Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Download limit - Any provider allows 200GB monthly?

Options
  • 15-02-2009 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi lads

Do you thing Smart Telec. or BT will allow 200Gb/monthly of usage?
    Any other solution to avoid the download limit or throttling?

cheers

Dublin 1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Go for an unlimited service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 DoveBirkoff

BT can consider yourself as "heavy user" and downgrade your speed till 128Kbs if you don't follow their "fairy usage policy".

I don't know about Smart, I heard so many different opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Go for an unlimited service?

No such thing.

UPC and Smart will not bother you at 200G.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

Yeah, UPC says they're unlimited, however they do have a 250GB limit. However if you only plan to use around 200 then you should be fine. Also that's only on their 10Mb package. Their 20Mb is faster and the invisible limit is probably higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

I've done 200GB on Smart over a one billing month period, no problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

dave-higgz wrote: »
    Yeah, UPC says they're unlimited, however they do have a 250GB limit. However if you only plan to use around 200 then you should be fine. Also that's only on their 10Mb package. Their 20Mb is faster and the invisible limit is probably higher.

I know ppl who regularly hit the 400 GB a month on the 20mb UPC package,they havent heard a thing from UPC

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Codofwar

jackncoke wrote: »
    I know ppl who regularly hit the 400 GB a month on the 20mb UPC package,they havent heard a thing from UPC

I've the 20mb unlimited broadband with UPC and only once exceeded the 250 fair usage cap with 330G and got an angry letter from upc.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Your best bet is a Business package of some sort, all ISP's have some sort of a network limit including UPC and Smart its only a matter of how much downloading they will allow.
    It might be 200GB or it might be 500GB+ but nothing is really truly unlimited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Cabaal wrote: »
    Your best bet is a Business package of some sort, all ISP's have some sort of a network limit including UPC and Smart its only a matter of how much downloading they will allow.
    It might be 200GB or it might be 500GB+ but nothing is really truly unlimited

They were quite positive in the letter that they sent me that the monthly allowance is 250gb data transfer and that includes uploads. Given that it's possible to download 6gbs an hour going at top speed thats about 2 days a month usage on an unlimited package.

Hi lads

Reading all the replys, I think there's not too much to do....
    I used to download before come to Dublin 10GB a day...Now I have to select my downloads carefully. ;P

Although, I think I'll try BT since give me for confidence, but still the "fairy usage policy" which I really dislike.

cheers for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭supervixen

I would go for Smart,at least they claim there is no download limit and it would be bad press if you post here that they cut you off ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭rh555

Wasn't it discussed before that BT is 100GB/month no matter what package u are on? That is except the business package ofcourse.

I am pretty sure about the 100GB limit for BT from what I read on this board. Do a search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭L.R. Weizel

Generally Cable doesn't suffer from the same congestion etc. as ADSL so going with cable will give you a very high usage limit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

supervixen wrote: »
    I would go for Smart,at least they claim there is no download limit and it would be bad press if you post here that they cut you off ;)

depends what your doing "if" they cut you off, if for example you were doing 1TB a month on Smart and they warned you and you kept doing it so they terminated you I believe the majority of people on this forum would see it as pretty reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Generally Cable doesn't suffer from the same congestion etc. as ADSL so going with cable will give you a very high usage limit.

No.
    In fact in reality, physically the opposite is true.
    UPC may decide to give users a higher limit, but given sufficient increase in backhaul, eventually the limit is the number of people sharing a cable segment to a cabinet or headend. DSL lines are not shared, so limit is only backhaul.

Many exchanges might be enabled with DSL without increasing backhaul and most newly enabled Cable Broadband has new fibre backhaul, hence UPC on a practical level may have more capacity. But on theoretical level it's hard to get below 20:1 contention on 20Mbps cable (easy at 1Mbps) and any speed DSL can be near zero contention (1:1 to 1:4) if enough backhaul is added.

Somewhere between 1:4 and 1:12 backhaul contention should give illusion of 1:1 contention if shared by enough customers as only a percentage use P2P and people actually read emails & webpages rather than 100% downloading 24x7.
    1:48 selling contention/ Backhaul contention looks like about 1:3 or 1:4 contention at peak times (you get as low as 1/4 speed at peak times, thus more than 4 times as much backhaul makes it seem there is no contention )

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Me and my old housemate managed to push 200GB in a week on my old breeze...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

johnciall wrote: »
    Me and my old housemate managed to push 200GB in a week on my old breeze...

And thats why a lot of places say subject to fair usage policy rather than give a limit. Its a limit not a target

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

watty wrote: »
    No.
    In fact in reality, physically the opposite is true.
    UPC may decide to give users a higher limit, but given sufficient increase in backhaul, eventually the limit is the number of people sharing a cable segment to a cabinet or headend. DSL lines are not shared, so limit is only backhaul.

Many exchanges might be enabled with DSL without increasing backhaul and most newly enabled Cable Broadband has new fibre backhaul, hence UPC on a practical level may have more capacity. But on theoretical level it's hard to get below 20:1 contention on 20Mbps cable (easy at 1Mbps) and any speed DSL can be near zero contention (1:1 to 1:4) if enough backhaul is added.

Somewhere between 1:4 and 1:12 backhaul contention should give illusion of 1:1 contention if shared by enough customers as only a percentage use P2P and people actually read emails & webpages rather than 100% downloading 24x7.
    1:48 selling contention/ Backhaul contention looks like about 1:3 or 1:4 contention at peak times (you get as low as 1/4 speed at peak times, thus more than 4 times as much backhaul makes it seem there is no contention )
    What?

Hi lads

[html]Hi
    In regard with your product:
    Broadband option 3: up to 24mb

Due to my freelance/hobbie profession as video editor, I know that I'll reach some days a quote or 6GB downloaded of video.

If I keep a rate of 200GB montly, I will be throtted?

I was wondering if even paying an extra fee I could avoid this throttling cause I would need the line at any time.

Thanks a lot.[/html]I got an answer back from BT:

"200GB would constitute as heavy usage on a residential connection and you will be throttled. It is probably better to speak to the sales department about a business connection."

So that means....more money if I wanna have a decent ratio of download? Cause for me 200Gb is more than rasonable for a "unlimited Broadband".

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

And thats why a lot of places say subject to fair usage policy rather than give a limit. Its a limit not a target

yeah we did go a bit crazy that week,i'd only moved in a few weeks and we hadn't got around to sorting out network shares so we were both downloading a lot of the same stuff it was a great connection don;t think i ever saw it drop below the full 3Mbit

• Advertisement

"200GB would constitute as heavy usage on a residential connection and you will be throttled. It is probably better to speak to the sales department about a business connection."

So that means....more money if I wanna have a decent ratio of download? Cause for me 200Gb is more than rasonable for a "unlimited Broadband".

In fairness your using a home broadband service for something you mention as freelance profession a business package is much more suited to your needs.

200GB a month is about 2000% more the the average joe does in a month (10GB being the average joe's amount....and thats generously rounding it up)

Hi guys

I was wondering if I can order a bussiness service without be or have a bussiness company.
    I mean that I dont have Irish VAT or something like that, since I only work sometimes as freelance, but are kinda "contributions" with Spain in which not always is involved money.

cheers

Hi guys

I was wondering if I can order a bussiness service without be or have a bussiness company.
    I mean that I dont have Irish VAT or something like that, since I only work sometimes as freelance, but are kinda "contributions" with Spain in which not always is involved money.

cheers

You could register a business...doesn't cost alot or when I had BT Business I had to pay a 500e deposit, in saying that however it appears to depend what agents you got in sales as I know people who didn't have to pay any deposit.

This was back in 2003 though

I wish to open a bussiness, I heard as well that doesn't cost a lot, but I have no idea how to start....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 downloader

Hi lads

[html]Hi
    In regard with your product:
    Broadband option 3: up to 24mb

Due to my freelance/hobbie profession as video editor, I know that I'll reach some days a quote or 6GB downloaded of video.

If I keep a rate of 200GB montly, I will be throtted?

I was wondering if even paying an extra fee I could avoid this throttling cause I would need the line at any time.

Thanks a lot.[/html]I got an answer back from BT:

i have just got 200gb monthly download allowance [ i am just a normal household] from BT as i was about to move to a different supplier, i only asked them [BT] for my MAC address and they talked me into staying plus load of other phone perks, £15.16 for 200gb download monthly

and they asked me if i wanted more, 300gb at same price, but i will never use it

so its out there, but their not going to tell you till you threaten to leave them

downloader wrote: »
    i have just got 200gb monthly download allowance [ i am just a normal household] from BT as i was about to move to a different supplier, i only asked them [BT] for my MAC address and they talked me into staying plus load of other phone perks, £15.16 for 200gb download monthly

and they asked me if i wanted more, 300gb at same price, but i will never use it

so its out there, but their not going to tell you till you threaten to leave them

You might want to re-read this thread, all of this thread refers to BT Ireland not BT Retail in the UK,

You are referring to BT Retail in the UK which has totally different packages and pricing structure to BT Ireland....please do not try and compare the two as they are nothing alike

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

To be honest i have never heard anyone get wrapped on the knuckles for downloading too much from either Magnet or Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Agreed with above - in particular on the higher speed packages. Might raise a few eyebrows on the lower speed ones.

See my previous post on this here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58224815&postcount=4

We do tell people to take it easy if they go nuts by the way and if they keep going nuts we discuss options with them. fairest approach.

Advertisement