Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Winter Garden C&C

• 15-02-2009 2:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭

I have been reading a lot of posts recently here on boards of people encouraging others to step out of their comfort zone with the camera and to try something new. It's not an easy thing to do. But I tought i'd give it a go. I was aiming to get plenty of "Nice" Bokeh and narrow depth of field. These are not macro in the usual sense. I consider them all to be closeups. :rolleyes:

Two lenses were used to create the set. The EF-S 60mm macro and the EF 70-200mm with a closeup filter and a 1.4 tele extension. I also got a chance to try out a new DIY diffuser which I made from some translucent plastic bought in B&Q.

The full set is here in flickr if you are interested to look. Below are just a few of what I consider to be the best of the bunch.

C&C always welcome and appricated.

Dave OS

picture.php?albumid=446&pictureid=2354

picture.php?albumid=446&pictureid=2346

picture.php?albumid=446&pictureid=2349

picture.php?albumid=446&pictureid=2361

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 CrazyTrain

A really beautiful set.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Thanks for the comment CrazyTrain.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭kgiller

Nice set Dave. I think you achieved what you set out to achieve. The bokeh in the last 2 shots is a really nice colour. # 3 is my favourite,but i like them all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

they are very nice Dave. I mean this in the nicest possible way, they look like a set of pictures that you might pick up in B&Q or Woodies, kind of showhouse decoration type of pix

Thanks guys. I suppose its a start. Letting go of my usual habits when shooting these was a bit awkward. Almost everything was different. These included using the narrowist DoF I could get. Letting other foliage get in the way of the lense and the subject and just focusing right past it. Not worrying too much about the exact focus point. Zooming to the longest end of the lense (200mm +). Diffusion of the flash light with a very large (16 x 10 inch) piece of translucient plastic attached to the end of the lense.

The post processing was minimal too. Untouched, I imported from Lightroom to Photoshop to do a bit of noise reduction and to frame them. Then back in Lightroom I dropped the contrast way down and brightened them up slightly.

It's making me want to go out and buy the daddy of all macro lenses. The EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro. ;)

Dave OS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Oh yes.

Am loving the pink blur at the front of the third one there, and you can't go wrong with skeletonsy hydrangea :D lovely lovely stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

After reading the thread title, i was fearing to come across another landscape shot of another desolate back garden. With probably some snow topped across it.

But no, i was greeted with some amazing winter fauna. So good job there for not disappointing me! Love the bokeh!

The 1st one and 2nd one are my favorite. Love the colors there.
    Also the shade of pink in the 3rd one is quite pleasing too. The 4th one is fine but the bokeh in it seems a wee bit harsh. But i'm only nitpicking... Good stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

And this is stepping outside your comfort zone........:)

They are all lovely but #2 stands out for me, gorgeous muted tones, lovely composition and a butterfly thrown in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Irish Gardener

imag0101_197.jpg

I am far from a photographer, but we have thread over on the Irish gardeners forum dedicated to glimpses of spring in the garden.
    If any of you get a chance, have a look and let me know what you think.
    Signs of spring in the garden.

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I guess i'll be trying more with this approach in the future.
    dakar wrote: »
    And this is stepping outside your comfort zone........:)
    Yeah... lol. Just trying to be more Arty Farty with the photos.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Great set, hope you get them printed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

Great composition in number 2 :pac:

Advertisement