Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

invading your space

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Yeah, personal space is extremely important to me generally.

People standing too close to me in queues drives me nuts...I have even asked people not to do it on occassion, cue a befuzzled look on their part!!

It really is something I CANNOT stand!!

Good to know its not just me;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

honey79 wrote: »
    im so glad this is not just me was thinking i was a freak :D

imagine if you did freak though! that would be a sight to see. (not you in particular but anyone) I think its the same for men, im not fond of being stood too close to, but in general no one ever touches me unless they are a good friend and at that stage they know the boundaries and its all fine

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

God, I thought I had a problem with personal space but after reading this I think I'm pretty cool with it, in comparison to you guys.

I used to be freaked out in Spain, having to kiss everyone, not even just friends and acquaintances, but people you've just met.

I suppose I've just kind of got used to it now, in fact, I almost wish we had some sort of standardised greeting for our friends in Ireland. I never know if I should go for the hug, the kiss on one cheek or the handshake. Might just start high-fiving people.

I do hate people too close to me in queues, I hate it even more on the roads. Tail-gaters GO TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I find my self gettin agravated if some one invade's my space i dont like it at all, actully it gets me quite mad unless its some one i dont mind but i dont have a problem with reminding some one of my personal space is no problem to me, they get embarrised i dont really care i dont like something say it.... if you can...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

im not a big fan of close queuers, but i get over it

what really really bugs me is when female colleagues/acquaintences go to hug me and kiss me on the cheek.

kisses on the cheek are for people im close to, family and good friends, not for someone i was in college with ten years ago and never really liked in the first place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

I was in the supermarket recently and the guy behind me in the queue was standing so close I could feel his breath. Then he sidled out from behind me and was standing next to me in the queue - as if we were there together. I turned away slightly as it was a little too close for comfort and then he popped up on the other side of me! It was a long queue and everyone was getting impatient but standing on top of me wasn't going to help! No matter how I moved he still seemed to be touching some part of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Does anyone else hate when you are on a bus, and there are plenty of free seats around, ie. 2 empty seats net to each other.

Then someone bundles onto the bus, and plonks down NEXT TO YOU!!!:mad:

Also these people are usually the ones who are running for the bus, and are panting/breathing heavily, and usually sweating.

There's a free seat just 3 feet away ffs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Does anyone else hate when you are on a bus, and there are plenty of free seats around, ie. 2 empty seats net to each other.

Also these people are usually the ones who are running for the bus, and are panting/breathing heavily, and usually sweating.

I *hate* this. I actually excuse myself, get up, and move to a free seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Wow, I'm so glad the days of public transport are behind me! I'd get up and move too if someone did this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Oh yeah! I find that bizarre, not just annoying.

Although I saw the opposite once - really busy train, girl on her own pretending to people the seat next to her was taken any time she was asked (and she was asked a lot). I was opposite her - she was definitely on her own for the whole journey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

No problem with anybody sitting beside me on bus or train . It's when they smell like thay haven't washed for a month ,that's when I up and move :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ricecakes

I still find personal space an issue, esp ques into nightclubs (though its been awhile since i've been in one :rolleyes:) and hugs/ kisses from old college people, i never even knew that well in college! just because I'm female does not mean I like hugs!
    I had all those problems on buses too, but i've a weird thing where, when the condensation builds up on buses, I hate the idea that I'm breathing in other peoples used air :confused: I know its weird, but really annoys me when people closed windows I'd just opened- I like fresh air, it stops me getting travel sick- and noone on the bus should want that!!:o
    also, I reacted to a girl sitting next to me on a bus once, her hand had been resting on/beside my leg for ages, and I was boxed in at the window seat, cause me (after a long time keeping to myself) to say out rather loudly, STOP TOUCHING ME!! poor girl had no idea she'd been getting to me, wouldn't mind but she was my best friend!!
    I'm ALOT better now, just reasonable in my "bubble" space, once you do NOT talk through the bathroom door, or only in emergency! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Latchy wrote: »
    No problem with anybody sitting beside me on bus or train
    I don't either... when there are no other free seats (as in, double free seats).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't either... when there are no other free seats (as in, double free seats).
    Which is as rare as a hens teeth at rush hr .

Advertisement