Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castleblayney

• 15-02-2009 4:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I was born in North America but my mom's family originated from Castleblayney. Was wondering if it was worth visiting and what there is to do there/in the area. Does the city have any reputation

I passed through it once a couple years ago on a bus.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

• Registered Users Posts: 42 babarino

Castleblayney is sometimes referred to as the Nashville of Ireland, due to the many country singers in the area, like Big Tom and Margo (D O' Donnell's sister).

Despite the honky tonk image 'Blayney has Iontas an excellent arts centre If you're into golf theres a fine one about to open and there's very nice walks around Lough Muckno and would be a good base to head for Dublin and the Mourne/Cooley Mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

City ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

testicle wrote: »
    City ???

+1 now Blaney is hardly a city!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

Well there's lots of lakes around if you're into fishing. TBH apart from the stuff listed above there isn't too much else to do around castleblaney. You wouldn't spend a week there or anything.....

Saying that the Patrick Kavanagh centre in Inniskeen isn't too far away and it's less then an hour and a half to Dublni and Belfast so it could be an ok base

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

i'm from blayney. it's way off the tourist radar in ireland. And you rarely egt many tourists at all. Not a huge amount goes on around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Blayney isn't being used to full potential tourism-wise. It has some beautiful countryside on it's doorstep and could be such a tidy quaint tourist town if there was some work put in to it!
    There aren't any tourist hostels here or anything that would make you stay longer than a day or two.
    With the decrepid state of the Lough Muckno area, it is an embarassment to recommend it to tourists with the big potholes, the tennis courts and general neglect of the place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭+*EliteSniper*+

Am from Blayney :D Nice enough wee place most people around the town are friendly :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Young_Werther

Do people in Castleblayney have any affinity to the people of Armagh? It's pretty close by.. Or perhaps Louth or Cavan?

Not really

• Advertisement

If "affinity" means fighting with them after Switchs closes and shagging their wimmin, then yes, we have a very close affinity with people from Armagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

My father is from Blaney, I however barely ever get to go up there.

Its not the blooming metropolis that you think it is but it is a beautiful place.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭auditek923

visit carrickmacross, ten times better than castleblaney

do they still eat their young in Carrick?

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Number Nine

Hi,

I was born in North America but my mom's family originated from Castleblayney. Was wondering if it was worth visiting and what there is to do there/in the area. Does the city have any reputation

Hi

I am from Blayney .moved on 20 years ago. Our house backs onto Lough Muckno . When I was growing up, fishing in Lough Muckno was a big tourist attraction . There were a lot of German visitors that came for the fishing . The black island was like our play ground. Lovley place, Friendly people , Safe place and peaceful .

Your the first person I ever heard call it a city , make sure you tell your mother you called it a city and watch your reaction .

I finished school in Blayney around 1979 . In them days 90% of my class emigrated to the UK or the USA. So its possible your mother was one of those people ?

auditek923 wrote: »
    visit carrickmacross, ten times better than castleblaney

Anyone that tells you that Carrickmacross is a nicer place than Blayney is living on another planet .
    Do people in Castleblayney have any affinity to the people of Armagh? It's pretty close by.. Or perhaps Louth or Cavan?

Blayney people are very independent even from Monaghan County , Possible closer to Dundalk that anywhere else .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Sam Hain wrote: »
    do they still eat their young in Carrick?

I don't know, but they probably should. I remember when I was younger coming home from the Oasis... Talk about an Hobbesian State of Nature!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭fifomania

Young_Werther, did you decide whether to visit Castleblayney?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Best thing about Castleblayney is the bypass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

It has the highest unemployment rate in County Monaghan and has a large population of former residents of Northern Ireland who can no longer reside there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭surveys

Hi,

This was posted in February and I wonder if Young Werther is still reading it. ? If he is then a few real truths might not be out of place. In fact as all Blaney people know the 'Town' is much worse now that it ever was. Roads dug up by contractors building the new Byepass and never repaired. How anyone can actually live in Blaney and not be appalled at what has been done to the town's roads is beyond comprehension. The main thoroughfare through a Town just abandoned in a state worse than the roads in the backwoods of Africa ? If the writer would like to see a Town totally neglected and completely run down then visit Blaney. ! That beautiful golf course around Lake Muchno, mentioned by others, has also now been abandoned and one hates to think what plans there might be for its future, if there are any at all. ? How is it possible for Town and County Councillors to watch their Town disintegrating and not do anything about it. ?
    Young Werther would be advised to give Blaney a miss and perhaps go somewhere where they look after their Town and take pride in it ?

• Advertisement

I prob live in the nicest place in Blaney (Dundalk Road) :)

No you don't

?emm yeh i do

nah, you're so wrong, i live on the dundalk road, and i know you aint cool, denny

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭oneillMan999

I went to school in blayney, and i never liked it..the town is a sh1thole and its gettin worse and worse...it used to be kinda nice around lough muckno and black island...visit carrick..better craic and nicer people ;)

nah, you're so wrong, i live on the dundalk road, and i know you aint cool, denny

Am cool.. End of story lol

By the way who are you lol

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SMCG

As a 'blow in' to Blayney I would have to say Dundalk Rd must be one of the nicer places to live, however Tullynacrunnet (sp) and Conabury are lovely too with less traffic. I do agree with previous posters that the whole town is going downhill and I know people trying to do things about it many times over the years and so much politics behind why it's left to rot. ALLEGEDLY Much to do with the county managers involvement in the big company that was using the lake area for personal profit and when the townpeople took them to court to stop it all from being destroyed the county manager and council ALLEGEDLY withheld Blayney's development funding when it was all being handed out there about 7 years ago. So no money went to Blayney when it went to Carrick (sitting TD) and other areas.
    One of the reasons why Ireland is a crap place to live. More corruption (big and small) here than any other country I've lived - and that's a few.

Advertisement