the soccer charter, fine. I registered my protest. Maybe this wasn't the best place to do it. And I have nothing further to add.

It doesn't.

I hate Roy Keane. I hate Gary Neville. I don't particularly like Manchester United, Celtic and Liverpool. I'm entitled to say so, as is anyone else. Outright abuse is completely different to that and that's when the charter comes in.

There's a pretty straight forward distinction between the two.

• Advertisement
Advertisement